Best workouts/exercises for dental students and future dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tandem7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow SDNers!

So one of my New Years resolutions is to change up my workout routine to make it better for my future career. Clearly dentists need back strength, neck strength, and good core strength to do what they do without hurting themselves or getting a bad posture. Any suggestions on good exercises and or types of workouts that would be good for dentists and/or dental students?

I'm thinking: yoga, pilates, deadlifts, core exercises, and pull downs. I also think the foam roller would be good. I'd love to hear any other thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested too. Hope someone answers.

Read the December issue of the dentaltown magazine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight up calisthenics. Need nothing other than your own body weight :)

Plus you get a badge of badassery if you start pumping out flags and muscle-ups

Reactions: 1 user
While a dentist youll be hunched over focusing intently on your work for a large part of your day and after years of doing this you will develop a hunchback and many back problems. Here are some tips for that:

--Pull ups will be the best workout you can possibly do to prevent and even fix a hunchback and other back problems.

--Laying on your back on one of those large yoga balls for 10+ minutes will also help greatly for preventing/fixing hunchback and back pain.

--Strengthen your posterior chain (exercises like foam roller and glute bridges are good, google for more exercises); when you sit for long periods of time your gluts, hamstrings, and lower back muscles atrophy due to lack of use and this will open you up to a whole host of potential risks for debilitating injuries while in the gym and in your day-to-day life, with your risk increasing as you age. Side benefit: your butt will hurt less while sitting in one place for a long time thanks to the added muscle acting as a cushion.

--Do your typical back workouts (google if you dont have any): Doing rows on the machine or w/ free weights is excellent for your back and posture. Shoulder shrugs will give you a nice thick and strong neck as well, which will prevent neck injuries to a certain degree and has the added bonus of making you look better if youre a guy. Deadlift and squats are good but there is no need to showoff your strength by using very heavy weights because it is guaranteed you will hurt yourself if you push yourself too hard.

--Cardio: If youre a guy, run/sprint (not jog) for 10/15 minutes a few times a week, it'll keep your HGH and testosterone levels at a healthy level and this will keep you (and your back) strong and if injury does happen youll be able to recover faster. So much about health is about maintaining the right levels of hormones. (Jogging for long periods of time is unhealthy for guys. Dont believe me? Compare the body of an Olympic sprinter with a professional marathon runner.) Apologizes, girls I dont know if this will be beneficial or even applies to you.

--etc etc

Workout your entire body, not just your upper body like some people do. Your body really does run more efficiently and is less prone to injury when all your muscles are worked on and none are neglected. You dont have to be committed to the same level as a bodybuilder, 3 times a week for about an hour each session is fine. Focus on form (doing the exercises right), thats whats most important.

How did I figure this out? Easy. Long periods of time studying puts a very similar type of back tension that dentists tend to experience on me and after I took a break from the gym the tension and mild backaches became annoying so I read up and tried a bunch of things to resolve the problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Make sure it's not just getting in shape but eating right too. I'm learning how to cook and making healthy meals everyday so that I'll be able to eat right when d-school starts :)

On the weekends I do a lot of pilates and yoga but during the weekday when I only have around 45 min to actually exercise, I play Zumba Fitness on the Wii (complete core and cardio workout) and then finish the routine with the free Tone It Up videos on YouTube to really tone up.

I'm not sure if OP is a guy or girl lol but I'm a girl, and this has helped me a lot in staying fit.

As for a more gender neutral exercise, I highly recommend doing Pilates. It helps you build a lean, muscular, and strong body and when you're consumed with studying, it's a pretty quick exercise that gives you results without having to head to a gym.

doing back bridges after sitting on a chair all day feels sooo good...i would work on back muscles and force good posture

Cook healthy food in bulk :D

Pull ups , pull ups, pull ups, and more pull ups!

It's a compound workout that targets multiple muscle groups and can be done easily at home.

For cardio, you can run or swim 20-30 mins, 5 times a week and you should be fine.
I prefer running because it requires less time to get ready and finish up =P

I'm also thinking: core (lower back) and exercises for the arms are the best you can do. You should definitely try russian twists as a good core strengthener.

I'm also thinking: core (lower back) and exercises for the arms are the best you can do. You should definitely try russian twists as a good core strengthener.

I <3 Russian Twists.

Strong core = easier to keep a good posture and maintain good balance. So squats and deadlifts will help greatly.

I used to have back pain occasionally when I'd travel because of sleeping on air mattresses and cheap motel beds. Since I started heavy weight training that really hasn't been an issue. I think the biggest factor is deadlifting which I think is one of the best exercises you can do if you execute it with proper technique. You don't get to lifting 500+ lbs off of the ground without having a strong and healthy back.

I've been using TRX bands for a while, great results, massive amounts if core strength and completely body weight (low injury rate) . You can YouTube excercises, I highly recommend them. I used to be a gym rat but since I've changed to TRX it allows me to be outside and no gym membership needed!

@caliman10 Do you have any good youtube videos that you recommend for TRX? What is TRX exactly?

@caliman10 Do you have any good youtube videos that you recommend for TRX? What is TRX exactly?
TRX Is a suspension trainer, if you just YouTube TRX workout you'll see them they are usually yellow and black bands with handles that you use. If you are serious about them I can write some workouts or find videos

TRX Is a suspension trainer, if you just YouTube TRX workout you'll see them they are usually yellow and black bands with handles that you use. If you are serious about them I can write some workouts or find videos