bevacizumab and radiation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burt Radnolds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work with a medical oncologist who is in love with Avastin. He constantly sends me patients actively getting the drug, requesting different forms of radiation, sometimes including SBRT. I have seen some cautionary tales, especially regarding GI toxicity (esophagus, bowel, etc).

Was wondering how people are dealing with this? Also, thoughts on same question with Tarceva?

Members don't see this ad.

ummmm I don't treat pts who received avastin within the last 3 weeks, personally. If this med onc is avastin happy, I'd consider sitting down and talking with him/her about the concerns of concurrent treatment and possible toxicity preferably with some of the data that's been accumulated on the issue.

They are mostly lung cancer patients and he is dosing on a 21 day cycle. I usually advocate to skip one cycle to give several weeks of "wash out", then treat, then he can resume on the next scheduled cycle.

Thanks for your response, was interested in getting as many opinions as possible as there don't seem to be any firm recommendations on it that I've seen at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are mostly lung cancer patients and he is dosing on a 21 day cycle. I usually advocate to skip one cycle to give several weeks of "wash out", then treat, then he can resume on the next scheduled cycle.

Thanks for your response, was interested in getting as many opinions as possible as there don't seem to be any firm recommendations on it that I've seen at least.
Probably not a big concern theoretically if you were treating peripheral lung with SBRT or external away from the mediastinum, but personally I woudn't chance it

I'm afraid enough to refuse to treat unless they've been off it for 2-3 weeks..I wouldn't feel comfortable personally doing SBRT concurrent

just discussed that... for central lung targets (black box warning), I wait for 6 weeks.

Sorry, missed the conversation below, just read it. Any thoughts on liver SBRT? Thoughts on how long before restarting the drug?