Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which med schools require biochem as a pre req?
I have to choose between a mo bio/biochem combined course and a biochem lec with Lab course
I'm leaning toward the combined course however it doesn't have a lab
Would it still fulfill biochem requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey OP, for questions regarding specific requirements you should reference medical schools' websites or a current version of the MSAR. Your pre-med advisor probably has a copy of the MSAR, or alternatively you can purchase one here.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey OP, for questions regarding specific requirements you should reference medical schools' websites or a current version of the MSAR. Your pre-med advisor probably has a copy of the MSAR, or alternatively you can purchase one here.
I am going to apply for 2016 and I believe they are changing the requirements that's why I didn't look at msar

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to apply for 2016 and I believe they are changing the requirements that's why I didn't look at msar

Don't hold me to this, but I never took any Biochem lab, applied widely (to ~30 schools) during the 2013-2014 cycle, and have not encountered a single school in which Biochem Lab was required. I had all the other labs however. I'd suggest looking on the respective medical school websites though just to be safe.

However, it may be useful to do the Biochem lab, especially since many of the concepts may be tested in the 2015 onwards version of the MCAT. Always better to get more practice.

Reactions: 1 user
My school has 4 primary Biology courses that includes Biochem, but 3 labs to go with it (without Biochem) and no one has run into a problem with it yet.

Almost none of the schools have a BCM lab requirement.

but coming up very soon, pretty much every medical school will require BCM.

Almost none of the schools have a BCM lab requirement.

but coming up very soon, pretty much every medical school will require BCM.
Bcm=biochem? And will they require biochem with lab?

Bcm=biochem? And will they require biochem with lab?

Yes, BCM = biochem.

As I stated, most schools do not require a lab component for biochemistry. I thought I saw one that did, but I could be mistaken. As always, check the school requirements to verify.