Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't want to go off topic. Just making one statement. Watching Potomac rerun, dislike Karen and Charisse soooo much

I do too! They were doing too much for my liking

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I signed up for scribe america last year, the hospital that I was assigned to go to a interview for was about 20 miles away. Is there any other way instead of through ScribeAmerica? And next week I go to orientation for my volunteer position.
PhysAssist Scribes

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They don't have positions in Maryland, I guess its back to scribeamerica.

Lol almost. I had no experience at the time, unless you count volunteering... it would have been for this sophomore year, but location was too far for me. they also have less options than scribeamerica. I might be reapplying to scribe America though idk

Lol almost. I had no experience at the time, unless you count volunteering... it would have been for this sophomore year, but location was too far for me. they also have less options than scribeamerica. I might be reapplying to scribe America though idk
Yeah they have no scribe jobs in Maryland, so I'll stick to ScribeAmerica.

Hi guys!
Black female here. I attend an extremely PWI for undergrad, and I was looking for a different experience for med school. I got accepted to one of the HBCUs, but also a really good VERY WHITE school. I am having trouble making a decision.

Hi guys!
Black female here. I attend an extremely PWI for undergrad, and I was looking for a different experience for med school. I got accepted to one of the HBCUs, but also a really good VERY WHITE school. I am having trouble making a decision.
Go for the one that feels like it would be a good fit. Which one focuses on a specialty that you're thinking of doing? And which is less expensive?

Go for the one that feels like it would be a good fit. Which one focuses on a specialty that you're thinking of doing? And which is less expensive?
the white one is more expensive. And I did an internship there so I know everyone. But it's so many white ppl and so little black ppl and it's such a big class. Coming from a conservative PWI, I need the blacks people. For my health. Lmao

Reactions: 1 users
The white one? So little white people? Girl it's white people everywhere. The majority of the WORLD is white. You have to deal with it. I do understand your need for being around people more like you, don't we all.

Members don't see this ad :)
The white one? So little white people? Girl it's white people everywhere. The majority of the WORLD is white. You have to deal with it. I do understand your need for being around people more like you, don't we all.

#wellactually the majority of the world is Asian, followed not closely by Africans.

Reactions: 3 users
If I can choose the kind of ppl around me while I partake in the hardest 4 years of my life, I will :)

If I can choose the kind of ppl around me while I partake in the hardest 4 years of my life, I will :)
Choose the HBCU then. Cheaper, and you'll grow.I was reading a book I think it's called Between the World and Me. He spoke about his HBCU with such love, and referred to it as "The Mecca." Made me wish I went to an HBCU for undergrad.

Lol hey!
What year are you, and are you taking a gap year?

Hey! I'm currently on a gap year. I graduated last year. Have a few acceptances but I haven't made a final decision yet.

But what have if whites and Africans live in Asia somewhere. Also Southern Africa is populated by whites. And yes I forgot India was apart of Asia and also a high occupant country. So many factors.

Some of my bookmarked pages

Summer Research Program at Rutgers U
http://www.ihhcpar.rutgers.edu/projectlearn/howtoapply.asp

Volunteer to build a home in South Carolina, New Orleans, New Jersey and much more
http://www.stbernardproject.org/volunteer.html

Easy 500-1000 words essay(When you look back on your life in 30 years, what would it take for you to consider your life successful? What relationships or accomplishments will be important on this journey?) scholarship
http://www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm

Interview Preparation(Med School)
http://ocs.fas.harvard.edu/medical-interview

Medical School Admissions Navigation Tips: Is My Profile Competitive?
http://blog.accepted.com/2014/06/11...ns-navigation-tips-is-my-profile-competitive/

AA female checking in, currently "third" year at a PWI in SC. Nervous as heck to take the MCAT after I graduate. Any SC natives here?

Oucwwwhhhh, dropping knowledge.

But what have if whites and Africans live in Asia somewhere. Also Southern Africa is populated by whites. And yes I forgot India was apart of Asia and also a high occupant country. So many factors.

