Biochemistry Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would this meet the requirement?
Chem 210 Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry
upload_2016-9-14_22-6-29.png

Members don't see this ad.

chemistry I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
Would this meet the requirement?
Chem 210 Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry
View attachment 209007

Just contact the schools you're applying to (or planning on applying to) and ask if this fullfills their biochemistry requirement. I did that last fall for a spring course to see if it was sufficient and they all answered me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just contact the schools you're applying to (or planning on applying to) and ask if this fullfills their biochemistry requirement. I did that last fall for a spring course to see if it was sufficient and they all answered me.
Thanks. I will do that, is it preposterous for me to call and ask if I haven't even gotten a II?

It depends which schools you are applying to.

For example:
I took a similar course as this, and my HPAC advisor informed me that It would not cover the ochem/biochem pre-requisite. I ended up taking 2 semesters of Ochem (1&2) and one of BCH
My school only offers 1 semester of organic chemistry lab (its worth double credits and covers information from 1 & 2) This was not a problem on my apps because the course was worth enough credits to count for 2 semesters.

Since you're hoping to fill a biochemistry requirement, this may require calling the schools you are applying to. Most of them like to see "BCH-101" or something similar.
CHM usually fulfills only chemistry requirements unless the course name is biochem specifically (since some schools don't give biochem its own department / class code)

If this class had a heavy focus on biochem, then you can list it and make a note on your secondaries (some schools will let you pick which classes fulfill each requirement)
As always, calling the school is your best bet.

-Rogue Banana out :banana:

Pretty sure this is the orgo lite for nurses if you're taking it at a certain Maryland school (I did orgo there). This probably won't count, given that the same school offers explicit biochem department courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, if you haven't taken any type of biochem course yet, DO IT. I am drowning in complex biochem pathways and details and I feel like more exposure to it beforehand would have been very helpful

It depends which schools you are applying to.

For example:
I took a similar course as this, and my HPAC advisor informed me that It would not cover the ochem/biochem pre-requisite. I ended up taking 2 semesters of Ochem (1&2) and one of BCH
My school only offers 1 semester of organic chemistry lab (its worth double credits and covers information from 1 & 2) This was not a problem on my apps because the course was worth enough credits to count for 2 semesters.

Since you're hoping to fill a biochemistry requirement, this may require calling the schools you are applying to. Most of them like to see "BCH-101" or something similar.
CHM usually fulfills only chemistry requirements unless the course name is biochem specifically (since some schools don't give biochem its own department / class code)

If this class had a heavy focus on biochem, then you can list it and make a note on your secondaries (some schools will let you pick which classes fulfill each requirement)
As always, calling the school is your best bet.

-Rogue Banana out :banana:
I have 10 credits worth of Orgo- I hated it, probably wont take it every again if I dont have too. I will call and see if they can take the online course to meet this requirements. Thanks.

Also, if you haven't taken any type of biochem course yet, DO IT. I am drowning in complex biochem pathways and details and I feel like more exposure to it beforehand would have been very helpful
Would studying for the MCAT count?

Pretty sure this is the orgo lite for nurses if you're taking it at a certain Maryland school (I did orgo there). This probably won't count, given that the same school offers explicit biochem department courses.
This is not from md. It is approximately 700 miles away. It is from a community college so you may be correct. It is difficult to work full time hours and get a specific class around said hours. I will probably try to take the online class and call the schools.

I have 10 credits worth of Orgo- I hated it, probably wont take it every again if I dont have too. I will call and see if they can take the online course to meet this requirements. Thanks.
I wouldn't recommend taking an online course, medical schools have been known to look down on that (since they're easier). BCH isn't nearly as bad as organic, especially if you get a good instructor.