Bio degree (BS) where to next? Did i mess up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluecolors

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to have a bio degree next year. I was thinking about graduate school and the only really good option is becoming a doctor (MD or DO). The other job was pharmacy but, that is completely filled. Next, I was thinking about biomedical engineering or some engineering degree that can use my biology degree would that be a mistake?

If I waited another year and switch my major to biochem would that make a difference? If not, what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I really want a good job to pay the bills, I like the health field but, I want to make at least 85000+

Please do anything other than medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can get an engineering graduate degree with Biology BS. Something like BU's LEAP program http://www.bu.edu/eng/academics/special-programs/leap/overview/

If you have a BS, that means you took maths like Linear Algebra and Differential Eqs right? That will make it easier, but you'll probably need to take classes like Statics, Thermodynamics, etc.

I am starting PT school in a few weeks and my entire background is in biology - bio degree and years of research in cancer cell biology. I feel I have a great knowledge base for learning more about the body in PT school. Just like you don't have to have a kinesiology degree to go for PT, you don't have to have a bio degree to go for MD. Biology degrees are good prep for any form of professional education, not just med school or pharm.

If you're in it for the money though, the debt:income ratio for PT is pretty damn poor. You can make $85k in the right areas with enough experience or by picking up a side job in an SNF/home health/acute care, etc. But don't expect to top 6 figures anytime too soon after graduation.

There's also the PhD route, but again you have to be in it for the love of science, not for the money. And you have to be in it for the looooong haul...PhD plus a post-doc (or two...or maybe three these days if your PhD pubs aren't great) in molecular/cellular biology is at least as long as medical school plus residency, if not longer. The upside is PhD's don't put you in debt...but you're at least 7 or 8 years out of undergrad (if not 10 or 12 these days) before you're earning potential is more than about $40-50k at best.

Mentioning desire for money is pretty taboo on SDN and in healthcare in general, just FYI. Also, how are you a nontraditional student?

Last edited:
If you have a BS, that means you took maths like Linear Algebra and Differential Eqs right?

Not really. I would say very few bio majors took these. You take a stats class and a basic calculus class, but not very many bio BS programs require much more math than that.

If you have a BS, that means you took maths like Linear Algebra and Differential Eqs right? That will make it easier, but you'll probably need to take classes like Statics, Thermodynamics, etc.

Ha! At least for me, my adviser literally asked me whether I wanted to graduate with a B.S. or a B.A. a few weeks before graduation. There was pretty much no difference between these two designations.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^based on that posters use of the word "maths" perhaps they are from another country where the system is a little different in biology??

^^^based on that posters use of the word "maths" perhaps they are from another country where the system is a little different in biology??

haha good catch that I am a foreigner, but I went to uni here in the states. BS in Biology at my school required mathematics courses like DiffE, Linear, Applied Numerical Methods. It's pretty brutal for the non-mathematically inclined. This is definitely not the case at your school though.

@ERK123 if you do engineering, you'll have to take these math courses.

edit, I went to an engineering school initially for ChemE. You can definitely do graduate-level engineering work with a science degree (especially if you do an engineering internship beforehand), you just need some foundation courses.

Last edited:
haha good catch that I am a foreigner, but I went to uni here in the states. BS in Biology at my school required mathematics courses like DiffE, Linear, Applied Numerical Methods. It's pretty brutal for the non-mathematically inclined. This is definitely not the case at your school though.

@ERK123 if you do engineering, you'll have to take these math courses.

edit, I went to an engineering school initially for ChemE. You can definitely do graduate-level engineering work with a science degree (especially if you do an engineering internship beforehand), you just need some foundation courses.

This is not my post. It is interesting that some school have a stark difference between B.A. and B.S. while other schools do not.

This is not my post. It is interesting that some school have a stark difference between B.A. and B.S. while other schools do not.

yea sorry I meant to @ the OP there.

I really regretted not majoring in biology but hey I guess accounting was the right choice after all..... I really want you to find a good job and will be checking back on this to see what other bio majors landed....Hey at least you spent 4 years on something VERY interesting......

ALSO PLEASE do not consider medicine JUST because your degree cant land you a job.....

Well, I am not entirely interested in the money but, I am being cautious and seeing all my options. I want to choice a job that can pay the bills and help save for retirement right? I am just interested on where else I can take my BS degree I like the leap program which is pretty cool. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

If you wanted to start at 85k, ya probably should have gone into either engr or majored in finance at an ivy league and then get a job offer at a major bank in the NYC market where some 25-40% of that is going into your rent :p

85k/yr is very different depending on where, when, and how you're earning it.