Bit worried about step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onemoretime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just did Step 2 CS. In retrospect, I realize I made some mindless blunders. For example, for some reason or other, I only ever auscultated one area of the heart and rarely more than 4 pulmonary areas. Also, I forgot to ask some pretty important questions in certain key areas like an OB/GYN history when it was clearly indicated. Also, I did not always counsel patients if they had a bad habit like smoking. Has anyone had a similar experience yet passed?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Just did Step 2 CS. In retrospect, I realize I made some mindless blunders. For example, for some reason or other, I only ever auscultated one area of the heart and rarely more than 4 pulmonary areas. Also, I forgot to ask some pretty important questions in certain key areas like an OB/GYN history when it was clearly indicated. Also, I did not always counsel patients if they had a bad habit like smoking. Has anyone had a similar experience yet passed?

I also recently appeared in the usmle step-2cs test and have not yet got my results.
The things which u have missed are not that many so as to fail you.It is not a thing to worry about if your general approach to the patient has been nice and you showed proper interest in them,and tried to do as much as possibe ,then you will be okay.

But, Seniors in this forum can tell you much better than what I think.

i'm taking cs next month.

better questions is...... how did you prepare for cs?

did you practice asking all those questions and auscultating all the areas so that you got used to it?

freaked out and forgot at the last minute?

I prepared by reading First Aid. I did not specifically practice for it but I'd been seeing plenty of patients during my last two rotations (ED, Family). Admitedly even in real practice I do not always auscultate all 4 areas and sometimes I forget to ask certain questions, especially if either of these are not closely related to the chief complaint. During the CS, for whatever reason, I made the assumption that it was sufficient to listen to only one or at most two areas of the heart and not all lung fields. Ultimately, I guess the thing that has me worried is the uncertainty about how step 2 cs is graded; for example, will I get any credit for auscultating the heart if I only auscultated one or two areas? Any further insight and/or reassurance would be appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited: