Biochemistry vs Anat & phys before the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luthertaketwo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can take a year of either, or one semester of one and one semester of the other. We don't have a "just physiology" class, so I have to take it with anantomy, so I pretty much need to take a full year of it to equal a semester of phys by itself. So, I could do any one of these:
Semester 1, semester 2

A&P1/biochem1
Biochem1/biochem2
A&P1/A&P2

If we had a pure phys class, I would just take that and one semester of biochem, but we don't =(.

Members don't see this ad.

you really dont need any of those classes...but the biochem will prolly help the most cause you learn pathways and stuff...and those are popular passages on the mcat.

aw man jlee I have to disagree with you...I'd suggest taking the physiology class. just about everything that is discussed in the BS section (aside for organic) is covered in physiology. incidently, i just finished a quarter of physiology and really wish i had had it prior to the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you looking for more PS help: biochem!

if you're looking to boost your BS score: anat/phys..

I think relatively, biochem would help your MCAT b/c it touches a bit on both orgo and inorg. ; which straddle both the BS and PS sections.

good luck!

From what i remember, Biochem involves memorizing a bunch of pathways and structures that no normal person could retain for more than a week after the final. Down on biochem!

I'd go with biochem. It may have just been my form, but I don't really remember having any substantial amount of anatomy/physiology in my BS section at all. I hadn't taken any anatomy or physiology before the MCAT (still haven't) and didn't feel that this hurt me significantly. In contrast, the majority of the passages on my form required at least a cursory understanding of some basic concepts in biochemistry/molecular biology. A&P might help more for some of the discrete questions, but I think that biochem will be more helpful overall for the passages (which have greater weight in your section score).

The main thing with biochem is that it can be taught with a rote emphasis (i.e. memorize all steps X pathway) or with a critical thinking emphasis (i.e. use experimental data to draw conclusions). Courses of the former type will not be very useful for the MCAT, since you'll forget most of the material after the final. Courses of the latter will almost certainly help you on BS. It might be worthwhile to find out how biochem is taught at your university before you make your decision.

Physiology, in my opinion, is the better class to take before the MCAT. There were a lot of questions that I was able to answer because I had taken Physiology.

Having taking both classes, A&P would help you much more, especially the physiology section.
Biochem is helpful, but there is no requirement on the MCAT to have had upper level classes, thus there can be no specific questions that only come from biochem. Mainly, this class may halp to SOLIDIFY your preexisting knowledge from lower level classes.

i've taken all 3 of these classes, biochem before the mcat, A&P after the mcat. my opinion:

biochem > physio > > > > anatomy

After taking physio and biochem, I would definitely weight on the the physio side. There was a lot of physiology on my MCAT and pretty much zero biochem.

well, now that you have totally conflicting opinions...... I guess you are on your own in deciding what to pick. Glad to be here to confuse the crap out of people.:laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, you will just have to make a choice. Is it maybe possible to take both? I was also wondering,..... have you taken cell biology? That is a course that you should not take the MCAT without having it.

the bio section of the MCAT is genetics and physiology for the majority. so learn the most in those areas first.

forget biochemistry. i never even took it in college and graduated.

I'm taking Human Physiology right now...it's a great class to take so I recommend it just because the material is interesting. However, I don't think you should just take courses specifically for the MCAT because ..as people has said before...the MCAT doesn't require any upper level coursework..just introductory level biology.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
the MCAT doesn't require any upper level coursework..just introductory level biology.

Wrong, there is tons of physiology. You shouldn't be posting on this yet since you've yet to take the MCAT.

Originally posted by Peterock
Wrong, there is tons of physiology. You shouldn't be posting on this yet since you've yet to take the MCAT.

i had virtually none...but then again... it all matters which test you had. so its all test dependent.

I have taken a crapload of practice tests now and if they are representative of the real thing (and I would assume at least the aamc tests are) then i would take A&P over biochem. If you havent taken, i would take Genetics before I would take of those though.