Biochemistry College Major?

stephf.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a high school sophmore and I just recently decided I wanted to go to med school. I'm in the top one percent of my class and I have a 4.0 GPA and I'm taking AP Bio Dual and Pre-AP Chemistry right now. I wanted to major in Biochemistry in college because it covers all of the Pre-med requirements and I want to be prepared for the classes I'll be taking in medical school, but I've heard that some of the classes that major requires are extremely hard (Calculus I,II and III, Physics I and II, Genetics, and Physical Chemistry to name a few).

I'm doing extremely well in chemistry and bio right now with a semester average of a 99 in both classes, but I'm worried that once I get to college the biology and chemistry classes will get a lot harder. I don't expect to get straight A's in every single one of my classes in college, but I hear most med schools want at least a 3.7 GPA. I want to be a competitive applicant too, so would it just be better to go in with an easy major? Or should I go ahead and go in as a Biochemistry major knowing that my GPA would suffer more?

I already know that Genetics is hard, we just took our unit test over that, and the probability threw me off. I'm not super good with numbers or a conceptual person, so I'm already skeptical about physics and calculus. I don't want to go into college or med school unprepared for the course work, but I also don't want to ruin my GPA in an attempt to prepare myself for medical school on the assumption that I'll be accepted in the first place. I also plan on minoring in psychology with whatever major I go into because I hear that's on the MCAT.

Would it just be easier to go in with an easy major, or go in for Biochemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biochemistry. Let me tell you a few things:
  1. Nothing in high school will guarantee you that any science classes will be any easier. I had a 4.4 GPA in high school and got into two top 10 colleges when done applying. I went to a state university and the gen bio, chem, and physics classes kicked my ass. Hell, biochemistry was an entirely new concept to me (outside of acid/base chemistry and organic chemistry). I made 5's on the AP Chem and Bio exams my senior year.
  2. Physical Chemistry sucks.
  3. Your AP credits may not even cover 1st year general biology and gen chemistry credits.
  4. A 3.7 is very good, but don't worry if you get below that. I had a 3.68 by the end of my senior year and I got interviews at top 10 programs.
  5. Numbers are too overstated on SDN.
  6. You seem to be choosing biochemistry just because you're doing well in your AP classes. Don't do that. If you have a legitimate interest in biochemistry, go ahead. I promise you if you are going into a major and minor just to give you a "leg up" on the MCAT and make it more convenient for you to get in, then you're in for a rude awakening and will end up hating your career path. I've seen a few people in my physical chemistry, biochemistry, and organic chemistry classes have this epiphany of "what the actual f**k am I doing here?" and change their majors. I promise that Medical School Admissions Committees do not care what your major is, even if you chose to major in Art History. As long as you take the required courses (and a few upper-level biology courses) that you will be FINE.
  7. No majors are easy. Science, math, engineering, etc. majors require very intelligent people. Other majors require extensive work that will occupy a lot of your time. Some majors require both.
  8. Stop worrying about the MCAT now. What you should be worrying about is how to budget, where your interests are (club and personal-time-wise), if you're going to join a time-consuming club (rushing and pledging a fraternity or being part of a large, campus-wide community service committee, for example), getting into your dream college, paying for college, and enjoying your last year in high school (assuming you're a senior).
  9. Physical Chemistry still sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biochemistry. Let me tell you a few things:
  1. Nothing in high school will guarantee you that any science classes will be any easier. I had a 4.4 GPA in high school and got into two top 10 colleges when done applying. I went to a state university and the gen bio, chem, and physics classes kicked my ass. Hell, biochemistry was an entirely new concept to me (outside of acid/base chemistry and organic chemistry). I made 5's on the AP Chem and Bio exams my senior year.
  2. Physical Chemistry sucks.
  3. Your AP credits may not even cover 1st year general biology and gen chemistry credits.
  4. A 3.7 is very good, but don't worry if you get below that. I had a 3.68 by the end of my senior year and I got interviews at top 10 programs.
  5. Numbers are too overstated on SDN.
  6. You seem to be choosing biochemistry just because you're doing well in your AP classes. Don't do that. If you have a legitimate interest in biochemistry, go ahead. I promise you if you are going into a major and minor just to give you a "leg up" on the MCAT and make it more convenient for you to get in, then you're in for a rude awakening and will end up hating your career path. I've seen a few people in my physical chemistry, biochemistry, and organic chemistry classes have this epiphany of "what the actual f**k am I doing here?" and change their majors. I promise that Medical School Admissions Committees do not care what your major is, even if it's Art History. As long as you take the required courses (and a few upper-level biology courses) that you will be FINE.
  7. No majors are easy. Science, math, engineering, etc. majors require very intelligent people. Other majors require extensive work that will occupy a lot of your time. Some majors require both.
  8. Stop worrying about the MCAT now. What you should be worrying about is how to budget, where your interests are (club and personal-time-wise), if you're going to join a time-consuming club (rushing and pledging a fraternity or being part of a large, campus-wide community service committee, for example), getting into your dream college, paying for college, and enjoying your last year in high school (assuming you're a senior).
  9. Physical Chemistry still sucks.

