Biochem & Physiology, cool MS1 classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoorMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The material they are lecturing/PBL'ing is really interesting (amino acids, pKa's, pH and membrane transfer, etc). I have never had these courses before (background in engineering), and it is already a lot of material. But I like biochemistry and phys.

Anyone else find it interesting to study this stuff? The lectures themselves kind of drag along, but the silent time in the library, or the after hours chalkboard, is all real classic. I think these are times we look back on as professionals and it was the begining.

PoorMD

Members don't see this ad.

PoorMD said:
The material they are lecturing/PBL'ing is really interesting (amino acids, pKa's, pH and membrane transfer, etc). I have never had these courses before (background in engineering), and it is already a lot of material. But I like biochemistry and phys.

Anyone else find it interesting to study this stuff? The lectures themselves kind of drag along, but the silent time in the library, or the after hours chalkboard, is all real classic. I think these are times we look back on as professionals and it was the begining.

PoorMD

I'm not really enjoying the cell and tissue biology, but I am enjoying the biochem and physiology. Like you, I think that it is alot of work but when the light bulb above my head pops on and suddenly I understand the subject and how it relates to the real world, I think that is fun. With a background in history, I am also learning this in a real detail for the the first time. I agree it can be rather interesting.

PoorMD said:

PoorMD

Oh my god, the Biochem stuff we do at first (pKa's, pH, buffers) is the absolute WORST and most BORING material I anticipate learning in medschool. Last time I had it was I think freshman year, and it sucked just as bad then. Honestly, when in the hell would I want to write down and work out a frickin equation about the pH of a patient's urine when I can just stick a probe in them and a machine tells me what it is in a matter of seconds??? Stupid and pointless work -- I thought I was finished with this after undergrad... At least anatomy is cool.

PoorMD said:

PoorMD

That's beautiful. You make studying seem romantic, like it should be a scene in a movie. ("My Dinner with Andre" type movie) What I marvel at is that things I thought were difficult like enzyme kinetics will seem trivial when I eventually set food on the wards.

Thanks for softening my cynicism... even just for a minute.

:)