Bio major -jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ohopenyoureyes

Hi, so I'm currently a rising junior. I'm not sure if I want to either major in Biology or specialize such as Molecular Biology and Biochemistry or Genetics. While I'm really into medicine and hope to enter the healthcare field, in case that does not work out, I wanted to have a good backup and have more job options.

What do you guys suggest might be more profitable to do? Specialize or stick with General Biology?
I need to decide really quickly because I need specific classes.
Any and all input is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

A bachelor's degree in either one won't be extraordinarily more helpful than the other, the job market for bachelor's level science degrees doesn't have nearly as much specialization/preference as graduate level degrees(a Ph.D in molecular bio is a pretty solid job market. All the postdocs in my molecular bio lab have graduated with job offers averaging ~65k starting. Granted I do go to a massive university with a lot of job connections in the sciences). The only reason I would suggest molecular bio over general bio is to diversify yourself a little bit. But if general bio is substantially easier at your school than molecular bio, then stick with gen bio to keep your GPA up.

Reactions: 1 user
I would argue undergrad major is not thaaatt important for landing a job out of college. I'd argue that experience and connections will get your further. If you want the highest paying jobs out of college I'd major in finance or econ

Members don't see this ad :)
Your major won't matter, it's what you pick up along the way. You might need a MS to be more marketable, but a Bio degree should pave the way, especially if you have lab hands, to:

Lab/research assistant or tech
Clinical lab tech
Vet tech
Sales
Lab mgr
Teaching

Hi, so I'm currently a rising junior. I'm not sure if I want to either major in Biology or specialize such as Molecular Biology and Biochemistry or Genetics. While I'm really into medicine and hope to enter the healthcare field, in case that does not work out, I wanted to have a good backup and have more job options.

What do you guys suggest might be more profitable to do? Specialize or stick with General Biology?

I would teach in a high school and tutor standardized tests on the side.

Probably would make more than the average PhD.

You know, just in case the PhD doesn't pan out.

And when you save up enough cash, just rent out some apartments/homes to college students instead of tutoring and live a pretty cushy life.

You sound like you should be a non-science major hahaha.

I would also talk to the career services people at your school and your advisor. They may be able to give you some advice.

I would go for biochemistry, but mostly because it seems less boring than the others. Not necessarily because it's better in terms of job opportunities than the others. However, I would imagine that something more specialized than biology will afford you more lab experience.

the "sciencey" jobs you can get with a bachelor's degree are limited, and the specific major doesn't make a difference.

If you have good grades, come from a well-recognized school, and interview well, then:

Healthcare consulting
Pharmaceutical consulting
Biotech consulting

All pay very well. I know many biology majors who chose these options right out of college. Competition is intense though.

Consulting is definitely where the money's at.

Take some business courses if you can. Most of my pre-med friends don't even know what a balance sheet is.

Reactions: 1 user
If you find you can't hack it at the level need for medical school or other specialties like PA school, pharmacy school etc( and there alot of other options) there 2 real options to focus on imo 1) consulting like others have said in health care, biotech and pharmaceutical industries 2) Other types of internships at these companies.

Your looking at teaching, tech positions and lag manager type jobs with just a BS. Even obtaining a masters there will still be a limit on what positions are possible for you. If you find you aren't going to be able to hack it at level needed to get into the health care profession(and we're not just talking doctor here-----pharm school, PA school, etc) obtain some kind of degree in economics/finance/business as soon as possible on the side as well. You're options are just too limited otherwise unless you really have a strong interest in teaching a high school(and you'll need more training than just a BS for this) or working as a vet tech or being a lab manager for a long period of time.

Thanks guys! I'm just worried and was looking at backup plans in case I just can't get in. I do have a good GPA but I haven't taken the MCAT yet.
I do want to stay in the sciences if not healthcare and I will keep this advice in mind! Thank you for your help!