Thank you for the reply. I was considering Biochemisty because I do genuinely enjoy the classes that I'm taking and I understand the material clearly, but I'm worried that once I get into classes that the major requires, I'll just be terribly confused. I also want to be prepared for anything in the future, medical school or mcat.

I realize that all majors require work and that none are easy, but from what I've heard, it's easier to make a higher GPA in certain majors. Ones that don't require physical chemistry for example. As for the college credits I'm taking now, they technically only cover a semester in college, so yes, you're correct in that regard.

My main priority at the moment is school though, and I'm sincerely hoping that scholarship money is in my future. I'm working summers, so yes I have been taking budget into consideration. I don't expect to not come out with a college loan though.

Biology and chemistry are the most interesting classes I've encountered thus far in my high school career which is why I wanted a major that incorporated both of them. I wasn't sure if it would be better to do that or go into an easier major that seemed equally as interesting. From what I've heard, Biochemistry seems to be one of the more challenging majors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To build on what Oncologist is saying, the AP courses will definitely still be helpful and take as many as you feel comfortable. Neither of the schools I have attended offered remedial biology (I failed bio in high school!) and I've had to work far harder in those than even Calc or Orgo (n=1). Just don't expect to coast through gen chem because you had AP chem - there will still be a lot work, but you'll have a good grasp of the basics.

Go to a school you feel you can do well at as well. Schools like JHU, Vanderbilt, and MIT - and to a lesser extent top publics like Berkeley, and UCLA - are very competitive and will likely have copious grade deflation. I'm not trying to deter you from going to these schools - just be aware that attending can be risky.

Just enjoy high school and figure out what your passions are (outside of the sciences). I got a science degree and, honestly, I wish I would have gotten my degree in mathematics. But, that is irrelevant now. Point is, major in what you love. You can/ should be passionate about things that aren't related to medicine.

@FutureOncologist pretty much summed up everything you need to know. Let me re-emphasize in case he/she didn't make it clear enough: p chem blows.

I agree with Oncologist. Here are a few hints of my own:
I'm a senior in biochemistry at Penn State right now and recently got accepted to two medical schools.
I sucked at chemistry and physics in high school (I had Bs). I decided to go into biochemistry mostly for the same reason you are thinking of. It is true that it prepares you very well for MCAT (I can't compare that to other majors but I'm sure they prepare you well for it too), and that it covers all the prereqs.

I can tell you this. As long as you study hard in college, you will get a good GPA. It doesn't matter which major you picked. Even if it's an "easy" major, some people still find a way to flunk out of college.

I agree with Oncologist. Here are a few hints of my own:
I'm a senior in biochemistry at Penn State right now and recently got accepted to two medical schools.
I sucked at chemistry and physics in high school (I had Bs). I decided to go into biochemistry mostly for the same reason you are thinking of. It is true that it prepares you very well for MCAT (I can't compare that to other majors but I'm sure they prepare you well for it too), and that it covers all the prereqs.

