black hole in resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

econ2med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, after attempting and failing a DIY postbacc at my UC right after graduated, I sort of became lost and didn't do anything for a year(I worked in a restaurant). After this period of depression and confusion, I got on some meds pulled myself out and now have completed my EMT, I have a year-long volunteering stint at my city's hospital and participate in NPB research at the said UC.

After I eventually go back and retake those prerequisites, and potentially(god-willing) get an interview at a DO school(grade replacement!). How do I explain this year-long restaurant working-black hole?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean by black hole. Not everyone finds their way traditionally. Some people need to mature and others need to find motivation. Work experience is something most traditional students don't know about. Many go into med school / become doctors in a very closed system without much interaction outside of the "system." That is why so many doctors are clueless when it comes to the business / employee aspect of medicine (which is a business). I am sure you learned a thing or two from your work. I hate when people say "everything happens for a reason" but you can derive reason from everything that happens. Use your experiences good and bad to your advantage and use them to motivate you in the future. If you treat your year of work as a "black hole" it won't help you in your interviews or your future.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not sure what you mean by black hole. Not everyone finds their way traditionally. Some people need to mature and others need to find motivation. Work experience is something most traditional students don't know about. Many go into med school / become doctors in a very closed system without much interaction outside of the "system." That is why so many doctors are clueless when it comes to the business / employee aspect of medicine (which is a business). I am sure you learned a thing or two from your work. I hate when people say "everything happens for a reason" but you can derive reason from everything that happens. Use your experiences good and bad to your advantage and use them to motivate you in the future. If you treat your year of work as a "black hole" it won't help you in your interviews or your future.

Thank you for the advice.

You explain it EXACTLY like you've done so here, which is perfectly fine.

So, after attempting and failing a DIY postbacc at my UC right after graduated, I sort of became lost and didn't do anything for a year(I worked in a restaurant). After this period of depression and confusion, I got on some meds pulled myself out and now have completed my EMT, I have a year-long volunteering stint at my city's hospital and participate in NPB research at the said UC.

After I eventually go back and retake those prerequisites, and potentially(god-willing) get an interview at a DO school(grade replacement!). How do I explain this year-long restaurant working-black hole?

Reactions: 1 user