Big difference if I take the DAT on 7/15 or 8/15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evistor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was initially planning to take the DAT in mid July since I needed a couple months of studying time after spring semester ends.

I am a returning student and I need a lot of refreshing to do. (I've taken gen chem and gen bio about 8-9 years ago )

Fortunately I live close to Orgoman's class and was wondering if I should take his class and take the DAT around mid August.

I was wondering application wise if there's a big difference if I take the DAT in July or August?

Transcripts and ROL will be already sent and I will be finalizing the application right after the DAT.

I would have to reconsider my plans if this month difference is going to make a significant difference but otherwise I would like to spend another month and aim for a higher DAT score.

Any advice please.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I was initially planning to take the DAT in mid July since I needed a couple months of studying time after spring semester ends.

I am a returning student and I need a lot of refreshing to do. (I've taken gen chem and gen bio about 8-9 years ago )

Fortunately I live close to Orgoman's class and was wondering if I should take his class and take the DAT around mid August.

I was wondering application wise if there's a big difference if I take the DAT in July or August?

Transcripts and ROL will be already sent and I will be finalizing the application right after the DAT.

I would have to reconsider my plans if this month difference is going to make a significant difference but otherwise I would like to spend another month and aim for a higher DAT score.

Any advice please.

Thanks in advance!!
It will make a difference but an awesome DAT score will be a bigger difference and is a game changer.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't rush to take the DAT if you don't feel prepared enough. A good DAT score would be worth the one month delay.

Members don't see this ad :)
If u have a competitive GPA, it shouldn't matter too much

The earlier you have your DAT score submitted the better. However, as others have stated above, a strong DAT score is certainly more valuable than a month's time.

The big difference is that all your dental friends will be flying to interviews when you just started getting offered interviews.. personal experience.

In a word...no. I took the DAT on August 8 last year. It was fine.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

It will make a difference but an awesome DAT score will be a bigger difference and is a game changer.

Don't rush to take the DAT if you don't feel prepared enough. A good DAT score would be worth the one month delay.

If u have a competitive GPA, it shouldn't matter too much

The earlier you have your DAT score submitted the better. However, as others have stated above, a strong DAT score is certainly more valuable than a month's time.

The big difference is that all your dental friends will be flying to interviews when you just started getting offered interviews.. personal experience.

In a word...no. I took the DAT on August 8 last year. It was fine.

It absolutely makes a difference. If you take it mid-august it means that the scores won't go through to schools until early September. Give yourself a fighting chance and take it early

I see you got into OSU. Mind sharing your GPA and DAT scores. I know for OSU stats are about average 3.6 and 20 AA. Thanks in advance.

I see you got into OSU. Mind sharing your GPA and DAT scores. I know for OSU stats are about average 3.6 and 20 AA. Thanks in advance.
My GPA is 3.3 both sGPA and oGPA.
AA 24, TS 24, PAT 22

Applying for dental school was a last minute decision for me in June. I worked my butt off all summer to make sure that the scores I did get in August would make up for being a bit late. It did pay off and I did get accepted. I wouldn't have had it any other way because back in June, I was still struggling with the basics.