Big Blue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatshepsut

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where you can download big blue book or audio?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep. i think that is the only website that has jensens stuff. you could also try e-mailing or calling him (the contact info is on the website) to see if he offers any downloadable products but i don't think that he does. good luck!

That guy is so rabidly paranoid about people pirating his stuff, to the point that he threatens to unleash his oily horde of lawyers even upon people who legitimately sell their original books when they're done with them, that it'll be a cold day in hell that he deliberately offers anything for download.

He hasn't been particularly good about updating Big Blue for the last 10 years or so, either. Apparently he made a decision to focus on his in-person courses which are immune to copyright infringement.

Which is his absolute right of course; it just diminishes the value of his written materials every year that goes by.

anyone know when the latest updated version is? My program has a copy from i think 2001/2002, it seems really old but could it be the latest/only version that he sells?

I bought a copy in 2007 or maybe 2008, and it wasn't significantly different than the 2003 copy in the residents' library.

I'd be curious if the sections on enflurane and copper kettles are still in the version he sells now.

I thought someone told me their recent version was the 18th or 19th edition.

Probably not a lot of changes from 2007/08, but probably from 2001.

CJ

copper kettle is gone... but there is still a whole lotta halothane stuff.

Buy Faust. Much cheaper with almost all of the same material.

I think anyone who pays $500 for Big Blue should spend their money on more valuable resources. Just my $.02 after having gone through Big Blue.

Looking to buy a copy if anybody has one, prefer like new condition, unmarked if possible, PM me. Thanks.

I have the jensen audio cds if anyone is interested in buying it. It is the 2011 version. I need money to buy other review materials. These review books and classes are so expensive. Please PM me

Last edited:

I think anyone who pays $500 for Big Blue should spend their money on more valuable resources. Just my $.02 after having gone through Big Blue.

Let's face it. People want to waste their hard earned money. It makes them feel like their doing something substantive.

Cambie

That guy is so rabidly paranoid about people pirating his stuff, to the point that he threatens to unleash his oily horde of lawyers even upon people who legitimately sell their original books when they're done with them, that it'll be a cold day in hell that he deliberately offers anything for download.

He hasn't been particularly good about updating Big Blue for the last 10 years or so, either. Apparently he made a decision to focus on his in-person courses which are immune to copyright infringement.

Which is his absolute right of course; it just diminishes the value of his written materials every year that goes by.

While I always appreciate everyone's point of view and respect it, too, there are a couple of mistakes here. First, I constantly update my materials--CONSTANTLY. I rigorously try to stay up even with Guidelines published just months before--please know--and I work hours and hours and hours to summarize complex new material. If anyone knows of ANY errors in my materials or any way in which they are outdated, please let me know ASAP as our work together is important. Second, in fairness, please review and re-read my purchase agreement wherein people agree not to re-sell nor re-distribute my materials in ANY way; these are agreements which are made before materials are sent--in fairness. Agreement is not by default, but rather must be actively contemplated and checked off upon by all of my customers. In my opinion, people who then commit these violations are in violation of these stipulations, as is SDN for facilitating it, and I am looking into remedies. I have to protect myself and my family just as everyone else does, this does not make me a bad person, and I will sincerely hate for any resident friends to get involved or caught up in this dispute. Sincerely, Niels F. Jensen. PS--S0me have a vendetta against me for protecting myself, which I don't understand. And I hope everyone contemplates how pernicious and unfair chat rooms can be when it comes to making unfair allegations, spreading untruths and misrepresenting what others do. I am available anytime to talk at 800-321-3700, I am not anonymous, I try to help people pass Boards, I welcome your calls, and will answer your questions. Again, thanks, NFJ

Let's face it. People want to waste their hard earned money. It makes them feel like their doing something substantive.

Cambie
Hi Cambie:

Thanks for expressing your view--you are not alone in having it. However, please know, not everyone feels this way and I certainly don't feel in all of the letters I have received and people who write expressing genuine thanks, as I thank them for the chance to have helped them change their lives, that their money has been wasted nor my professional life wasted, either. Rather, I feel, together we have done good, for themselves and their families. The fact is, many struggle and need help and sometimes they don't get that help during residency. Again, I respect your view, but here is just one letter recently received which leads me to think others respectfully disagree with you. Of course, personally, and now at the end of 25 years of helping people, who wouldn't feel badly reading a sentiment like this. So I do. And yet, I forge on as just today I heard from a resident who needs help and whose entire career is now threatened. The letter below is someone who was helped, whose life is a little easier today. Thanks and always my best to all of you, Niels F. Jensen.

On 1/26/15 4:05 PM, "DXXXXX wrote:

Can you please forward this to Dr. Jensen? Thanks

Dr. Jensen,

I would like to send you a note of gratitude. I purchased Big Blue and

took your course in San Diego in preparation for repeating the Basic exam

in January. I was one of only 50 candidates that failed. I have a history

of poor performance on standardized tests and I completely agree with you

that it¹s embarrassing already. My PD and ³mentor² attending both told me

in December that they knew undoubtedly that I would fail in January

because my initial exam I scored in the lowest percentile. I told them I

was working with you, reading Big Blue, and completed your course in SD.

I told them you believed I would pass based on the study plan we

developed through Army of One, my scores on exams at your course. They

weren¹t interested, insisted they knew more about board prep than you.

Ha!!! I just smiled and continued our plan- read Big Blue 4x prior to the

exam, listened to the Stats CD repeatedly through November, December AND

on my way to the exam in January. And I found out this morning that I

passed. Thank you for working with me, helping me to find flaws in my

plan before it was too late, and for having confidence in me when my own

program turned their backs on me. I¹m sure they will find something else

to harass me over now. Now to start studying for the Advanced exam. I¹ll

see you in early 2016 at a course to prep for the next battle.

Thank you again,

DXXXXX

I agree--Big Blue is not for everyone, and Faust is a very good way to look up key words. Thanks, NFJ

anyone know when the latest updated version is? My program has a copy from i think 2001/2002, it seems really old but could it be the latest/only version that he sells?
Yes, I know. I update Big Blue every single year. I try to remove ALL outdated material, I try to update even the newest Guidelines, for example I currently have 8.5 hours into summarizing the new ACC/AHA Guidelines. I have recently updated the newest pre-eclampsia guidelines, as well as lastest ABA GAPS. Always happy to discuss these things so give me a call anytime, thanks, NFJ

I'm curious why when one pays you for the written materials you feel that you should still own the rights to the binder and keep people from selling it off. Rolex tries to do something similar with its watches, refusing service on pieces that have been modified in any way until returning them, at your expense, to original condition, and keeping the replacement dials, etc. even if they are 100% genuine parts. And they do this while extremely limiting the availability of replacement parts, and requesting/requiring all independent service providers to adhere to their rules. I guess it is always their watch, even though you're apparently leasing it for life for $10-50k.
It seems just as stupid.
So many other review books cost less and come without the additional nonsense. Perhaps it is hurting your business model. Speaking of which, aren't the use of remembered questions, etc. forbidden by the ABA? Maybe they should look into some remedies?
You have to protect your family, and their beach house, etc. makes perfect sense.
Is that even legal I have to wonder? You are selling the rights to read the material. Why not demand it back at the end?
PS nice that you implied that SDN and this forum was complicit in the reselling of your intellectual property. Stay classy NFJ.
Good luck with your remedies.
PPS how is anyone outside of an owner of your material supposed to know your ridiculous stipulations? No other text books share this. Good luck taking on EBAY, etc as well. Perhaps best to go after the owners that violate your agreements than threaten action on those that want nothing to do with your products.

Last edited: