BF3-nonpolar?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inaccensa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is BF3 nonpolar? The dipole moment extend from fluorine to boron. Although it has a trigonal planar geometry, but kaplan says its geometric structure helps cancel out the dipole moment. Can someone please explain this!!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

dipole moments are vectors like force. is CH4 polar? the dipole moment extends from hydrogen to carbon.

b/c boron doesnt have extra valence lone pairs. if it did then we'd have a problem. since it doesnt the molecule is planar, and the dipoles cancel out nicely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine Boron is like a pole sticking vertically. Now think vectors. If I put three equal forces from people pulling on ropes tied to the pole (like the flourines), 120 degrees apart, (the same a trigonal planar) the pole wont move.
Run through a vector calculation with forces, youll see they all add up to zero.

to answer your Q, read your post again -

How is BF3 nonpolar? The dipole moment extend from fluorine to boron. Although it has a trigonal planar geometry, but kaplan says its geometric structure helps cancel out the dipole moment. Can someone please explain this!!:confused:

Look at it like this.
You have a box and you are applying 20 Newtons of force to the left, right, top, and bottom. Every force cancels each other out.
In trigonal planar, the forces are 120 degrees apart and their i and j vectors cancel each other out.
Just do the math.

(cos0 + cos120 + cos240) x 20N =
(sin0 +sin120+ cos240) x 20N=

I haven't calculated it, but both will give you 0.
That was the mathematical way of looking at it.

Imagine Boron is like a pole sticking vertically. Now think vectors. If I put three equal forces from people pulling on ropes tied to the pole (like the flourines), 120 degrees apart, (the same a trigonal planar) the pole wont move.
Run through a vector calculation with forces, youll see they all add up to zero.

:thumbup:

FacePalm_picard.jpg

here is an easier question:
is O=C=O polar? You got a loooong ways to study...

Look at it like this.
You have a box and you are applying 20 Newtons of force to the left, right, top, and bottom. Every force cancels each other out.
In trigonal planar, the forces are 120 degrees apart and their i and j vectors cancel each other out.
Just do the math.

(cos0 + cos120 + cos240) x 20N =
(sin0 +sin120+ cos240) x 20N=

I haven't calculated it, but both will give you 0.
That was the mathematical way of looking at it.

Thanks that makes sense. :thumbup: