Bits and bobs for different rotations.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Are there things specific to rotations I should carry? I'm asking because I don't want to borrow any more than I have to for the year. So far, I have a classic SE II and a used copy of pocket medicine.

I'm not talking about oto/ophthalmoscopes, I have no intention of buying them.

I hear the stethoscope doubles as a reflex hammer, but it's possible that it was a joke. I'll probably use my phone as a light.

Are there things specific to each of the core rotations that I should buy now, because I won't have the money later?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Are there things specific to rotations I should carry? I'm asking because I don't want to borrow any more than I have to for the year. So far, I have a classic SE II and a used copy of pocket medicine.

I'm not talking about oto/ophthalmoscopes, I have no intention of buying them.

I hear the stethoscope doubles as a reflex hammer, but it's possible that it was a joke. I'll probably use my phone as a light.

Are there things specific to each of the core rotations that I should buy now, because I won't have the money later?

Thanks.
IRL the stethoscope can do double duty but you'll need a reflex hammer, pen light and tuning fork for neuro exams done in the presence of staff or residents.

Ask around at your school since specific rotations vary.

Thanks :). I asked, and they all carried different things. We rotate with the same group of people, so if someone doesn't have something, someone else will.

I was mostly asking for something that would help set us apart, compared to other groups, like pocket medicine, which everyone else has anyway.

Maybe a card/cheat sheet, a caliper, I really don't know :) I expect these things would be specific to rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to what you've mentioned:

All rotations:
Copy of something to read pertinent to that rotation; often, this was just a printout of an article or review book. I think reading a piece of paper during downtime looks better than reading the same thing on a phone.
Source of BRIGHT light

Surgery:
Trauma shears for cutting dressings and anything else that needs cutting
BRIGHT penlight for 4am wound checks without turning on the overheads
Raid the closet for suture removal/staple removal kits, qtips, 4x4s, abd pads, etc. Whatever your team uses on rounds, have some. For YOUR patients, preset everything in the room before rounds
Printed articles and/or printed H&P for any cases I'm seeing that day
Granola bar x2

Medicine:
steth
pocket medicine
collapsible reflex hammer
512 hz tuning fork
1 review article for personal reading
1 article relevant to a patient to share or reference if called on

Peds:
Same as medicine plus:
stickers
switch out pocket medicine for a peds reference of your choice

Psych:
Nothing

ObGyn:
For surgical services, carry surgery stuff
For medical services carry medicine stuff
For L&D, carry a good book and a change of clothes

Family:
Same as medicine

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to what you've mentioned:

All rotations:
Copy of something to read pertinent to that rotation; often, this was just a printout of an article or review book. I think reading a piece of paper during downtime looks better than reading the same thing on a phone.
Source of BRIGHT light

Surgery:
Trauma shears for cutting dressings and anything else that needs cutting
BRIGHT penlight for 4am wound checks without turning on the overheads
Raid the closet for suture removal/staple removal kits, qtips, 4x4s, abd pads, etc. Whatever your team uses on rounds, have some. For YOUR patients, preset everything in the room before rounds
Printed articles and/or printed H&P for any cases I'm seeing that day
Granola bar x2

Medicine:
steth
pocket medicine
collapsible reflex hammer
512 hz tuning fork
1 review article for personal reading
1 article relevant to a patient to share or reference if called on

Peds:
Same as medicine plus:
stickers
switch out pocket medicine for a peds reference of your choice

Psych:
Nothing

ObGyn:
For surgical services, carry surgery stuff
For medical services carry medicine stuff
For L&D, carry a good book and a change of clothes

Family:
Same as medicine
wow. That's exactly what I was looking for, I'm glad I clarified. Thanks so much. If you think of anything else later, please add it

No problem! Only other thing I can think of offhand is to be observant and figure out what you can do to make life easier for your team. Ideally, your chief should never have to ask someone to get something because you've either already set it in the room or you're already handing it to him/her as it's asked. Every service will have it's own little quirky things. I did vascular surgery and we always needed to Doppler pulses that weren't palpable, so we always made sure a student was carrying it ahead of time and that we had plenty of gel in our pockets. I'd always carry a pair of gloves in my chief's size so they were ready if needed. This is all a bit overkill, but the basic idea is to quietly anticipate and carry whatever you and/or the team will need. Doing this kind of thing quietly is a great way to show interest and score points without being annoying. Getting done with rounds early makes everyone happy :)

No problem! Only other thing I can think of offhand is to be observant and figure out what you can do to make life easier for your team. Ideally, your chief should never have to ask someone to get something because you've either already set it in the room or you're already handing it to him/her as it's asked. Every service will have it's own little quirky things. I did vascular surgery and we always needed to Doppler pulses that weren't palpable, so we always made sure a student was carrying it ahead of time and that we had plenty of gel in our pockets. I'd always carry a pair of gloves in my chief's size so they were ready if needed. This is all a bit overkill, but the basic idea is to quietly anticipate and carry whatever you and/or the team will need. Doing this kind of thing quietly is a great way to show interest and score points without being annoying. Getting done with rounds early makes everyone happy :)
perfect!

Can honestly say that I never needed a tuning fork or reflex hammer outside of my dedicated neuro rotation. Outpatient rotations will have otoscopes mounted on the wall that you can use for a penlight (which tended to be the thing that was easiest to lose other than pens on the wards). The medicine residents and attendings used their stethoscopes to check reflexes. You can generally ask around and find out from classmates who have already done a rotation as to what to "stock up" with.

Keep a few alcohol wipes in your pocket....can be used to clean your steth between patients or after you let someone else borrow it, rub off tape marks on a patient, strip (i.e. declog) drains when on a surgery service, etc. Just is a good thing to have on hand that you can easily find around a hospital/clinic to re-stock your supplies.

Reactions: 1 users
Can honestly say that I never needed a tuning fork or reflex hammer outside of my dedicated neuro rotation. Outpatient rotations will have otoscopes mounted on the wall that you can use for a penlight (which tended to be the thing that was easiest to lose other than pens on the wards). The medicine residents and attendings used their stethoscopes to check reflexes. You can generally ask around and find out from classmates who have already done a rotation as to what to "stock up" with.

Keep a few alcohol wipes in your pocket....can be used to clean your steth between patients or after you let someone else borrow it, rub off tape marks on a patient, strip (i.e. declog) drains when on a surgery service, etc. Just is a good thing to have on hand that you can easily find around a hospital/clinic to re-stock your supplies.

Was I the only one who thought carrying around a couple guiac cards and a small developer in my lab coat handy for surgery? =X

Was I the only one who thought carrying around a couple guiac cards and a small developer in my lab coat handy for surgery? =X
I can only guess as to what a guaiac card is. No clue as to what a developer is.

No it's a great idea - apparently the developer is expensive and hard to find without getting it out from under lock and key.

Ditto on the alcohol wipes mentioned by Smurfette. I was actually praised by an attending when he saw me clean it off after use.

Members don't see this ad :)

As you might have learned from this thread, being a third year = being everyone elses b*tch. I personally could never bring myself to do some of this crap because, you know, I'm not paying money to be the resident's personal assistant. The whole "figure out what everyone needs by yourself and then get some every morning" instead of "tell me what you think we'll need this morning and I'll grab it" is just more of the read my mind BS of third year.

So yes, essentially, be able to read minds.

Reactions: 1 users
As you might have learned from this thread, being a third year = being everyone elses b*tch. I personally could never bring myself to do some of this crap because, you know, I'm not paying money to be the resident's personal assistant. The whole "figure out what everyone needs by yourself and then get some every morning" instead of "tell me what you think we'll need this morning and I'll grab it" is just more of the read my mind BS of third year.

So yes, essentially, be able to read minds.
Not exactly, but whatever. It's called getting clinical care done. The time for shadowing is over.

Not exactly, but whatever. It's called getting clinical care done. The time for shadowing is over.

Call it what you whatever you want. Like I said, I'm down with the "hey we'll probably need 4x4s, tegaderm, abd pads and paper tape, can you grab some for us in the morning?" vs "you didn't read our minds for what equipment we'll need every day and don't have every conceivable thing we should need on you person ready to slap into my hand? Pass"

You also have this weird habit of liking posts you disagree with. I'm not sure you know what the like feature means.

