Best way to use the MSAR in picking schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really trying to narrow down my list to under 20 and I got a MSAR, but I was hoping that people could share some of the ways they used it to narrow down their list. For instance, if my GPA is below the 10% mark for a certain school (let's say Cornell), is it basically not worth it to apply there?

I did noticed that all the numbers there are for "accepted" students, so is it possible that the matriculate numbers will be slightly lower. (That is for the non-Harvard/Johns Hopkins sort of schools).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am really trying to narrow down my list to under 20 and I got a MSAR, but I was hoping that people could share some of the ways they used it to narrow down their list. For instance, if my GPA is below the 10% mark for a certain school (let's say Cornell), is it basically not worth it to apply there?

I did noticed that all the numbers there are for "accepted" students, so is it possible that the matriculate numbers will be slightly lower. (That is for the non-Harvard/Johns Hopkins sort of schools).

Thanks!

Yeah I'd use this as a way to eliminate schools. Unless you're hiding some super awesome EC that will wow them, being below the 10% mark means you likely will not fit in with the type of applicants that school looks for.

A general rule that Apumic preaches (which is gospel IMO) is the best way to maximize your chances is to have a decent number of schools with a relatively low number of applicants (<4000, I pulled this number out of my rear but it's a decent benchmark).

So let's say you have a handful of schools in the same general ballpark and you want to whittle it down, I'd start with the schools with the most applicants (NYMC, GW, most of the schools in Pennsylvania, etc).

I also agree with Narmerguy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it doesn't absolutely rule out any chances of admission; someone in the 10th percentile GPA might have a 90th percentile MCAT.. that being said if there's no factors like that pulling up the lower ends of your application then I guess it's not the best idea to wager too much on chances of getting in. And yeah--as you said, accepted student stats would likely exceed matriculant student stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it doesn't absolutely rule out any chances of admission; someone in the 10th percentile GPA might have a 90th percentile MCAT.. that being said if there's no factors like that pulling up the lower ends of your application then I guess it's not the best idea to wager too much on chances of getting in. And yeah--as you said, accepted student stats would likely exceed matriculant student stats.

:thumbup:

are you guys using both the science GPA and the cumulative GPA as a guide? I remember someone saying that the first thing med schools look at is your science GPA and MCAT...but I guess cumulative GPA must factor in somehow.

oh and I am also slightly confused because I also bought the USNEWS week and based on those numbers, Cornell has lower numbers than Columbia. Between the two, I thought I was going to apply to Cornell. The MSAR is telling me a different story. Is the MSAR a more reliable source?

are you guys using both the science GPA and the cumulative GPA as a guide? I remember someone saying that the first thing med schools look at is your science GPA and MCAT...but I guess cumulative GPA must factor in somehow.

oh and I am also slightly confused because I also bought the USNEWS week and based on those numbers, Cornell has lower numbers than Columbia. Between the two, I thought I was going to apply to Cornell. The MSAR is telling me a different story. Is the MSAR a more reliable source?

MSAR = stats for accepted applicants
USNews = stats for matriculants

A general rule that Apumic preaches (which is gospel IMO) is the best way to maximize your chances is to have a decent number of schools with a relatively low number of applicants (<4000, I pulled this number out of my rear but it's a decent benchmark).

So let's say you have a handful of schools in the same general ballpark and you want to whittle it down, I'd start with the schools with the most applicants (NYMC, GW, most of the schools in Pennsylvania, etc).

I also agree with Narmerguy.

so you mean you would not apply to place like GW because everyone applies there? I guess it makes sense. I would just love love love to be in NYC but i guess so does everyone else.

so you mean you would not apply to place like GW because everyone applies there? I guess it makes sense. I would just love love love to be in NYC but i guess so does everyone else.

Well, there are always many considerations (proximity to family, cost, type of curriculum, etc) but all else being equal, yes I'd avoid schools with a huge number of applicants. Drexel might be the best example I can think of offhand. Everyone looks and says, 'Oh hey, a 3.55 and 30... I've got these numbers so I'll apply' (while at the same time 11000 others have this realization --> no longer a safety school).

Good advice, I agree. You would have to show that you are really interesting in the school, otherwise they can't tell you apart from the other 5000 applicants. Sigh, I was going to apply to Drexel for exactly that reason LOL

Another thing that is important to me is the financial aid. I have come to terms with the fact that I will be taking a lot of loans, and its fine. But I noticed that some schools' students graduate with less loans than others, you guys consider this? For Drexel it looks like the average debt is 200k O.O

I think the main criteria you should be using to pick schools is MCAT. GPA should be a very distant second. You are WAY more likely to end up at a school where your GPA doesn't match up favorably with the school's numbers. For instance someone with a 3.5/37 is competitive at any school whereas someone with a 4.0/30 might find it hard to get into one med school.

Another thing that is important to me is the financial aid. I have come to terms with the fact that I will be taking a lot of loans, and its fine. But I noticed that some schools' students graduate with less loans than others, you guys consider this? For Drexel it looks like the average debt is 200k O.O

that average debt number is usually more a function of differences in parental financial support than it is need based financial aid (which is basically non-existent at most med schools). i think it's absolutely meaningless because everyone's situation is different.

While I understand this, you really can't predict the application process. My friend got accepted into BU, and I got accepted into Jefferson. These are some of the schools with the highest amount of applicants. I really did like Jefferson too. I wouldn't say to discount or count on this category of schools.

I think there is a random chance involved in getting interviews at schools with huge applicant pools like the DC ones. I also think if you truly demonstrate that you're not treating the school as a "safety school," not spraying and praying, you'll come off as someone who has sincere interest in enrolling. They need to weed out applications for people that don't fit their M.O., or who wouldn't even attend if they got were offered a spot.

This is the process I used:

1) Get some of those sticky note flags to flag pages with.

2) Flag all schools at which your numbers are "competitive." I would define competitive as your numbers being above the 50th percentile based on the data in the MSAR.

3) Flag a couple of reach schools if you'd like along with a couple of safety schools.

4) Eliminate any schools in geographical areas in which you absolutely wouldn't want to be.

5) Eliminate schools that don't accept many OOS students if you're OOS.

6) If necessary, go to the websites of the remaining schools and eliminate schools that are missing specific things you're looking for. For example, do you want a school affiliated with an undergrad campus? The ability to work in free clinics? The ability to pursue a particular dual degree program?

That should leave you with a reasonable list. If you can't get the number below your target, either choose schools at random or buck it up and pay for the extra fees.\

You need to be judicious when eliminating schools, however. For example, don't eliminate your safety schools just because they're in areas you wouldn't want to be. That would be stupid. You need to give yourself a list of schools at which you're competitive and wouldn't absolutely dread attending. You can be more picky depending on your stats and other specific things, but for the average applicant you need to be realistic and pick schools accordingly.

Thanks guys. Ya, my main issue right now is that I don't want to eliminate any "safety" schools, but at the same time I look at schools like Stanford and I am like ooooo maybe??? please????

I might end up paying the extra bucks and apply to more schools. :\