Biggest problem facing medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aingeal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those practicing/in med school:

What do you perceive to be the biggest problem facing medicine today, and how has that perception changed (if it has at all) since pre-med school/applying to med school?

This is a popular topic in interviews and in the pre-med forums, and I am interested to see how the opinion in this forum varies.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you do a search. There are dozens of other threads on this topic.

Looks like someone is fishing for ideas so they can write a secondary. Come up with your own conclusions because there are many problems facing medicine today! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
aingeal said:

What do you perceive to be the biggest problem facing medicine today, and how has that perception changed (if it has at all) since pre-med school/applying to med school?

This is a popular topic in interviews and in the pre-med forums, and I am interested to see how the opinion in this forum varies.

Thanks!

Lawyers.

its not straight from a secondary

cant anyone have good intentions on this site?
every thread always has someone questioning the intention of the OP, i hate that.

the truth is, i have my own ideas, and i have searched on the sight, but the matter of fact is posts get outdated, and if you dont want to answer, THEN DONT.

and its an original question, bc i am interested to see how ppl's opinions change once they are "in the system"

does it make you feel good to make others feel stupid for asking a question

i swear everyone on here is so paranoid about people stealing ideas for essays etc

isnt this a legitimate forum to ask ppl in the field?

aingeal said:

Thanks!

Yep, lawyers... not all, just the medical malpractice guys.

And, reimbursement for primary care docs.

the 40 million uninsured (that's 18-20% of the population) who have no access to basic preventative medical care, who, when faced with an escalating condition either (1) wait until it's an expensive condition to treat for wont of access to a primary care physician, or (2) wait until 3 o'clock in the morning to present to the ER for what would normally be a $75 visit to a PCP, but will now cost the rest of us who have medical insurance $900.

THAT'S the biggest problem in healtcare - using the most ineffecient and expensive providers of care (ER's and EM docs) to minister the 40 million uninsured for sniflly noses and ear aches.

judd

juddson said:
the 40 million uninsured (that's 18-20% of the population) who have no access to basic preventative medical care, who, when faced with an escalating condition either (1) wait until it's an expensive condition to treat for wont of access to a primary care physician, or (2) wait until 3 o'clock in the morning to present to the ER for what would normally be a $75 visit to a PCP, but will now cost the rest of us who have medical insurance $900.

THAT'S the biggest problem in healtcare - using the most ineffecient and expensive providers of care (ER's and EM docs) to minister the 40 million uninsured for sniflly noses and ear aches.

judd

I agree that is one of the biggest problem facing healthcare.

The raising cost of health care is a huge issue, not least of which is caused in part by the millions of uninsured that go to ERs for their medical care.

Lawyers is another issue, although it's the legal system that's the problem, lawyers are merely actors in a corrupt system that is long overdue for reform (the other is health care LOL).

The raising cost of a medical education means the best and brightest will gravitate toward more lucrative professions, and not the most difficult or challenging.

The decrease in reimbursement means people will not want to go into medicine. Of course, this could be resolved by providing for a cheaper medical education (i.e the less loans a student has to take out, the more amiable they will feel toward a career in lowering paying specialities).

Another issue that popped into my head is the allocation of resources in health care. We can spend a million dollars to separate conjoined twins (this was done back in teh mid-90's), yet someone shoudl have drawn the line and said that money would be better spent on more people---such as providing free prenatal exams, or medication for the uninsured etc.

Those are the issues that popped into my head. Everyone else, please join in!

Problematic Medical Students who will one day become big arses problematic doctors :thumbdown: :love:

NonTradMed said:
Another issue that popped into my head is the allocation of resources in health care. We can spend a million dollars to separate conjoined twins (this was done back in teh mid-90's), yet someone shoudl have drawn the line and said that money would be better spent on more people---such as providing free prenatal exams, or medication for the uninsured etc.

I've heard that 80% of healthcare dollars are spent in the 1st 6 mo and the last 6 mo of a person's life.
*sarcasm on*
As a cost cutting technique we could just cut treatment to any infants that need it, and when someone is within 6 mo or more of the life expectancy for their race/class/gender, we could just deny care! Think about it people.
*sarcasm off*

aingeal said:

Thanks!

There's something worse than malpractice lawyers: alturistic doctors who ruin the $$$ benefits of being a doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses, and interesting articles

Heh actually this is straight off a secondary.

