Big names in oral surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kong57

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand this may not be the most important criteria when looking at residency programs, but who are some of the more prominent names when it comes to residency directors across the country? In other words, who would you like to learn from?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gateno
Turvey
Tucker
Miloro
Bell Jr.
Johnson

definitely a notable list.

Dr. David Precious at Dalhousie should be added to that list as well.

Some of these people being considered big names is questionable at best.

Some of these people being considered big names is questionable at best.

Here's the list so far:
Assael
Dodson
Dierks
Ellis
Ghali
Herford
Precious
Tucker
Turvey
Fonseca
Kaban
Ord
Posnick
Quinn
Roser
Schendel
Evans
Fernandes
Schmidt
Tiwana
Bryan Bell
Gateno
Miloro
Bailey

Just curious in who you think doesn't belong on the list above. Do tell.

I'd also add Marx and Brent Ward and pretty much any academic OMFS who is FACS - those guys aren't just taking out teeth and sinking implants.

Here's the list so far:
Assael
Dodson
Dierks
Ellis
Ghali
Herford
Precious
Tucker
Turvey
Fonseca
Kaban
Ord
Posnick
Quinn
Roser
Schendel
Evans
Fernandes
Schmidt
Tiwana
Bryan Bell
Gateno
Miloro
Bailey

Just curious in who you think doesn't belong on the list above. Do tell.

I'd also add Marx and Brent Ward and pretty much any OMFS who is FACS.

Add:
*redacted* :smuggrin: sorry man. You're too easy to google!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would simply say that there are many more names I would add IF all of those listed are "big names."

Last edited:
How about we add what universities these names are affiliated with...

I'm an orthodontic resident and we learn a lot of facial esthetics and soft tissue planning prior to orthognathic surgery from Arnett's book, Facial and Dental Planning for Orthodontists and Oral Surgeons. Just curious if any of the OS residents have heard of Arnett? If so any opinions?

I'm an orthodontic resident and we learn a lot of facial esthetics and soft tissue planning prior to orthognathic surgery from Arnett's book, Facial and Dental Planning for Orthodontists and Oral Surgeons. Just curious if any of the OS residents have heard of Arnett? If so any opinions?

Joseph Mulligan
Allen Fielding
Brian Smith
Gary Jones

These guys are world class

Clark Coons
Hibbs Dinamo
Flared Scwerril
Shaifed Inurs
Tom Rasmussen

Gary "A big name means you have a big GAME" Ruska here,

What criteria are you guys using to establish "a big name"? GR may be out of touch, but some of these names are certainly not big fish and some, frankly, GR has never even heard of (and a quick Google search confirmed that they are not household OMFS names)...

GR would submit the following criteria:

1. Has made significant contributions to the field - usually this is a combination of clinical achievement and actually reporting on such achievement. There are plenty of stellar surgeons in private practice whom no one knows about because they don't publish anything about what they do. Likewise, no reason to include somebody who just does research and doesn't actually treat patients.

2. Is not just someone whom you know because they took out your wisdom teeth or you shadowed them.

3. Multidisciplinary appeal - are these names well known to colleagues in overlapping fields (perio, PRS, ENT)? This is, to some extent, a measure of how big a name someone is...For example, Michael Block is well known in both the OMFS and perio worlds as an implant guy; Ed Ellis is known across ENT/PRS/OMFS as a trauma guy...

4. Perhaps the most important - the majority of OMFS residents/attendings should have, at least, heard of this person. See previous posters comment that these guys are "world class". Has anyone else heard of any of these people?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'd like to submit Gary "Got a Big Game" Ruska to the big names list.

Whether Gary Ruska is actually a person or just an idea of the ideal I don't know.

I can only hope I never meet Gary Ruska face to face, he could never possibly live up to what I've made him in my mind.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Gary "Got a Big Game" Ruska actually exists... But I also think GR is so cool and prominent that he has somebody that logs onto this site and posts GR's thoughts for him. How else could you explain the fact that GR always talks in the third person? From now on I will refer to GR as GR Lackey. GR Lackey, could you please inform GR that he has been added to the list of prominent names of oral surgeons around the country? I am sure he will be pleased!

PS. Marx (A University of Miami) definitely belongs on the list.