Biology Lab Pre-Req Senior Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalelove94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently am applying to medical school this summer, and I have completed all my pre-reqs as well as some upper-level biology classes, but I still have not completed the 2-credit biology lab pre-req. I am currently enrolled in a biology lab, but I want to drop it in order to have more time to study for my MCAT. This would mean that I would have to take the biology lab senior year. Would this put me at any disadvantage when applying? I know most med schools want to see the prereqs before you matriculate, but would not having the biology lab pre-req look bad? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the required lab listed as a future planned class on your application, and complete it creditably, you'll be fine at all but a very few schools.

Would you please elaborate on the last part? I thought that the prerequisites had to be completed prior to matriculation and not application. And it is just a lab; there are actually schools that would penalize the original poster for this?

Members don't see this ad :)
As reported by SDNers in past seasons, so things may have changed: Temple, Wake, VCU, Davis require all prereqs by the time of application. Penn State, Cornell, Vanderbilt require them done by January before matriculation (Vanderbilt said by fall, but let someone take longer). Columbia says you can lack no more than 2 prereqs by the time of application. All these should be checked for current policy, but it gives a starting point. And all schools don't require labs, so then the policy wouldn't be an issue for that school.

As reported by SDNers in past seasons, so things may have changed: Temple, Wake, VCU, Davis require all prereqs by the time of application. Penn State, Cornell, Vanderbilt require them done by January before matriculation (Vanderbilt said by fall, but let someone take longer). Columbia says you can lack no more than 2 prereqs by the time of application. All these should be checked for current policy, but it gives a starting point. And all schools don't require labs, so then the policy wouldn't be an issue for that school.

Thanks!