Black males and the sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At my friends MD graduation party his brothers, mother, and father all told me that they doubted he would ever be able to do it. They discouraged him every step of the way. Every test, every visit home, every conversation my friend had to deal with his family's insecurities. This is from a man who was raised in a two-parent home along with his whole friends being from two-parent homes. It's a matter of belief and the more men who ignore the naysayers and go for it, the more we will see, and believe.

I have been going through this since I decided to pursue medicine a few years ago. My mom still has her doubts and she is insecure for me. For some reason she prefers that I go into computers because that's all she knows of for black people to be successful with. My dad hasnt said much but I feel as though he wants me to fail. I have all this confidence that I clearly didnt get from them, which I think makes them a little bitter.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been going through this since I decided to pursue medicine a few years ago. My mom still has her doubts and she is insecure for me. For some reason she prefers that I go into computers because that's all she knows of for black people to be successful with. My dad hasnt said much but I feel as though he wants me to fail. I have all this confidence that I clearly didnt get from them, which I think makes them a little bitter.

Wow that sounds a lot like me. My Pops thinks that if I am not 4.0 at it then why do it? I explain to him my goals but he doesn't understand struggle and overcoming difficulties.

Interesting thread. As a black male, when I inform my friends of my decision, they look at me like I'm crazy and suggest Finance/Business instead. One told me I'd be an old man by the time I was done, when in fact I'll only be in my mid-to early 30s. :laugh: A few people in my family have even insinuated that I may not be intelligent enough to even finish. Besides my mother, not sure who will understand and support me, but I look forward to the journey, regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm African but you all are my brothers and sisters and I consider myself AA. I had the experience of living in the ghetto from elementary - junior high school before finally moving to a more "quiet" neighborhood. Reading through this thread, this is my first time on SDN that I've read / seen this and I almost want to cry.

Some of the things you guys are saying, if some of you guys were here on campus with me, my grades, confidence, and motivation would be astronomical. Sometimes I feel like I have no one to go to with some of my fears and concerns. Most of my friends are in accounting, business and accounting.

I brought up the fact that I'm African because my situation with family and parents are quite the opposite of what you are describing. With me it's more like pressure and support but mostly pressure from my folks to make it as an M.D. I've gotten off to a really bad start in college because I lacked some fundamentals which I need to learn. So I got really discouraged and even recently was considering switching majors or going into chiropractor since I want to be in the health field but all anyone tells me when they hear about my awful academics is, "good luck. it'll take a miracle" etc., etc., Do you know how many times I've been told I'm not cut out for med school? I've been feeling like an idiot and I know it's not true but if only you knew my situation....

Anyway it's good to hear there are people out there who haven't forgotten their roots since they got "up there". Wish some of you guys go to school with me. The forumer who was advocating for a mentorship program, I'll tell you right now, if such a program was to be created it would really help people out; at least speaking for myself. Most AA kids who got 4.0's rarely stop to "mentor" other AA kids with lower GPA's. It's almost like a "I'm too good for you", "you're not serious about school enough to hang out with me". There is this guy who's in the sciences with a really good GPA and he's an academic superstar on campus. This guy know's I'm also in the sciences but doesn't even bother to come by and ask, "how's classes, bro? need help?" or even words of encouragement / advice. It's rather a dude who's in political science with a low GPA but good ec's that's been mentoring me.

I'm African but you all are my brothers and sisters and I consider myself AA. I had the experience of living in the ghetto from elementary - junior high school before finally moving to a more "quiet" neighborhood. Reading through this thread, this is my first time on SDN that I've read / seen this and I almost want to cry.

Some of the things you guys are saying, if some of you guys were here on campus with me, my grades, confidence, and motivation would be astronomical. Sometimes I feel like I have no one to go to with some of my fears and concerns. Most of my friends are in accounting, business and accounting.

I brought up the fact that I'm African because my situation with family and parents are quite the opposite of what you are describing. With me it's more like pressure and support but mostly pressure from my folks to make it as an M.D. I've gotten off to a really bad start in college because I lacked some fundamentals which I need to learn. So I got really discouraged and even recently was considering switching majors or going into chiropractor since I want to be in the health field but all anyone tells me when they hear about my awful academics is, "good luck. it'll take a miracle" etc., etc., Do you know how many times I've been told I'm not cut out for med school? I've been feeling like an idiot and I know it's not true but if only you knew my situation....

Anyway it's good to hear there are people out there who haven't forgotten their roots since they got "up there". Wish some of you guys go to school with me. The forumer who was advocating for a mentorship program, I'll tell you right now, if such a program was to be created it would really help people out; at least speaking for myself. Most AA kids who got 4.0's rarely stop to "mentor" other AA kids with lower GPA's. It's almost like a "I'm too good for you", "you're not serious about school enough to hang out with me". There is this guy who's in the sciences with a really good GPA and he's an academic superstar on campus. This guy know's I'm also in the sciences but doesn't even bother to come by and ask, "how's classes, bro? need help?" or even words of encouragement / advice. It's rather a dude who's in political science with a low GPA but good ec's that's been mentoring me.
I tell you the truth man, I firmly believe that hard work can substitute for pure genius. Maybe the decision to work hard, is a stroke of genius..

Keep at it. Doors open. Walk thru them, or they will close.

If you're religious, keep prayin'. If you're not, find some other type of support (SOMEWHERE!) and keep workin'. Good things come to those who wait.

Better things come to those who watch and wait.

Btw, I'm a African too. The only black male in my class. I know the pain haha

I go to an all black all male school that has a large amount of premeds. I went on a medical school tour to the different UC medical schools in California two weeks ago and was surprised to learn that the Dean of the Medical School and Dean of Admissions at UCLA were both black males, however not a single one of their first year students were black males. The Dean of Admissions did not seem to be motivated at all in promoting diversity at the school as I was asking him questions on the matter. He did say that on average black males are just not smart enough to make the edge for admissions and after affirmative action was abolished in the state there basically is no rush for the recruitment of URMs while they would like to see more. I am not interested in applying there but I found it to be extremely valuable to meet with six of their black medical students and ask them questions and take tours.