Biochemistry and Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4Paws89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know of any school that doesnt require Biochem and/or Genetics as a pre-req?
Would it be okay to this course online? If so, who took it where (Online)

Also- Do you think it would be good experience to volunteer or do an internship at an abattoir?
Sketchy, I know- but my niche seems to be Large Animal and Food Science..

Any help would be great

Members don't see this ad.

I took biochem but not genetics, which left me with 9 schools I was eligible to apply for: Auburn, Cornell, LSU, Tufts (genetics is required if not covered in general bio), Georgia, Illinois, Missouri, UPenn, and VMRCVM. I did take stats and speech, and some of those schools also require animal nutrition. And I'm not sure whether those requirements are current, but they were when I applied last cycle (for 2017).

I took biochem but not genetics, which left me with 9 schools I was eligible to apply for: Auburn, Cornell, LSU, Tufts (genetics is required if not covered in general bio), Georgia, Illinois, Missouri, UPenn, and VMRCVM. I did take stats and speech, and some of those schools also require animal nutrition. And I'm not sure whether those requirements are current, but they were when I applied last cycle (for 2017).
did you get accepted into any of the above schools? Where did you take Biochem at?

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get accepted into any of the above schools? Where did you take Biochem at?
Applied to Cornell, LSU, Missouri, UPenn, and VMRCVM and got accepted at 4 of them. My undergrad offered biochem with organic as a prereq, so it was easy to take it. I would have got a chem minor, too, if I'd taken a second semester of biochem!

I took genetics online from NCSU and it was pretty good

ETA: and I have a few acceptances so it obviously wasn't a problem

Oregan State has a pretty nice online biochem course that schools will accept.

I'm currently taking both classes online. Taking Animal Genetics from OK state (pretty cheap), just make sure the schools you want to apply to will take it. And I'm taking biochem from Kansas state. So far so good on both of these.

I'm currently taking both classes online. Taking Animal Genetics from OK state (pretty cheap), just make sure the schools you want to apply to will take it. And I'm taking biochem from Kansas state. So far so good on both of these.
Thank you!!!!! Where are you getting your Undergrad from? My fear is that my application will have too many colleges. Do you think that is something that will be overlooked?

Thank you!!!!! Where are you getting your Undergrad from? My fear is that my application will have too many colleges. Do you think that is something that will be overlooked?

I took Biochem online through the University Of New England, as well as Organic Chem 2 with a lab through them. I have been accepted to 2 schools (Missouri and Minnesota) and on one wait list (Ohio State). I had 3 separate schools for my transcripts, I don't think it hurt me at all.

I already received my BS in business in 2008, so now I'm just trying to get my pre-reqs finished. When I apply I will have 6 colleges on my application, and I'm sure others have applied with many colleges as well, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Does your online BioChem have a lab? I saw that New England College offers a lab online but I'm not sure how that works..

I took Biochem online through the University Of New England, as well as Organic Chem 2 with a lab through them. I have been accepted to 2 schools (Missouri and Minnesota) and on one wait list (Ohio State). I had 3 separate schools for my transcripts, I don't think it hurt me at all.
How do the labs work online? And what schools do you intend on applying to? I'm just wondering if UPenn and Cornell will be ok with me taking these courses online. Also, what is the difficulty level? Thanks!

How do the labs work online? And what schools do you intend on applying to? I'm just wondering if UPenn and Cornell will be ok with me taking these courses online. Also, what is the difficulty level? Thanks!
It would probably be best to contact admissions at those schools directly. They can tell you whether a certain course will satisfy their requirements.

Hi there! So sorry to bother you, but do you have the link or information for the genetics class online through Oklahoma State? I cannot find it anywhere on their website. How did you enjoy the class? Can you start it anytime throughout the year?