Bizarre chances question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oshkosh2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ms4 here who didn't enter the match this year after deciding to do a 1-year research gig in a different specialty. Looking back, ortho was the one rotation that really stuck with me. It took me a while to realize it but I'm not sure anything else compares.

I was wondering if it would be better to defer graduation for a year or do a sub-I at my home program over the next 6 weeks. This would be my only sub-I if I took this route. In talking with the program director at my school, I was told that this option is less desirable but still doable assuming I do a year of research (which I would plan to do).

My grades have been good (mostly Hs and HPs with an HP in surgery-- but good remarks and wrote me a LOR). Step 1 in the high 250s, step 2 of 270. Not an awkward person, etc.

I need to make my decision by the end of the week and wanted to see what others thought. At this point I'm almost like a blank slate -- no commitment to any other specialty.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you should delay graduation so that you go into the match as a US senior not a postgrad. Perhaps you could work something out with your school regarding tuition, etc, and you can get quality orthopedic research during your time off (you really only have till September/Early october = 6mo) to do research as well as your orthopedic rotation(s) and aways.

From a numbers standpoint, you're good to go obviously.