Bicitra for elective c-sxn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I give it to all my c-sections. I have had to convert a spinal to general anesthetic a couple of times in my short career and was very glad we gave bicitra preop.
Why were you glad it was given? Did the pts vomit on induction and did they aspirate?

Because, if this didn't happen then I don't know why it would matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either that or Alka-Seltzer Gold.

From the ASA Practice guidelines on Obstetric Anesthesia:

"...The consultants and ASA members agree that the administration of a nonparticulate antacid before operative procedures reduces maternal complications"

What about bicitra makes it an antacid? It's pH is 4.2. It's citric acid. Why would we give that to someone we are worried about aspirating acid?

What about bicitra makes it an antacid? It's pH is 4.2. It's citric acid. Why would we give that to someone we are worried about aspirating acid?
Bicitra is not citric acid it is sodium citrate and when added to hydrochloric acid in the stomach it produces sodium chloride and a much weaker organic acid "citric acid"

What a weird topic to start trolling about.... And to post the same thing two threads ? I just don't get it.

But almost everyone who digs up old threads about the same strange subject.