Big plastics labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManHands12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a plastics lab to do research in. What are some of the big name labs that produce a lot of research?

I know NYU, Stanford, and Southwestern produce a lot of research in a few labs.

Specifically, is there anyone at Penn people recommend working with?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The top funded programs for lab research in PRS are Stanford, Washington University in St. Louis and Pittsburgh. If you are looking to do serious bench or translational research in a lab, those are the most respected among surgical scientists. Longaker & Mackinnon (chair of Stanford & WashU, respectively) have had NIH funded labs for nearly 20 consecutive years and are among the most published plastic surgeons in the literature. Pitt has well respected labs in transplantation & regenerative medicine. UTSW is more clinically oriented for research, with a majority of their publications coming in aesthetic clinical series/retrospective reviews. Though i'm sure they have some labs, I don't know of any clinical faculty there with major NIH grant funding (same goes for NYU).

Hi everyone,

There has been almost a year without an answer in this thread.
So, has anything changed? I think we should put together a list for high throughput plastic surgery labs. Do any of them offer official research fellowship positions? Paid/Unpaid etc...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
After much looking into it, there aren't many official plastic research positions. But there are tons of opportunities. The best ones I found or heard of were Stanford, Pitt, WashU, Michigan, Vanderbilt, and Harvard. Almost no funding is guaranteed. You also would have to spend two years at these places. I did not look into southwestern or nyu. The best plan is to look a year or so in advance. Good luck to anyone else looking for a spot.