Bio I, Chem I, and Physics I at once?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were to only take these classes for fall semester, and no other classes, would I be able to survive... And do well?

Or is this a terrible idea?

Members don't see this ad.

You can do it. But from what I hear, adcoms don't enjoy seeing semesters with low credit hour/work loads, so it may be advantageous to add another class, or take physics the next year.

Depends on how much free time you have, work schedule and such. I think you can do it with good time management, even with labs for all three.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very doable. Even with labs, as the person above me stated. Know your strengths, attack your weaknesses early, and stay organized.

Depends on how much free time you have, work schedule and such. I think you can do it with good time management, even with labs for all three.
If I'm a full time student... I would work minimal hours a week.. Just enough to save up money to pay for the next year of school (super cheap in state tuition). I would be helping in my professors lab too. But that's it

If this is your first time taking classes of these sorts I would spread them out. I have taken semesters with harder course loads and did well, but I already knew that I could handle science courses at that time. If you're a first semester freshman, it might not be a bad idea to take one out and replace it with sociology or psych.

Reactions: 1 users
If this is your first time taking classes of these sorts I would spread them out. I have taken semesters with harder course loads and did well, but I already knew that I could handle science courses at that time. If you're a first semester freshman, it might not be a bad idea to take one out and replace it with sociology or psych.
Thanks for the response. I'm actually a nontrad with a degree already. My B.A. is in English though, so I do not have a lot of science experience... Aside from AP classes years and years ago....

Thanks for the response. I'm actually a nontrad with a degree already. My B.A. is in English though, so I do not have a lot of science experience... Aside from AP classes years and years ago....

Might be beneficial to dip your toes and start by taking Bio I w/lab and Chem I w/ lab ( and maybe a nonscience prereqs you may need) and then see if you feel comfortable increasing it the next semester with Bio II w/lab, Chem II w/ lab, Phys I w/ lab, and possibly Calc I (or whatever math class you may need). I don't think this will set you back time-wise as you can still finish prereqs within 2 years either way. It is better to do well in your prereq courses than to over load yourself.

I did this this fall while also working as an intern. You can do it but expect a smaller social life.

If I were to only take these classes for fall semester, and no other classes, would I be able to survive... And do well?

Or is this a terrible idea?
Left swipe.

Reactions: 1 user
I almost did this, but decided against. I ended up doing only chem and physics this year (with non-science courses), both with labs. I've had some difficulty, but I am very weak in math. YMMV

All those lab reports though...

I'm glad this came up, these three courses were recommended for my first semester by the admissions counselor at the school I'm transferring to in the Fall. I didn't think it'd be so bad, but now I'm considering adding Spanish and I'm concerned that if I mess with it I won't be able to graduate when I've planned.

It depend on how you manage your time, but definitely not too much.