Bio I and Gen Chem after 9 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VM3125

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen - I feel like this is a dumb question, but have to ask...

I am a non-trad going back into school as a pre-med student. I've taken Bio I, Gen I/II, and Physics I and II about 9 years ago. Professors at my school seem to think I can straight away take Bio II and the Organic series by just studying certain concepts (I have a list from them). My concern is the MCAT... if I take Bio II, Organic Chem I and II, and perhaps Genetics and Physiology during the summer of next year, will I be prepared to take the MCAT in July of next year?? Is this even remotely feasible? I'd like to apply to med school next year but not sure if I can swing the MCAT given I've taken a bunch of pre-reqs so long ago. Would it be sufficient to take a Kaplan or Princeton Review course in order to study concepts from all these courses I've taken so long ago??

Members don't see this ad.

Ladies and Gentlemen - I feel like this is a dumb question, but have to ask...

I am a non-trad going back into school as a pre-med student. I've taken Bio I, Gen I/II, and Physics I and II about 9 years ago. Professors at my school seem to think I can straight away take Bio II and the Organic series by just studying certain concepts (I have a list from them). My concern is the MCAT... if I take Bio II, Organic Chem I and II, and perhaps Genetics and Physiology during the summer of next year, will I be prepared to take the MCAT in July of next year?? Is this even remotely feasible? I'd like to apply to med school next year but not sure if I can swing the MCAT given I've taken a bunch of pre-reqs so long ago. Would it be sufficient to take a Kaplan or Princeton Review course in order to study concepts from all these courses I've taken so long ago??

Bump... any ideas everyone?

Well I know some schools require the prerequisites to be within the past so many years so you might want to check into that. I would suggest getting a set of mcat review books and self studying to see what you need to work on. If you retake those classes it would be a good idea to have an mcat prep book/s that pertains to the class and bring it to class to maybe add some notes about something that was helpful that the teacher brought up for that section. It also keeps you continuously learning what you need to know for the mcat so that way you won't feel like you have to cram or have to relearn things, allowing you more time to practice passages rather than spend the time for content review at the end of you classes. It would also help keep you focused on why you are there

Well I know some schools require the prerequisites to be within the past so many years so you might want to check into that. I would suggest getting a set of mcat review books and self studying to see what you need to work on. If you retake those classes it would be a good idea to have an mcat prep book/s that pertains to the class and bring it to class to maybe add some notes about something that was helpful that the teacher brought up for that section. It also keeps you continuously learning what you need to know for the mcat so that way you won't feel like you have to cram or have to relearn things, allowing you more time to practice passages rather than spend the time for content review at the end of you classes. It would also help keep you focused on why you are there

Thanks. I checked into a bunch of schools and while they say they don't require me to re-take the pre-reqs, they did recommend I take a few upper level courses to show that I can handle the material. Just really not sure how this will affect my performance on the MCAT. Really trying to avoid spending all the time on re-taking all these pre-reqs, which will easily take an extra year!

I'm a post bacc as well. My best suggestion is to audit classes unofficially. If you have a large university around you, find the classes you might need and just sit in. You can also try and find online lectures through uc berkeley online, they have a wide selection of online classes available for free. You can also get good textbooks for each section and do a refresher.