Better to submit no scores before match or one passing passing and one fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cloud805

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rank link deadline is coming up and I'm sitting on a passed ck and a failed cs. Unfortunately I got the latter before the former. I'm debating between not submitting my scores at all before the deadline approaches or releasing both and risk programs seeing my step 2 cs failed attempt. Thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for replying. I think that many Americans apply with just step 1 but do they match with just step 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rank link deadline is coming up and I'm sitting on a passed ck and a failed cs. Unfortunately I got the latter before the former. I'm debating between not submitting my scores at all before the deadline approaches or releasing both and risk programs seeing my step 2 cs failed attempt. Thoughts.
I think it depends on what you're going into and/or the programs you applied to. A lot of IM categorical programs that I applied to required all steps (1, CK, and CS) to be completed before ranking some even requiring them by Dec 31. So you may want to look into the programs you're ranking to double check their requirements.

Agreed with above -- would not submit ck/cs at all. All the programs I know of that require ck/cs also require both to be passed, so submitting a failing score would presumably be no better than no score at all. Definitely do your due diligence before clicking the resubmit button. Sorry to hear you were one of the random unlucky ones on CS -- that was the only step exam so far where I've truly walked out not sure whether I passed or not. hopefully you can get it passed asap and put it behind you.

I think it depends on what you're going into and/or the programs you applied to. A lot of IM categorical programs that I applied to required all steps (1, CK, and CS) to be completed before ranking some even requiring them by Dec 31. So you may want to look into the programs you're ranking to double check their requirements.

Just curious as to what programs these were. I applied to a bunch of IM categorical programs as well and did not have this issue in the slightest. Most required step 1 for interview, but step 2 CK and CS by matriculation in July. The only 2 I know of that "required" CS being completed by ranklist deadline were Mayo and UCSF.

But in regards to the OP, I agree with the above posts, as you cannot submit one or the other, it would have to be both.

Just curious as to what programs these were. I applied to a bunch of IM categorical programs as well and did not have this issue in the slightest. Most required step 1 for interview, but step 2 CK and CS by matriculation in July. The only 2 I know of that "required" CS being completed by ranklist deadline were Mayo and UCSF.

But in regards to the OP, I agree with the above posts, as you cannot submit one or the other, it would have to be both.
A majority of the programs I applied to were in Texas and Midwest. Don't know if that's what factors into it. But it definitely forced a timeline on when I had to be done with the Steps.