I recall that Stonybrook used this question as did a dozen other schools I'm sure.

Maybe coincidence.....

What do you perceive to be the biggest problem facing medicine today

vice president edwards! :D

ericdamiansean said:
Problematic Medical Students who will one day become big arses problematic doctors :thumbdown: :love:

Yes! there are too many of them :)

PAPERWORK! I spend way more time filling out paperwork (and other equally annoying tasks) than w/patients. I heard once that if all health insurance companies (or their equivalent) utilized the same forms, enough money would be saved to provide care for the 40 million uninsured in the U.S. Not that it would happen, and who knows if it's even true, but something to think about.

In no particular order since all the problems are interconnected and reflect a system teetering on the brink of complete chaos:

1) Personal injury lawyers
2) Health insurance companies (will do anything to try to get out of their contractual responsibilities to pay for their clients' health care) and malpractice insurance companies
3) Hospital administrators and MBA's (cutting costs and corners no matter what effect it has on quality of products and care; taking kickbacks from manufacturers to supply hospitals with subpar equipment)
4) Allied healther's trying to take over positions throughout medicine (but especially in anesthesia, OB, primary care) - that should belong to better trained, more knowledgeable MD's across the board. If you want to write scripts independently, do anesthesia unsupervised, deliver babies on your own, etc., etc., go to medical school!

I would say the fact that John Edwards might be VP. Here's a man who's accepted over $9 million from the trial lawyers during his Presidential campaign, and made his cash (though he pretends to be for the "little guy") via junk science. He and Kerry will no doubt block any meaningful tort reform, thus continuing the stream of healthcare dollars towards the lawyers and away from patient care.

I third the motion that Edwards is the worst problem facing health care. But since his net worth is only $33 million I guess he can still claim to be a man of the people.

and what is Bush doing for the "little guy".

my thought:
closed-minded conservative republicans basing real decisions on a book written two thousand years ago
and...
conservative-money grubbing medical students becoming doctors who perpetuate a sick sense of entitlement to giant salaries...who vote republican.

I am getting really tired of doctors saying that Edwards is going to be in the pockets of trial lawyers, so you should vote for Bush. Yes, Edwards got 9.3 million from trial lawyers. Anyone wonder why Bush hasn't made a campaign issue out of it? Perhaps its because trial lawyers gave him 9.4 million dollars. So, I 'd suggest doing your homework before voting. And you're really done for either way.

Actually, if you do your homework, you'll see that one of the Democrats' primary donors are the trial lawyers. That's why they've opposed any sensible tort reform legislation. And Bush HAS made it an issue, passing caps in Texas as Gov and has said he would sign tort reform legislation.

So I guess maybe you should do your homework as well.

merlin said:
my thought:
closed-minded conservative republicans basing real decisions on a book written two thousand years ago
and...
conservative-money grubbing medical students becoming doctors who perpetuate a sick sense of entitlement to giant salaries...who vote republican.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I wish I had thought of it.

judd

Yes, Bush has said that he would sign tort reform legislation because he is for insurance companies. And lets all be shocked and amazed that not ONE state that has instituted insurance caps has seen a drop in malpractice premiums. So I stand by my original statement; doctors are done for either way. Neither party will help the doctors, so just deal with it and stop airing it as an issue to not to vote democratic. I have done my homework thank you very much.

The biggest problems facing health care today:

1. The litigious nature of society today.
2. The rising costs of health care that is driven by the decreases in reimbursments insurance companies give to physicians and hospitals.
3. Mass ignorance among society about what the real problems with health care are.

Sanman said:
Yes, Bush has said that he would sign tort reform legislation because he is for insurance companies. And lets all be shocked and amazed that not ONE state that has instituted insurance caps has seen a drop in malpractice premiums. So I stand by my original statement; doctors are done for either way. Neither party will help the doctors, so just deal with it and stop airing it as an issue to not to vote democratic. I have done my homework thank you very much.

Let's also ignore the fact that the states that have instituted tort reform legistlation has not seen the high percentage increases in malpractice rates that the states that haven't done so have seen.

merlin said:
my thought:

Who's to say that the book written 2000 years ago still isn't valid?

awdc said:
Who's to say that the book written 2000 years ago still isn't valid?

A book written by men for men, and re-written many times since then to suite various rulers. I go to church every Sunday, but still recognize the many contradiction and incoherencies in the new/old testaments.

