Biology Courses for Senior Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dppower91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, hope all is well and Happy Easter. Firstly, I would like to say that I know this is a commonly asked question and I have researched it, but I was hoping to get some info for my case/school specifically. I am trying to find out the best biology courses to take for my senior year. I have a lot of credit space to choose which courses to take and I've already taken Micro, and A&P I and II all with lab. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 3.68 ScienceGPA and plan on taking the MCAT sometime next year. I don't plan on applying to any Top 20 programs, so I'm really just looking for the best courses to put me in a the best possible position when applying comes around. However, I go to a small state school so some of the courses available are limited. The courses available to me are;
- Human genetics ( no lab),
-Advanced human physiology (no lab),
-Organisms and Adaption ( with lab but is our first level bio courses offered),
- Cell and Molecular Bio (with lab),
-Ecology ( with lab)
-and finally developmental bio.
- I can also take an online Biochemistry course from UNE
I know it can be dependent on which schools I apply to but I was hoping to get some advice on which three or so courses may be best for me to take, or advice from anyone who gained alot of good info from any of these particular courses. Thank you in advance, I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do online courses. Just don't.

Beyond that, it doesn't matter, and no one will care. Ecology/Organisms sounds a little off and bit boring if you're used to cell and molecular stuff, though.

Well, it seems like you'll be taking the 2015 MCAT so I would go with biochem, but I wouldn't do it online. Cell/molecular would also be beneficial in your case too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do online courses. Just don't.

Beyond that, it doesn't matter, and no one will care. Ecology/Organisms sounds a little off and bit boring if you're used to cell and molecular stuff, though.

I never took one but i was planning on doing one next semester. What would you say is the main problem with them?

I never took one but i was planning on doing one next semester. What would you say is the main problem with them?
Few schools take them seriously. Definitely don't do it for a BCPM. Non-science is probably passable

Take physiology, and immunology if it is offered.

I would research the quality of the online biochem course before you take it. My school offers an online biochem course and it is the exact same as the regular biochemistry class that you attend, the same exact lectures are recorded so the "quality" is the same.

physiology will never hurt you or be a waste if medicine is the goal.

Hello all, hope all is well and Happy Easter. Firstly, I would like to say that I know this is a commonly asked question and I have researched it, but I was hoping to get some info for my case/school specifically. I am trying to find out the best biology courses to take for my senior year. I have a lot of credit space to choose which courses to take and I've already taken Micro, and A&P I and II all with lab. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 3.68 ScienceGPA and plan on taking the MCAT sometime next year. I don't plan on applying to any Top 20 programs, so I'm really just looking for the best courses to put me in a the best possible position when applying comes around. However, I go to a small state school so some of the courses available are limited. The courses available to me are;
- Human genetics ( no lab),
-Advanced human physiology (no lab),
-Organisms and Adaption ( with lab but is our first level bio courses offered),
- Cell and Molecular Bio (with lab),
-Ecology ( with lab)
-and finally developmental bio.
- I can also take an online Biochemistry course from UNE
I know it can be dependent on which schools I apply to but I was hoping to get some advice on which three or so courses may be best for me to take, or advice from anyone who gained alot of good info from any of these particular courses. Thank you in advance, I appreciate any advice.
I loved the developmental biology course at my school. You get a decent amount of genetics, molecular biology, cell biology, etc. while learning some pretty fascinating (IMO) material.