Biochemistry vs. Cell/Molecular Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mel Belle

Cooler than absolute zero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of the electives I want to take are chemistry, so my advisor was suggesting that I think about changing from a biochemistry major to a chemistry major. I know I should take some sort of bio-related classes (I plan on doing A&P as well as Genetics and possibly a few more) but the benefit of being a chemistry major would be that I wouldn't have to take certain bio classes that are really time consuming, such as cell and molecular biology (mostly it's the lab that's the problem). Time-consuming classes are not something I need, since I'm also a physics, math, and psych minor. (I have enough time being consumed.)

I took a practice MCAT recently and noticed that there's a lot of cell/molec bio on there. I was wondering, do you think biochemistry would be adequate to cover those topics? I took general biology already, of course.

I'm going to try and see if I can get into advanced molecular biology without having had biochemistry instead of cell and molec. But that's not for certain. If I have to take cell and molec, then I will. I'm just trying to decide if I should. And by extension, if I should switch majors or not.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

At least on the current exam, all the cell you need is covered in EK bio. Biochem and Cell are very dissimilar, after chapter 1 they diverge pretty rapidly. Also, BioChem will be a large part of the next MCAT.

A major and 3 minors? Why not one major that could land you a solid job if you don't get into Med school? In other words, combine the Chem/Phys/Math into ChemE. and minor in Psyc if you really have to have a minor.

At least on the current exam, all the cell you need is covered in EK bio. Biochem and Cell are very dissimilar, after chapter 1 they diverge pretty rapidly. Also, BioChem will be a large part of the next MCAT.
I already know biochem will be a large part of the MCAT. But thank you for clarifying about how different the two courses are. I wasn't too confident that I would switch over to a chem major, but I figured I'd at least see if it would be feasible.

A major and 3 minors? Why not one major that could land you a solid job if you don't get into Med school? In other words, combine the Chem/Phys/Math into ChemE. and minor in Psyc if you really have to have a minor.
First of all, is there something wrong with taking extra classes that you want to take just because you enjoy them? I only really planned to do psych and physics for minors, the math just happened because of the physics (and because I want to take quantum mechanics, which has a lot of math prereqs). Honestly, I'm getting sick of people assuming I'm doing it to "look impressive" or something. No, I'm just interested in the courses. The purpose of psych is because I'm interested in psych and neuro as specialties.

But I have already thought about doing chemical or biomedical engineering, since I'm interested in doing an MD/PhD geared towards a biophysics project. However, It's evidently too late for me to switch now. I'm already planning a 5th year because I had a medical leave last semester (and because I'd like to do more research). I really don't need to be in undergrad for more than 5 years, and even if I wanted to, my dad is nice enough to pay for a lot of my schooling and is not interested in paying for any more than he already will be. (And before anyone asks/assumes, NO my parents are not rich at all or else I'm sure another extra year would be nothing for them.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, is there something wrong with taking extra classes that you want to take just because you enjoy them? I only really planned to do psych and physics for minors, the math just happened because of the physics (and because I want to take quantum mechanics, which has a lot of math prereqs).

I don't think anyone would argue there is anything "wrong" with taking extra classes because you enjoy them. I was suggesting that you combine some of your studies and put them toward something of great value if medical school does not work out for you.

Why would you not get into medical school? Well the average person is damn near incapable of pulling of a science major, 2 science minors, an additional minor, volunteering, extra-curricular activities, studying for the MCAT and doing it all well enough to maintain close to a 4.0 and score 31+ on the MCAT.

But hey, more power to you if you're that capable.

Honestly, I'm getting sick of people assuming I'm doing it to "look impressive" or something. No, I'm just interested in the courses. The purpose of psych is because I'm interested in psych and neuro as specialties.

Trust me, impressive is not the word that came to mind. Assuming works both ways, you can't knock it if you're doing it.

(And before anyone asks/assumes, NO my parents are not rich at all or else I'm sure another extra year would be nothing for them.)

Honestly, no one is assuming that because no one probably cares.
You're defensiveness is obnoxious. Why ask for help if you're going to respond with a bunch of attitude?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone would argue there is anything "wrong" with taking extra classes because you enjoy them. I was suggesting that you combine some of your studies and put them toward something of great value if medical school does not work out for you.
Well, given the way you worded your statement ending in, "if you really have to have a minor," it seemed as though you were suggesting that there was something wrong with having a few minors.

Trust me, impressive is not the word that came to mind.
Someone told me yesterday, "Wow, no need to do all those minors. If you're trying to be impressive, medical schools don't care." That's why I mentioned it. GPA is what's important, and mine is fine. That's all that matters, is it not? (In terms of what you're doing for coursework, that is.)

You're defensiveness is obnoxious. Why ask for help if you're going to respond with a bunch of attitude?
I wasn't responding with attitude I was just trying to cover my bases. The internet is pretty insufficient in terms of expressing tonality.

Last edited:
I can't decide between either major... I love both chemistry and biology! I do not know exactly what answers I am looking for here, but I cannot decide which one I think I would like more. I have started to look at what ones would help prepare me for the MCAT, because I have gotten to the point where I am just running in circles! So if anyone could share their pre med major stories, maybe that will help me out. I also want to take into consideration how it effected other peoples GPA. I would like to know if you switched from one to the other, why and how was it? How was your experience taking it as your major?

-Again, I am not taking these for the MCAT or anything like that, I genuinely love the idea of both and just cannot decide which one I would enjoy most.

I genuinely love the idea of both and just cannot decide which one I would enjoy most.

No one can realistically help you with this. If all things are actually equal for you, get out your trusty quarter and flip it.

I can't decide between either major... I love both chemistry and biology! I do not know exactly what answers I am looking for here, but I cannot decide which one I think I would like more. I have started to look at what ones would help prepare me for the MCAT, because I have gotten to the point where I am just running in circles! So if anyone could share their pre med major stories, maybe that will help me out. I also want to take into consideration how it effected other peoples GPA. I would like to know if you switched from one to the other, why and how was it? How was your experience taking it as your major?

-Again, I am not taking these for the MCAT or anything like that, I genuinely love the idea of both and just cannot decide which one I would enjoy most.

Are you a freshman? I would not decide between two majors until after you finish Organic Chemistry successfully. If at that point you still enjoy chemistry, you can go ahead with being a chemistry major. Honestly I don't understand how people come into college saying that they are going to major in biochemistry if they don't even know what it is.

What's going to help you score well on MCAT is studying for it specifically; not necessarily choosing one major over another.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly I don't understand how people come into college saying that they are going to major in biochemistry if they don't even know what it is.

I know what biochemistry is, my dad majored in it at UofA and we have talked about it a little together. I just don't know what I want to do.... I just want something I will enjoy but not kill my GPA at the same time!

I know what biochemistry is, my dad majored in it at UofA and we have talked about it a little together. I just don't know what I want to do.... I just want something I will enjoy but not kill my GPA at the same time!

That's why the only way to make a final decision about your major is by taking a few classes in each subject and see which you enjoy more/ can do better in.

Don't pick a major for anyone, but yourself.

That's why the only way to make a final decision about your major is by taking a few classes in each subject and see which you enjoy more/ can do better in.

Don't pick a major for anyone, but yourself.

I know, I'm the sort of person that always like to know what they're going to do in advance, admittedly, I probably wouldn't care if I did end up changing my major!