If you follow the path and teachings of Jesus, you would see very little in common between him/his life and the bible-thumping rightwingers.

:laugh: this is straight off a secondary. :laugh:

Skoundrel said:
:laugh: this is straight off a secondary. :laugh:
Which one...... seems like an odd and inappropriate application topic.

<----
ericdamiansean said:

hehe, i'm waiting for my own "DW is the greatest threat to the stability of medicine" series in JAMA :laugh:

thackl said:
A book written by men for men, and re-written many times since then to suite various rulers. I go to church every Sunday, but still recognize the many contradiction and incoherencies in the new/old testaments.

If you follow the path and teachings of Jesus, you would see very little in common between him/his life and the bible-thumping rightwingers.
Thanks-
can't add more
F

fuegorama said:
Thanks-
can't add more
F

I don't think most republicans really care much about solveing issues related to religion, gay rights, abortion or any of the other rediculous things you always hear about. They want the issue and not a solution. That is why every 2-4yrs a series of bills related to these topics are put up for committee/vote that, even if passed, would be knocked out in the courts because they are intentionally unconsitutional. They want the issue and not a solution. Most of America is too dumb/uneducated to debate and understand REAL issues and just latch onto gay rights and abortion (which they also don't understand). These pathetic issues that affect relatively few get these people elected time and time again. Clinton was good at dumbing things down. Gore and Kerry are much to complicated for the average American. It's very frustrating....... maybe I'll go find the "free speech zone" off in BFE the next time GWB comes to town......or maybe one of these days a reporter will have the balls to ask a non-prepared question (that our dumb-ass prez can't answer coherently anyway). I know, I know.... the wrong forum ;)

thackl said:
I don't think most republicans really care much about solveing issues related to religion, gay rights, abortion or any of the other rediculous things you always hear about. They want the issue and not a solution. That is why every 2-4yrs a series of bills related to these topics are put up for committee/vote that, even if passed, would be knocked out in the courts because they are intentionally unconsitutional. They want the issue and not a solution. Most of America is too dumb/uneducated to debate and understand REAL issues and just latch onto gay rights and abortion (which they also don't understand). These pathetic issues that affect relatively few get these people elected time and time again. Clinton was good at dumbing things down. Gore and Kerry are much to complicated for the average American. It's very frustrating....... maybe I'll go find the "free speech zone" off in BFE the next time GWB comes to town......or maybe one of these days a reporter will have the balls to ask a non-prepared question (that our dumb-ass prez can't answer coherently anyway). I know, I know.... the wrong forum ;)

It is very sad for me to say that you are absolutely right. I'm still not losing hope, though--maybe the big electoral states like mine (PA) can pull Kerry through--he's currently ahead by 10 pts., but it's much too early...

thackl said:
Clinton was good at dumbing things down.

So you are implying that most democrats NEED dumbed down information? Haha, could you imagine running a platform on 'dumbing down America'? Then we'd truly see "Two Americas"

Now, pertinent to this thread, I believe that in the coming months and with the elections, the biggest problem facing medicine is the threat of socialized medicine and the healthcare reform movement.

Hilary tried to push it, certainly Kerry leans in that direction with comments like 'healthcare is a right'!

So along with civil liberties, freedom of press, and the right to bear arms... we all have the right to have equal healthcare? Emergency based and basic low-income protection aside (which both sides will argue IS critical), good healthcare IS NOT a right, but one that we must PAY for. I am a firm proponent of keeping healthcare private and not the letting government bureaucratic process dictate when I am getting a procedure done and who provides it. When I don't like my choices of doctors on my insurance plan, I pay for it myself in cash. Cheers for capitalism.

-Mike
BTW: Yes, I am 1 out of 537 in Broward County. :)

mike3kgt said:
So you are implying that most democrats NEED dumbed down information?
Nope, most Americans.

