Bio Passages Advice/Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've taken another FL today (AAMC5) and it's becoming pretty clear that the biology passages are what's really pulling my MCAT score down and keeping me from my goal score. (Averaging about a 10-11, aiming for a 12). Upon analyzing my mistakes, I realize that my mistakes oftentimes don't come from a lack of knowledge/content from the question, but rather I have trouble " connecting the dots" to what is being asked of me. For example, one question on the AAMC asks about what abnormality would most likely be present in a cell that doesn't respond to a drug that acts on receptors. I didn't see that they were essentially asking a very simple question...and completely misinterpreted the question.

What does SDN suggest? It's becoming discouraging and worrying, especially as I only have 3 weeks left!

Members don't see this ad.

Relax, you are in a great position! (as long as your verbal is good) For BS (as well as PS ) passages, I try to read them like I would a verbal passage - main idea, what's located where, purpose of experiment, anticipating certain questions, etc; this helps you get the max out of what the passage is trying to help you out with. The verbal strategy of rephrasing convoluted questions in your own words also applies here.

So I've taken another FL today (AAMC5) and it's becoming pretty clear that the biology passages are what's really pulling my MCAT score down and keeping me from my goal score. (Averaging about a 10-11, aiming for a 12). Upon analyzing my mistakes, I realize that my mistakes oftentimes don't come from a lack of knowledge/content from the question, but rather I have trouble " connecting the dots" to what is being asked of me. For example, one question on the AAMC asks about what abnormality would most likely be present in a cell that doesn't respond to a drug that acts on receptors. I didn't see that they were essentially asking a very simple question...and completely misinterpreted the question.

What does SDN suggest? It's becoming discouraging and worrying, especially as I only have 3 weeks left!

If you are averaging 10-11 on the BS section and you goal is a 12, your cumulative score is only being pulled down by 1 point, so if the rest of your sections are good (balance is key), I wouldn't let your nerves hurt your score.

[musicalfeet] I realize that my mistakes oftentimes don't come from a lack of knowledge/content from the question, but rather I have trouble " connecting the dots" to what is being asked of me.

Really knowing the content helps connect the dots in the passage. A 12 in BS takes that extra step. I'm not saying you can't achieve the 12. I'm saying that you have to be honest with yourself if you want to attain it.