Biochemistry & Psychology/Sociology - Kaplan vs. TPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daftypatty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, for those of you who've taken the April exams, I understand the none of the prep companies really prepared you guys for the types of data analysis/research based questions on the new mcat. But, with the lack of options out there, we too are limited in our study options...

With that being said, I didn't see a consensus regarding whether TPR or Kaplan was better for the psych/sociology or biochem. I'm getting mixed reactions - I've also heard Barron psych/sociology for AP being mentioned, but I'm reluctant to use that as it's the one least catered to mcat.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

TPR pretty much doesn't cover Biochem.

No psych book is inclusive of all tested topics, so it's up to you to use AAMC outline to make sure you cover everything.

Okay thanks, I didn't have TPR so I didn't know. So both TPR and Kaplan are similar in terms of psych then?

For what it's worth (maybe nothing at all)

The sciences were straightforward but don't underestimate biochemistry; I know I sure did. Verbal was easier than the old MCAT, since you are given more time. Psych/soc had a TON of terms that are not mentioned in Kaplan or EK (used both). I believe that students who actually took a full semester in Psych and Sociology will be at a HUGE advantage, because test prep companies simply did not provide all the information necessary to perform well.

I agree with the sentiment that one should definitely use the official outline, though, and make sure everything is covered one way or another (even if it means cracking a book other than prep books :eek:), rather than relying solely on prep companies. The choice is trusting the administrators of the test itself, who have no reason to help you other than the fact that they simply want to, or trusting prep companies, who do not necessarily need to help you provided that they have effective marketing strategies.