Biology pre-requisite question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintysparkle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-requisites for Dental school are 2 semesters of biology with lab or in other words 8 semester hours of Biology with lab. I took Biology 101 with lab and currently enrolled in Biology 102 with lab. I am wondering if I can drop this Biology 102 w/lab in place of another Biology course. Does the lab and course have to be paired? For example if I were to later take Molecular Biology lecture and a Cell biology lab would that count for the pre-requisite or do I just have to complete the sequence of 101-102 with lab?

Members don't see this ad.

For dental school, you probably do not need to take the 101-102 sequence, but for your undergrad program, 102 may be a pre-req for the higher-level biology classes you would prefer. In my opinion, I would take the 101 and 102 (do not drop the class, it doesn't look too good on your transcript) and take higher level classes in addition. I am assuming you are not a biology major, or you would have to take Cell/Mol anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
i agree with above poster and also finish the 102, in addition to upper-level bios later on.

i took all the upper level bios first, then my state school told me go to back and take 101/102 -_-

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't make things tougher on yourself. There's a 100% chance that dental schools will count your Bio 101 and 102, but the same cannot be said if you swap out 102 with an upper level class.

Reactions: 1 user
i agree with above poster and also finish the 102, in addition to upper-level bios later on.

i took all the upper level bios first, then my state school told me go to back and take 101/102 -_-

oh gosh, that would have annoyed me to the umpth degree. btw the puppy in your display pic is absolutely precious!

oh gosh, that would have annoyed me to the umpth degree. btw the puppy in your display pic is absolutely precious!

definitely! i went from immunology to "what is a cell?" glad that's over

thanks!! puppies <333 :D

Pre-requisites for Dental school are 2 semesters of biology with lab or in other words 8 semester hours of Biology with lab. I took Biology 101 with lab and currently enrolled in Biology 102 with lab. I am wondering if I can drop this Biology 102 w/lab in place of another Biology course. Does the lab and course have to be paired? For example if I were to later take Molecular Biology lecture and a Cell biology lab would that count for the pre-requisite or do I just have to complete the sequence of 101-102 with lab?

hey . did you find out if the lab course have to be matching pair with lecture course for dental school biology prerequisite?
it is quite vague because they just say , 8 semesters with lab.... ?

hey . did you find out if the lab course have to be matching pair with lecture course for dental school biology prerequisite?
it is quite vague because they just say , 8 semesters with lab.... ?
They mean general biology

They mean general biology
oh ! i see. that is great. except my school general bio didn't have lab component.
So as long as i have one year of lab (any bio lab) would that satisfy the requirement??

oh ! i see. that is great. except my school general bio didn't have lab component.
So as long as i have one year of lab (any bio lab) would that satisfy the requirement??
I have no idea, tbh. I have never heard of general bio without the lab. You're going to have to call the schools you're planning on applying to.