I can tell you this. As long as you study hard in college, you will get a good GPA. It doesn't matter which major you picked. Even if it's an "easy" major, some people still find a way to flunk out of college.
Did you know you wanted to major in biochem from freshman year? Did you really like gen chem or chemistry/bio in general? What was the "turning point" when you realized you wanted to major in it? Because I'm in the same boat as OP. really interested in bio/chem getting mostly A's but I'm worried college course sciences will leave me in the dust without a shot at med school.

Stephf,

Only 15% of medical students majored in the physical sciences in college according to AAMC. What does that tell you?

Majoring in chemistry or physics is a gigantic mistake if you want to go to medical school because it will kill your GPA. Chemistry and physics majors must take more math and science classes, harder science classes and more science classes at the same time than their competitors. The people who work in med school admissions offices will not adjust your GPA to account for a more rigorous major. You should major in biology or a social science and never take more than two science classes per semester.

I would advise you to take all of the toughest math and science classes you can in high school but do not take any for advanced placement credits. Take all of the freshman 101 classes in the sciences that actually count as college credit. Blow off the placement exams. Do not take any honors classes in college. Get those "A"s. Every "B" on your college transcript is a med school coffin nail.

Did you know you wanted to major in biochem from freshman year? Did you really like gen chem or chemistry/bio in general? What was the "turning point" when you realized you wanted to major in it? Because I'm in the same boat as OP. really interested in bio/chem getting mostly A's but I'm worried college course sciences will leave me in the dust without a shot at med school.

I went to a mandatory orientation at Penn State specifically for science students. Over there they showed you every science majors' required classes and their 4 years recommended schedule. The first two years are almost the same for chemistry, physics, microbio, etc. majors but I realized that biochemistry has all of the required classes for premed. That was basically my turning point. At the orientation with my parents looking over the classes. As I start my first two years, I realized that I really like gen physics and chemistry (gen AND organic). Biochemistry is actually mostly physics and chemistry with little biology to my surprise. You don't have to be the best in these science classes in high school. College with teach you EVERYTHING you need to know. They will start from the beginning. I entered college knowing that I have a clean slate. Nothing mattered in high school.

Majoring in chemistry or physics is a gigantic mistake if you want to go to medical school because it will kill your GPA. Chemistry and physics majors must take more math and science classes, harder science classes and more science classes at the same time than their competitors. The people who work in med school admissions offices will not adjust your GPA to account for a more rigorous major. You should major in biology or a social science and never take more than two science classes per semester.
Uhh, I'm calling bull crap on this post.
  1. It's OP's choice on deciding what he/she wants to major in. If Biochemistry really is something you're interested in, then go for it.
  2. The reason why biochemistry is a good major for premeds is that it covers every prereq that premeds need to take, with exception to upper level bio courses.
  3. I'll agree that it's a hard major, but what major isn't hard?
  4. More and more schools are requiring biochemistry with the changing MCAT. This constitutes at a majority of colleges and universities as a chemistry minor. Thus, taking these classes that the major requires are very important.
  5. You're generalizing every (bio)chemistry and physics majors here. In my graduating class, 72% of the people that started college with a biochemistry degree graduated. Of that, 87% graduated with a 3.5 cGPA (cum laude.)
  6. You should never take more than two labs, but you can take an entire semester of science classes (without labs) and do fine. I had two separate semesters of pure upper level bio and chem classes and made a 4.0.
  7. Even though adcoms don't inflate GPA, they will take your course rigor when looking at your application. A biochem major that made a 3.7 generally will look better than an Art History major with a 4.0, taking the bare minimum. Kinda unfair, but it's true.

"I'll agree that it's a hard major, but what major isn't hard?"
Psychology; And Business, maybe, idk for sure.
:corny:
  1. It's OP's choice on deciding what he/she wants to major in. If Biochemistry really is something you're interested in, then go for it.
  2. The reason why biochemistry is a good major for premeds is that it covers every prereq that premeds need to take, with exception to upper level bio courses.
  4. More and more schools are requiring biochemistry with the changing MCAT. This constitutes at a majority of colleges and universities as a chemistry minor. Thus, taking these classes that the major requires are very important.
  5. You're generalizing every (bio)chemistry and physics majors here. In my graduating class, 72% of the people that started college with a biochemistry degree graduated. Of that, 87% graduated with a 3.5 cGPA (cum laude.)
  6. You should never take more than two labs, but you can take an entire semester of science classes (without labs) and do fine. I had two separate semesters of pure upper level bio and chem classes and made a 4.0.
  7. Even though adcoms don't inflate GPA, they will take your course rigor when looking at your application. A biochem major that made a 3.7 generally will look better than an Art History major with a 4.0, taking the bare minimum. Kinda unfair, but it's true.

