Biostats / Behavioral Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am posting in this group, as opposed to in the Step1 page, because I want the input of people who have taken, rather than who are preparing for, Step1.

Biostats and behavioral science are my weaker areas in QBank at the moment (85% cumulative performance in USMLE Rx through ~1700 questions, with those two components ~low-70s).

Is there anything that stands out in your mind as far as preparation for biostats and/or behavioral science is concerned?

In other words, what do you recommend / would you have done anything differently?

*Are there any particular questions that come to mind from the exam that caught you by surprise, etc.?*

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me input here. Thanks so much!

~Phloston

Members don't see this ad.

If you are struggling on USMLERx's biostats then you are going to be in a for rude surprise when you take the real test.

Sorry not to be mean. It's just that Rx is considered the easiest of the bunch.

Granted, on my Step 1, there were not any very difficult concepts (like the Receiver Operating Characterstic curves), but the wording was just very long and confusing.

You'd best tackle UWorld (and if you have the money and patience) and the Kaplan qbank as well.

Yes I have. A good starting point to get your feet wet, as well as to get some basic biostat concepts worked out in your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have. A good starting point to get your feet wet, as well as to get some basic biostat concepts worked out in your mind.

Considering Rx is "easier," what did you find most helpful to pack the punch on biostats / behavioral questions? Was Kaplan/UWorld good for you / sufficient or did you use an adjunct text as well? Thanks again,

I also felt that RX was easier... I would suggest reviewing biostats with HY Biostats and reviewing the behavioral section in FA before just diving into questions. UW questions were good prep once you understand the topics better