Call it what you whatever you want. Like I said, I'm down with the "hey we'll probably need 4x4s, tegaderm, abd pads and paper tape, can you grab some for us in the morning?" vs "you didn't read our minds for what equipment we'll need every day and don't have every conceivable thing we should need on you person ready to slap into my hand? Pass"

You also have this weird habit of liking posts you disagree with. I'm not sure you know what the like feature means.
I agreed with half your post.

I've never understood this absolute aversion to scut work and the not so subtle subtext of entitlement that comes with it. I saw it frequently but don't really understand it. Maybe I'm too old and it's a generational thing.

Third year is all about mindset. If you go in with the idea that you're paying and therefore entitled to be taught and above any menial work, then you'll be disappointed. If you view anticipating needs as having to read minds instead of learning how to care for patients, then you're going to feel disillusioned. You can decide how you want to look at things, and your decision will shape your year.

It may also shape the years to come. When you start m3, watch the interns. Many of them look terrified and lost, but a few are very comfortable and adapt quickly and easily to their new role. You'll know who these interns are because you will instinctively turn to them for help and they'll give it. Want to guess which group of interns had which attitude and outlook as students? When the nurses come to the workroom and ask what we're doing for mrs. Jones, it's the intern who spent the last two years anticipating needs and basically managing her own patients who steps up without having to call her upper level with a stupid question.

If your self image can't stand being someone's b---h and doing some scut here and there, then approach it all like a game. Do your scut with a fake but convincing smile and then ask to do more. Ask to get involved every chance you get. Come early, stay late. Read every chance you get. Don't take anything personally. Anticipate needs like a fine waiter or concierge - medicine is the ultimate service profession after all. No matter what, always stay in the circle - body language is huge. Come in with this attitude and people will want to help you and teach you and give you opportunities. They will welcome questions. You will learn a TON and crush shelf exams(assuming you study of course). You'll likely get all clinical honors. Through it all, remember that at its worst it's still better than second year and WAY better than a "real" job.

Reactions: 4 users
I've never understood this absolute aversion to scut work and the not so subtle subtext of entitlement that comes with it. I saw it frequently but don't really understand it. Maybe I'm too old and it's a generational thing.

Third year is all about mindset. If you go in with the idea that you're paying and therefore entitled to be taught and above any menial work, then you'll be disappointed. If you view anticipating needs as having to read minds instead of learning how to care for patients, then you're going to feel disillusioned. You can decide how you want to look at things, and your decision will shape your year.

It may also shape the years to come. When you start m3, watch the interns. Many of them look terrified and lost, but a few are very comfortable and adapt quickly and easily to their new role. You'll know who these interns are because you will instinctively turn to them for help and they'll give it. Want to guess which group of interns had which attitude and outlook as students? When the nurses come to the workroom and ask what we're doing for mrs. Jones, it's the intern who spent the last two years anticipating needs and basically managing her own patients who steps up without having to call her upper level with a stupid question.

If your self image can't stand being someone's b---h and doing some scut here and there, then approach it all like a game. Do your scut with a fake but convincing smile and then ask to do more. Ask to get involved every chance you get. Come early, stay late. Read every chance you get. Don't take anything personally. Anticipate needs like a fine waiter or concierge - medicine is the ultimate service profession after all. No matter what, always stay in the circle - body language is huge. Come in with this attitude and people will want to help you and teach you and give you opportunities. They will welcome questions. You will learn a TON and crush shelf exams(assuming you study of course). You'll likely get all clinical honors. Through it all, remember that at its worst it's still better than second year and WAY better than a "real" job.
I would take calm and control of MS-2 over the absolute ridiculousness of MS-3 anyday.

bravo! I hope we have someone like you teaching us this year.

Please don't use your f.cking phone as a light. It's not only rude but I mean how dumb do you look pulling that out instead of a 0.99 light?

I'm okay with work but there's a line drawn where any person with common sense knows it's just something insulting and not beneficial to the team or anyone but just for that persons amusement.

The idea that I'm paying only pertains to the idea that I should be able to dictate how I spend my time during training. Far more than anything; telling me to go to class or write an essay about feelings is not just insulting but stupid. This is where I suppose I'm entitled. But only in the sense that I'm an adult, not a child...

That last paragraph is too... rainbow and sunshine for me. I agree with everything you're saying at most.

No it's a great idea - apparently the developer is expensive and hard to find without getting it out from under lock and key.

Ditto on the alcohol wipes mentioned by Smurfette. I was actually praised by an attending when he saw me clean it off after use.

Yeah,
So, I carried around the doppler during OB/GYN and ended up taking the thing home with me and not realizing it. Not in the "I STOLE THIS!" but it became comfortable. I didn't realize it until one of my classmates saw it and asked why I had that. I was dumbfounded. This is why I try not to have these things in my pocket... Like when I was given the portable ultrasound to take to my attending, I immediately handed it to another student with the addendum "If I carry this, I'm going to inadvertently steal it and get kicked out for theft".

One more thing - carry alcohol wipes not just for sterility, but because it's really a damn good thing to wipe under your nose when you're walking into a patients room that smells like ****.

Please don't use your f.cking phone as a light. It's not only rude but I mean how dumb do you look pulling that out instead of a 0.99 light?

That last paragraph is too... rainbow and sunshine for me. I agree with everything you're saying at most.

Yeah,
So, I carried around the doppler during OB/GYN and ended up taking the thing home with me and not realizing it. Not in the "I STOLE THIS!" but it became comfortable. I didn't realize it until one of my classmates saw it and asked why I had that. I was dumbfounded. This is why I try not to have these things in my pocket... Like when I was given the portable ultrasound to take to my attending, I immediately handed it to another student with the addendum "If I carry this, I'm going to inadvertently steal it and get kicked out for theft".

One more thing - carry alcohol wipes not just for sterility, but because it's really a damn good thing to wipe under your nose when you're walking into a patients room that smells like ****.
Every little thing you carry adds bulk and makes other things more difficult to find. A phone is easy to locate and less likely to be 'borrowed'. The flashlight app probably provides better light than a .99 led. I do see your point, however. Thank you for your honest thoughts.

you shouldn't be fumbling with your phone in a patient's room. what's the point of washing your hands if you're going to take our arguably the dirtiest item in your pocket and touch it before touching them again?

Every little thing you carry adds bulk and makes other things more difficult to find. A phone is easy to locate and less likely to be 'borrowed'. The flashlight app probably provides better light than a .99 led. I do see your point, however. Thank you for your honest thoughts.

Pretty sure that penlight weighs significantly less than that phone. A penlight is easier to locate/use/find/etc. Phones are really just a faux pas in a patients room. Especially on rounds.

Pretty sure that penlight weighs significantly less than that phone. A penlight is easier to locate/use/find/etc. Phones are really just a faux pas in a patients room. Especially on rounds.
You don't carry a phone? I take my notes with evernote and reference online resources all the time.

Yea, but you shouldn't have your phone out in a patient's room literally ever.

You don't carry a phone? I take my notes with evernote and reference online resources all the time.

Actually,
I got a Galaxy Note 8 tablet with pen at the start of 3rd year. My phone is not with me on rounds or it's on quiet. The tablet has all that you speak of and it doesn't deter from rounding. I'd highly recommend getting one or Ipad Mini because no one believes that you're looking up references on a smart phone even if you are. They think you're texting.

Actually,
I got a Galaxy Note 8 tablet with pen at the start of 3rd year. My phone is not with me on rounds or it's on quiet. The tablet has all that you speak of and it doesn't deter from rounding. I'd highly recommend getting one or Ipad Mini because no one believes that you're looking up references on a smart phone even if you are. They think you're texting.
That's a fair point.

Actually,

Any time I'm in a clinical setting with my phone out, I feel like I'm texting, even when I'm not.

Any time I'm in a clinical setting with my phone out, I feel like I'm texting, even when I'm not.

Yeah I feel weird when I'm trying to look something up and the attending is looking at me even when they can see my screen