Who said the OP isn't free to choose his/her own major? He or she is perfectly free to choose chemistry or bio chem. My point is that those are simply stupid choices.

The OP can cover all of the medical school prerequisites including biochemistry by taking 4 chemistry classes, 2 algebra based physics classes and 4 biology classes. Why would he or she want to take two semesters of calculus and calculus based physics. Why take 18 math and science classes? Why take P Chem? If the med school of his her choice wants one or two math classes on the transcript, he or she can take college algebra and stats.

There are lots of easy majors that aren't chock full of premed gunners. There are people getting into med school with econ, history and phys ed degrees. One third of the people who get into med school aren't science majors.

My daughter was a Chemistry major at a private college and about one third of her classmates had been accepted at Michigan for undergrad but turned Michigan down because UM was insufficiently intense. At her college 150 students per year took general chemistry but only 70 took organic. The chem and bio departments wanted to weed people out and by God they did it. With the statistics you cited, your college must have had an A- curve. Congratulations! You took the easy way in to med school at a college with rampant grade inflation. The reason my daughter got into med school was a sterling MCAT score and an interviewer at her med school who was actually familiar with her college.

There is absolutely nothing unfair about adcoms normalizing undergraduate transcripts to account for the varying rigor of colleges and majors. In my opinion they don't do enough of it.

Any major will be hard for you if you're not genuinely interested in it. It's better for you to choose a major, even if it's something that requires difficult courses, that you're interested in rather than one you think will be "easy."

There are other majors that involve biology and chemistry that cover the pre-reqs though.... neuroscience is an example, but obviously biology and chemistry also tend cover them. Forensic Science (it's still kind of a new major, so few colleges seem to have it though) generally covers them as well as it usually involves a lot of chemistry.

But of course, you can major in anything you like and then just take the pre-reqs. It's up to you. Personally, I'm covering the pre-reqs with my double major. As for the minor, again, are you actually interested in psychology? You'd likely only need introductory psychology and sociology for the MCAT. Or you could self-study them.

But you're only a sophomore, seriously, your interests are likely to change as you take more courses. I wouldn't even be thinking about a major at this point. You've only taken the basics of chemistry and biology, so I'd be willing to bet you'll change your mind when it comes to the upper-level chemistry classes. Just enjoy high school for now.

With the statistics you cited, your college must have had an A- curve. Congratulations! You took the easy way in to med school at a college with rampant grade inflation.
Not really. I went to a state university with no grade inflation that I'm aware of in the sciences (only ~17% of students get A's in gen bio, chem, physics, and calculus courses (discluding B-Cal)).

We had a rather small size of students majoring in Biochemistry, which was I believe only ~60 - 70 graduating. We were a small amount and we knew each other very well going into Ochem II. Hell, about 15 of them are in my MD class, while around 40 or so others are in PT, OT, Dentistry, or grad school.

I do agree with you on other points. If you go into a chemistry major just to get a leg up in medical school applications, you're gonna hate it. I shadowed a cardiologist in undergrad that had a music degree from his state college and was accepted to Vanderbilt. It's all about how you represent yourself.

I'm thinking of choosing biochemistry as premed too- I really love it. But supposing I don't get med school,is it a good back-up major? How are the job prospects with a PhD? And is it better than a bio major? Sorry for bumping an old thread :p

I've found that people that are successful keep being successful. Work hard and everything will fall into place. Stick with the biochemistry major. Don't go in with back up plans. Keep your eyes on the prize.

I hated genetics in high school. I ended up taking two semester of it in college and am during research in it and now I actually enjoy it. Making your weaknesses your strengths goes a long way.