Biochem dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJArms22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been contemplating dropping my biochemistry course this spring in order to have more time to prep for my april mcat. I think the majority of people on SDN would say biochem is "not required" but would "definitely help." The professor teaching this spring is absolutely horrible. He doesn't care about his students at all. I realize this is college but c'mon...the dude's syllabus said "don't even say 'bless you' during an exam or you will receive an automatic 0." WTF is that about? I would be ecstatic if I received a B in his class. I'm enrolled in a Kaplan course and I'm being pressured by my two close friends (also writing their MCAT in April + Kaplan course) to drop biochem so that we can solely focus on the MCAT. It's very tempting, considering what an a-hole my professor is, but at the same time, I would regret not taking it, knowing that many people have said it's highly beneficial. I'm pretty weak in gen chem because it's been years. O-chem I did well in, except I don't remember much from it as well. Bottom line, biochem with psycho professor and insane exams, or more mcat prep? I'm also still looking for a possibly simple class to take instead if I do decide to drop because I'm only taking 12 hours. Oh and I'm taking physiology...I know that's highly recommended as well. Sorry if I sound like a little B****.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been contemplating dropping my biochemistry course this spring in order to have more time to prep for my april mcat. I think the majority of people on SDN would say biochem is "not required" but would "definitely help." The professor teaching this spring is absolutely horrible. He doesn't care about his students at all. I realize this is college but c'mon...the dude's syllabus said "don't even say 'bless you' during an exam or you will receive an automatic 0." WTF is that about? I would be ecstatic if I received a B in his class. I'm enrolled in a Kaplan course and I'm being pressured by my two close friends (also writing their MCAT in April + Kaplan course) to drop biochem so that we can solely focus on the MCAT. It's very tempting, considering what an a-hole my professor is, but at the same time, I would regret not taking it, knowing that many people have said it's highly beneficial. I'm pretty weak in gen chem because it's been years. O-chem I did well in, except I don't remember much from it as well. Bottom line, biochem with psycho professor and insane exams, or more mcat prep? I'm also still looking for a possibly simple class to take instead if I do decide to drop because I'm only taking 12 hours. Oh and I'm taking physiology...I know that's highly recommended as well. Sorry if I sound like a little B****.

Don't take biochem and don't apply to schools that have biochem as a requirement.

Don't take biochem and don't apply to schools that have biochem as a requirement.

Why would you advise anyone to not take biochem? It's an extremely useful and relevant course. If I were the OP, I would take biochem after taking the MCAT (you should be able to pick up what little biochem you actually need for the MCAT by doing sufficient content review).

Members don't see this ad :)

This is pretty asinine advice. Don't take biochem? Kiss top medical schools goodbye. As time goes on, more and more medical schools are requiring biochemistry for applicants. Why? Because it comes up in medical school a lot, especially in your first year, and it happens to be quite challenging to learn it all the first time while you're here.

Your professor sounds like a douche (all of my biochem professors were as well), but the comment about 'bless you' makes sense: no one has any business speaking while an exam is going on. Grind it out, you'll be happier in the long run that you did.

This is pretty asinine advice. Don't take biochem? Kiss top medical schools goodbye. As time goes on, more and more medical schools are requiring biochemistry for applicants. Why? Because it comes up in medical school a lot, especially in your first year, and it happens to be quite challenging to learn it all the first time while you're here.

Your professor sounds like a douche (all of my biochem professors were as well), but the comment about 'bless you' makes sense: no one has any business speaking while an exam is going on. Grind it out, you'll be happier in the long run that you did.

Take it next year.

I am taking biochem just because I know some schools require it.

Can you take it over the summer or something? Avoid douchey professors at all costs in my book, especially if they are going to put untold misery on you while prepping for the MCAT. I agree that having a background in biochem is beneficial for both med school acceptance and success so you should probably try to sneak it in somewhere.

Survivor D.O.

Why would you advise anyone to not take biochem? It's an extremely useful and relevant course. If I were the OP, I would take biochem after taking the MCAT (you should be able to pick up what little biochem you actually need for the MCAT by doing sufficient content review).

You guys missed the context of my post. I didn't say biochem is useless. There's a reason why I said as is. It's because the professor is willing to destroy OP and his classmates' grades. I'm not sure when OP will apply. Biochem is useful no doubt and many schools do require. In the general case (not top schools), OP should be fine. It's better to wait to have a better teacher or avoid it, since the professsor seems to be unnecessarily challenging. :shrug: OP can take biochem, if he wanted to. Hopefully, he can avoid those types of professors.

I would stick with it. I think just about everybody that's gone through undergrad has dealt with some insane professors in some fashion or another. Sometimes you just gotta figure out how to work around it, and ultimately, the tests ARE based on content-it's your job to know it regardless of who's feeding it to you. I took Biochem and Physio just before my MCAT and found that it was enormously helpful.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm still trying to decide. The one thing I'd hate to do is do poorly on the mcat while at the same time possibly receiving a C in his class. I feel like it's going to take a great deal of work just to crack that B. I'm leaning towards dropping it and taking it in Fall. Now I'm stuck with the problem of finding a suitable replacement course. Dropping it takes me to 9 hrs :scared:

You guys missed the context of my post. I didn't say biochem is useless. There's a reason why I said as is. It's because the professor is willing to destroy OP and his classmates' grades. I'm not sure when OP will apply. Biochem is useful no doubt and many schools do require. In the general case (not top schools), OP should be fine. It's better to wait to have a better teacher or avoid it, since the professsor seems to be unnecessarily challenging. :shrug: OP can take biochem, if he wanted to. Hopefully, he can avoid those types of professors.

Gotcha. Yeah, I would avoid this professor if possible.

I agree that you should not only take BioChem with another professor, but also take the class after the MCAT. BioChem is not directly needed for the MCAT, but as others have said in this thread, that class has become increasingly desired by many medical schools, so if you have the time, I greatly advise taking it.

This is exactly what I will be doing.