Biochem, Physics II, and Orgo II in one semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aurangzeb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on SDN, so here's a little back ground on myself.
  • I graduated in May 2014 with a B.A. in Political Science with a cumGPA of 3.87 (my science GPA is somewhere between 3.7 and 3.75).
  • Recently decided to go into medicine and I will be taking prereqs this year. Just finished my inorganic chem requirement, so I will be moving on to orgo I and physics I this Fall. I have already completed my bio requirements.
  • I want to take the MCAT next Summer and apply to med schools ASAP.
Unfortunately for me, I was a year late and the new MCAT requires knowledge of biochem. If I want to take the MCAT next summer, I will need to take a biochem course during the Spring semester. This means I would have to take Biochem, Orgo II, and Physics II all in one semester AND prepare for the MCAT.

My question is whether it is even possible to perform well with this course load. I know many people will say it comes down to hard work- I am prepared to stick my nose in the books and spend hours a day studying; however, even with a strong work ethic, would it be possible to do well in my Spring semester?

I really want to take the MCAT in Summer 2016 just so I can be part of next year's application cycle. If I delay biochem, then it would set me back another year and I would have to apply in 2017.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered UNE biochem online? I'm currently taking the class and I really like it. It's self paced. You can take it during the winter break after orgo 1 and finish it before spring semester. Just make sure the schools you're planning to apply to accept online classes.

If you're truly having second doubts about doing everything in one semester and studying for the MCAT, consider waiting until the 2017 cycle. You don't want to wind up with a mediocre MCAT score and a less-than-stellar grade in these classes (which will pull down that beautiful sGPA), all because you want to get everything done in 2016. Plus it's better to take the exam in the spring so you score and app can be sent early in the cycle.

Never heard of UNE online. I'll look into it and ask my adviser about it.

If I do wait another year and apply in 2017, I want to occupy my time with activities that are relevant to medicine in my gap years. What would you suggest, considering that I am a non-science major?