Biostats for Epi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jojo84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting my MPH-epi in the Fall, and was wondering how well prepared I am for my first Biostats course (I believe I will have to take only two courses). I've taken one course of statistics at the undergrad level, where we covered hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, and skimmed linear regression. The problem is, we did most of it by TI-83/4, and there was no calculus prerequisite for the course. I'm not sure whether it was the material that was easy or if it was the TI-83 that helped, but I managed to excel in that class. I have only taken two courses of college calculus (differential and integral)... and although I did very well I don't recall much from it! I also haven't taken any linear algebra/vector calc. Do I need of these to do well in biostats?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan on going into higher level biostats (beyond your basic requirement of the survey classes), linear algebra is critical (matrix algebra, specifically). However, you should be absolutely fine since you've already done statistics before. It should come back to you quickly.

If you plan on going into higher level biostats (beyond your basic requirement of the survey classes), linear algebra is critical (matrix algebra, specifically). However, you should be absolutely fine since you've already done statistics before. It should come back to you quickly.

I agree. Linear Algebra is HUGE in the (BIO)statistics field. As a non-Biostatistics major, your basic Biostats course probably won't be that difficult and you can probably get away without Linear Algebra.

Calculus will be important as well, for many BIOS courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info guys; much appreciated :) I'll study up my stats and calculus over the summer. But, since I'm striving for a PhD-Epi in the future, would it be a good idea to get a course of linear algebra down within the next... 3 years? ;)

Thanks for the info guys; much appreciated :) I'll study up my stats and calculus over the summer. But, since I'm striving for a PhD-Epi in the future, would it be a good idea to get a course of linear algebra down within the next... 3 years? ;)

A book that teaches you proper matrix algebra is probably sufficient :) Just make sure you TRULY understand it and do the exercises in the end of chapter. Any linear regression book should have a matrix algebra chapter.