Better option before med school -- MS or MSB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeLaSoul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is one degree significantly favored over the other when applying to med school?

The MS program is 30 credits and involves a thesis.

The MSB program is 25 credits. It's non-thesis but involves a multi-semester research rotation where you focus on developing lab techniques, etc.

With the MSB you can specialize. Not the case with the MS.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of the MS or MSB before applying to medical school? GPA repair? Because I don't think that grad courses will help your undergrad GPA

Both degrees are offered as options for SMPs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine it would matter much from a medical school's perspective.

I'm not poistive but I don't think the grades from a SMP are averaged into your undergrad GPA either... But being in the program might help with linkages to medical school. Maybe look into this more

If both are offered as SMPs, choose whichever one you find more interesting. Completing a special masters will definitely make you more competitive in the eyes of adcoms if your uGPA is low, provided you do well.

Agree with the above. You're better off to take more undergrad classes for GPA repair than to take a master's, particularly one which will not garner you publications. Except for the SMPs, graduate degrees to get into med school are ineffective, and a waste of your time.