Big Dilemma, What would you honestly do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently faced with a huge dilemma that is going to shape my academic/professional future.

I was very fortunate to have been accepted to a couple FNP programs (California State University System) and to the only PA program I applied, (Stanford University). After much thought, consideration and more thoughts, I asked if my spot at Stanford could be deferred for a year, which luckily it was so rather than starting July 2015, I can start July 2016 if I decide to. After much thought/consideration I decided to start an FNP program due to the following reasons:
Comparing/Contrast
FNP

-Can Continue to work at least PT ($ earned)
-20K Tuition
-Masters from actual University
-Keep my 60K savings
-Afford my first home
PA
-Inability to work due to schedule (Salary Loss)
- 70-75K Tuition
-Stanford A.S. Degree/St. Francis Masters
-Spend savings on living expenses
-Delay my first home

As mentioned: I decided to start the first semester of the FNP program and currently am working 24-36 hrs a week and doing school. This is where the dilemma occurs: Did I make the right choice? I can complete this first semester of the FNP program and then not continue with the second semester and start my Stanford PA program July 2016. What would you do?

Both of these programs focus on primary care, but of course, with the PA program you do an emergency medicine, surgery and inpatient medicine rotation; These rotations I can do in my FNP program during the winter and summer breaks I would have.

If I decide to attend Stanford PA, I would graduate summer 2018, as compared to summer 2017 with my FNP, that would be a year salary loss. Am I going to be losing on money by going FNP instead of PA? Will I be limiting myself in the future by going FNP rather than PA?

At the end of the day where I reside and work FNPs and PAs both work in the ER, in family practice, for the neurosurgery and cardio-thoracic groups in hospitals. I guess I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing and would honestly appreciate your honest input/advice.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong, but I believe the actual clinical roles of NPs and PAs are incredibly similar. At least at the hospital I work at, when there is a job opening they accept both PA and NP resumes indiscriminately.

If that is correct, then based on your post the FNP makes much more sense.

BTW the hospital I referenced above is a major academic cancer institute where NPs play a huge role, so I cannot imagine that the degree alone will be limiting for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
the "F" does make a difference. this isn't just NP vs PA.

the "F" could pigeonhole you into primary care, as "WHNP" pigeonholes you into obgyn or primary care. etc.

PAs can work in primary care or in specialties - onc, surg, cards etc. generally you have to get hired by an org looking to train a fresh grad in the specialty.

either way, PA or FNP, there should be retraining opportunities down the road.

look @ job listings @ a variety of medical practices, clinics, hospitals. generally you'll see only PAs or only NPs at smaller operations, not both.

from what i've seen, both generally get worked to death seeing a very high count of low acuity cases every day.

best of luck to you.

I agree with what Dr. midlife noted. In general the positions are interchangeable at my institution. However, my understanding is that with NP programs, you often tend to specialize more during schooling, like the FNP. For instance at my state school you choose to apply for the NP program in one of 13 specialties. Whereas PA often gives more exposure to everything and flexibility to shift gears more easily if you change your mind. So definitely look into that issue.

That said I am seeing midlevel "residency" programs to "specialize" people for specific areas like EM, Ortho, neorosurg after formal schooling is done.

*edit- it's also worth noting that the courses in the NP and PA programs can be very different from each other in content and focus. So it would be worth sitting down and comparing courses in the programs to see what makes the most sense for you.

Last edited: