Biomedical Eng. 3.3 GPA 512 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eurias99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Biomedical Engineering major at JHU. My GPA will be a 3.35 when I graduate. I messed up and got a 2.2 gpa one semester. However, I have shown a significant upward trend and my gpa has gone from a 2.9 to a 3.35. My MCAT scores was 512 (87%): 127 C/P(78%), 125 CARS (58%), 130 B/BC (97%), and 130 Soc/Psych (97%). I also have a couple of leadership positions in extracurricular clubs and >200 hours shadowing. I am going to do an MHS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology my gap year at the same college. I am also Hispanic and a Texas resident, so I wanted to see what my chances to get into Baylor or Southwestern were? What med schools should I apply for?

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor and Southwestern are likely above your reach, even considering URM status. You are, however, competitive for other MD schools, such as every other UT campus and the other commonly cited "low tiers"

What community are you from? Not all Hispanics are URMs

If in fact you qualify for URM status you have a shot at being competitive for just about any school in Texas. Applying to lower tier OOS schools from Texas is pointless but it might be worth a stab at a few of the bigger names OOS depending on what kind of research experience you have.

I forgot to mention that when I apply I will have 4 years of research experience at a Tissue engineering lab and 2 publications as second author (1 of them is in Nature). Also, designed an ultrasonic tip for spinal surgery that is patent pending. My design team and I co-founded an LLC and have received seed funding. I think my extracurricular activities and research are strong, but its just my gpa that really messed things up. If you remove that bad semester, my gpa goes from 3.35 to 3.6