Bio electives for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babakthepersian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm going to list a couple of courses, which of these courses do you think would be most helpful and least helpful in the new MCAT? Obviously a BioChem I and II would be greatly beneficitial, but besides that, I'll list some others. If theres a class which you think is helpful for the MCAT, but not on this list, feel free to mention it.

Histology
Microbiology
Human Anatomy
Molecular Bio
Cellular Bio
Immunology
Cardiac Physiology
Skeletal biology
Endocrine
Pathology
Physiology
Hematology
Neuro Anatomy

If you think theres a class on here, that wouldn't help whatsoever on the MCAT, then feel free to say so. I know taking some of these classes may only add a point or two to your overall score, but getting familar with the topics through a class is a lot better than through reviewing I think. Could P-Chem or another sort of chemistry help somewhat as well? Any bio classes I didn't list, write a comment! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So in my Bio class we learned about plants and how to classify organisms instead of human anatomy/physiology. So depending on what your Gen Bio class was all about, a Physiology class might prove very useful. I had to learn it on a very basic level by myself in the matter of one week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, so I'm going to list a couple of courses, which of these courses do you think would be most helpful and least helpful in the new MCAT? Obviously a BioChem I and II would be greatly beneficitial, but besides that, I'll list some others. If theres a class which you think is helpful for the MCAT, but not on this list, feel free to mention it.

Histology
Microbiology
Human Anatomy
Molecular Bio
Cellular Bio
Immunology
Cardiac Physiology
Skeletal biology
Endocrine
Pathology
Physiology
Hematology
Neuro Anatomy

If you think theres a class on here, that wouldn't help whatsoever on the MCAT, then feel free to say so. I know taking some of these classes may only add a point or two to your overall score, but getting familar with the topics through a class is a lot better than through reviewing I think. Could P-Chem or another sort of chemistry help somewhat as well? Any bio classes I didn't list, write a comment! Thanks!

Are you in med school or something lol? Half of these are things we'd be taking in first couple years of med school
I'd say definitely Biochem I and II, Physio (both intro and higher levels offered at your school), and genetics; to a smaller extent, also intro neuroscience
On a side note, I was a chem major, so analytical chem, p chem thermodynamics, and instruments also help a bit

Would you guys say that OChem II is essential before the current MCAT?? I'm trying to decide whether to take it since a lot of schools don't require it anymore. @basophilic @jd989898

Depends on what's covered in the O Chem II class at your school. If it's primarily about carbonyl and nitrogen chemistry, then it'd be useful, especially for strengthening your metabolism knowledge. If it's primarily hydrocarbons, aromatic reactions, organometallics, pericyclics, etc., then you're probably fine without it.

Depends on what's covered in the O Chem II class at your school. If it's primarily about carbonyl and nitrogen chemistry, then it'd be useful, especially for strengthening your metabolism knowledge. If it's primarily hydrocarbons, aromatic reactions, organometallics, pericyclics, etc., then you're probably fine without it.

It's mostly the latter, though alcohols, ethers, epoxides, sulfides, aldehydes/ketones (carbonyls), and carboxylic acids are also likely covered. See my response to jd, since that may affect your response to some degree.

It's mostly the latter, though alcohols, ethers, epoxides, sulfides, aldehydes/ketones (carbonyls), and carboxylic acids are also likely covered. See my response to jd, since that may affect your response to some degree.

Isn't Ochem 2 a prereq anyway? also mirin zyzz avatar

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have the wrong approach to the MCAT. Learning graduate level material will be an extremely inefficient strategy. Just study MCAT material directly and do practice tests and pray that your innate reasoning skills complement your studying. That's the best way to get a good score.