My problem with the democrats is that they are for redistribution of wealth (take money from the one who have it, and give it to the ones who don't). In my opinion that's theft; the only reason it's legal, it's because the government is doing it. I don't think that tax money should be used to ensure that lazy-ass "poor" people get a TV-set, a car, cell-phone, and so on. Nor should this money go towards making sure that everybody has access to decent helathcare. Last year I was working as an EMT 60 hrs/week, pulling in about $15,000/yr, and still had enough to pay for my insurance (which wasn't bad at all). So, to make it clear, many of those 40 million uninsured (not quite sure where this figure comes from) are uninsured not because they don't have the money, but because they don't make medical insurance a priority (and why should they, let the government pay for their bills). I think it is outrageous that as it is, when it comes to income, the first 10% of the americans, pay 90% of the taxes. And what I really fail to understand is why on this thread, which assumingly gathers people who want to become doctors, there are individuals who support Kerry and Edwards, specimens known for making money by suing doctors; do you hoenstly believe that once in office they wii go through a life-changing experience, and all of the sudden support doctors??? Or maybe you believe in what they say now, and ignore their past actions???

romed81 said:
My problem with the democrats is that they are for redistribution of wealth (take money from the one who have it, and give it to the ones who don't).
It's called a graduated tax system, look it up. I feel it is very fair.

I'm not for handouts and there will alway be examples of abuse in any system. Look at all the republican tax loop-holes for the rich. I was certainly disgusted at the Children's Hospital watching illegals show up in a $40k F350 4x4 and not have insurance. We should always strive for better use of taxpayer money. Regardless, I feel you can measure a society by how they treat thier poor and disabled. In general, being a fiscal conservative is a way to have what you have, not want to share it with anyone else, not feel guilty about it and feel no obligation to the stabilized society that keeps you safe and allows you to have what you have...... and then you have the religous right. I will take caring, good intentions over selfishness anyday.

727CAPT said:
Two good opinion articles on the amednews.com website written by Dr. William G Plested III, MD(Chair of the AMA Board of Trustees) on the long term challenges of reimbursement and how it will affect the medical profession. If interested click on http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2004/02/02/edca0202.htm for the first article and then http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2004/02/02/edca0202.htm for the second article.

I think those links are the same thing... can you link to part two?

Regarding states with caps...actually, malpractice premiums haven't risen as much as other states. Since the 70's, when CA adopted a cap, their premiums have risen 176%. Sounds awful, eh? Well, the rest of the country has seen a 505% increase!

Anyone who supports Kerry and Edwards has to know their supporting candidates that are property of the American Trial Lawyer Association. You might agree with them on some things, but know you're supporting the people that want to keep lawyers rich and the medical system in disrepair.

From OpenSecrets.org

JOHN EDWARDS (D-NC)
Top Industries

The top industries supporting John Edwards are:
1 Lawyers/Law Firms $10,688,404

JOHN KERRY (D-MA)
Top Industries

1 Lawyers/Law Firms $11,889,026

So know who they owe if they win in November!

romed81 said:
My problem with the democrats is that they are for redistribution of wealth (take money from the one who have it, and give it to the ones who don't). In my opinion that's theft; the only reason it's legal, it's because the government is doing it. I don't think that tax money should be used to ensure that lazy-ass "poor" people get a TV-set, a car, cell-phone, and so on. Nor should this money go towards making sure that everybody has access to decent helathcare. Last year I was working as an EMT 60 hrs/week, pulling in about $15,000/yr, and still had enough to pay for my insurance (which wasn't bad at all). So, to make it clear, many of those 40 million uninsured (not quite sure where this figure comes from) are uninsured not because they don't have the money, but because they don't make medical insurance a priority (and why should they, let the government pay for their bills). I think it is outrageous that as it is, when it comes to income, the first 10% of the americans, pay 90% of the taxes. And what I really fail to understand is why on this thread, which assumingly gathers people who want to become doctors, there are individuals who support Kerry and Edwards, specimens known for making money by suing doctors; do you hoenstly believe that once in office they wii go through a life-changing experience, and all of the sudden support doctors??? Or maybe you believe in what they say now, and ignore their past actions???

I think what you view as redistributing wealth or stealing from the wealthy is what democrats see as trying to give the lower and middle class a fair shot in life and improving the quality of life in America. By collecting a little more tax money now we might just be able to keep programs like social security, VA healthcare, afterschool programs for kids etc. in place rather that deficit spending while cutting/driving these programs into the ground. Not to mention the war in Iraq is the single biggest mistake made by any administration and is enourmously expensive, I say that anyone who is for the war in the Iraq should have to pay the taxes for it. That's what you republicans want for health care, right?

The uninsured, inadequate public health and preventive medicine, too many lawsuits, medical education too costly.