Bio trivia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've came across a question ask which of the listed mechanisms is the most important in raising plasma free fatty acid concentration?
A. lipolysis
B. Lipogenesis
C. Increased fat oxidation
D. Increased dietary fat

I know that both A and D can increase free fatty acid but are we suppose to know which one is most important? What do they mean by important?

Another question, does chylomicron count as source of free fatty acid in the blood?

Members don't see this ad.

I've came across a question ask which of the listed mechanisms is the most important in raising plasma free fatty acid concentration?
A. lipolysis
B. Lipogenesis
C. Increased fat oxidation
D. Increased dietary fat

I know that both A and D can increase free fatty acid but are we suppose to know which one is most important? What do they mean by important?

Another question, does chylomicron count as source of free fatty acid in the blood?

D is false because it can all be stored after consumption. C is false because lol. B is possible, A is possible.

I'd lean towards A because it's faster and more easily completed than synthesizing high energy fatty acids anabolically.

Bonus question: Probably not because chylomicron mainly functions in transporting lipids through the blood. For fatty acid release, they must be hydrolyzed by some enzyme probably intracellularly rather than releasing that enzyme in blood.

A. Isn't lipogenesis the formation of fats from free fatty acids and acetylCoA?

Members don't see this ad :)
A. Isn't lipogenesis the formation of fats from free fatty acids and acetylCoA?

i dont think so. i vaguely remember some bio passage with the synthesis pathway and iirc, the fatty acid starts with acetyl CoA and is elongated 2 carbons at a time. Lipogenesis is synthesis of lipids; extending it to triglycerides is too specific, isn't it?

wikipedia seems to agree if i'm not mistaken.

"Fatty acids synthesis starts with acetyl-CoA and builds up by the addition of two carbon units."

D is false because it can all be stored after consumption. C is false because lol. B is possible, A is possible.

I'd lean towards A because it's faster and more easily completed than synthesizing high energy fatty acids anabolically.

Bonus question: Probably not because chylomicron mainly functions in transporting lipids through the blood. For fatty acid release, they must be hydrolyzed by some enzyme probably intracellularly rather than releasing that enzyme in blood.

You scored!

Yeah, seriously why is C false? Beta oxidation of fats leads to fatty acids. Does anyone think this type of minutia on the exam? I wonder...

I think this question is testing to see if you know the difference between a FAT (also known as a tri-acyl glyceride, TAG, or a polymer built from one glyceride & three fatty acids) and a FATTY ACID (a monomer with a carboxylic acid on one end and a hydrophobic chain of carbons on the other end).

Notice how they ask what method produces free fatty acids in the bloodstream. Answer D will produce fats in the bloodstream, but not free fatty acids.

Answer C destroys fatty acids.

Answer B does make fatty acids, but it is kinda slow compared to ripping apart a fat to instantly make three fatty acids (and a glycerol).