I wasn't trying to be rude! At my university many people talked bad about a particular HBCU, and it got under my skin. We're all friends here :)

Most Asian countries are largely homogeneous. South Africa has the largest population of whites in Africa, and it's still less than 10%. Many people believe that there are more whites than blacks there, and that they 'civilized' the Africans. Which obviously isn't true. There are more than enough non black people in this country that you'll be alright if you go to an HBCU for undergrad or medical school.

I wasn't trying to be rude! At my university many people talked bad about a particular HBCU, and it got under my skin. We're all friends here :)

Most Asian countries are largely homogeneous. South Africa has the largest population of whites in Africa, and it's still less than 10%. Many people believe that there are more whites than blacks there, and that they 'civilized' the Africans. Which obviously isn't true. There are more than enough non black people in this country that you'll be alright if you go to an HBCU for undergrad or medical school.

Great response!

I just want a different experience for medical school. I have had some bad experiences during my education at a conservative PWI. Looking around the room and being the only black person raises so many insecurities...

@steeeeveo I think you're hilarious lol that one meme you posted when that Turkish guy asked if he was a URM xD

Is anyone else here applying to SMDEP? I finished my app, and find out results Feb 15 :X it's my last year I'm eligible to apply. But for any other sophomores/freshmen the final deadline for the second half of acceptances is March

I chose three sites: Yale, Columbia, and Howard. If j don't get into any of those, hopefully my other two programs will accept me

I just want a different experience for medical school. I have had some bad experiences during my education at a conservative PWI. Looking around the room and being the only black person raises so many insecurities...

You definitely want to be in an environment where you will feel supported, and will thrive. But as a future medical professional, there are going to be lots of times when you are the only black person in the room. I'm currently one of only two Black attendings at my campus. I'm going to a couple of conferences this spring and fully expect to be the only Black person at a few of the sessions. In short, you won't ever be able to fully avoid it. There's no reason for that to make you feel insecure- wherever you end up, it'll be because you deserve to be there.

Reactions: 6 users
You definitely want to be in an environment where you will feel supported, and will thrive. But as a future medical professional, there are going to be lots of times when you are the only black person in the room. I'm currently one of only two Black attendings at my campus. I'm going to a couple of conferences this spring and fully expect to be the only Black person at a few of the sessions. In short, you won't ever be able to fully avoid it. There's no reason for that to make you feel insecure- wherever you end up, it'll be because you deserve to be there.

I completely understand that. But during my education, I feel it's a little different.

And it doesn't make me feel insecure because I feel I don't deserve it. It's just an unsettling feeling.

Off topic. Don't respond. Loved housewives of Atlanta tonight! The old Nene's back. Not acting arrogant and crazy , just fun. Sheree and her are friends again. Loving it! Ok that's it. Goodnight

I completely understand that. But during my education, I feel it's a little different.

And it doesn't make me feel insecure because I feel I don't deserve it. It's just an unsettling feeling.

Know exactly what you mean. Went to a PWI for undergrad and its not the same as going to a school where you feel completely supported and accepted. Often felt somewhat out of place and/or looked-over... at times even downright discriminated against. Interviewed at PWI med schools and HBCU med schools and the difference is clear. Of course there will be diversity in the real world but going to an HBCU med school doesn't mean you are not preparing for the real world at all, it just means your support system system is built differently. Apply to both types of schools and see for yourself before making a decision.

Understood. Everyone has different needs. HBCUs were not for me, but I can understand the appeal. I was just hoping you weren't feeling insecure because you thought you weren't good enough.

Hi guys!

Few things to consider:
1. What type of support does the non-HBCU school offer to students of color? Is the diversity coordinator present and actually someone the current students of color feel comfortable reaching out to?

2. Which school would you be happiest at? Second Look may give you a better idea.

3. Does location matter? Family support nearby? Have either of the schools offered scholarships?

4. What are your ultimate goals? Do you want to work in an underserved area? Which one offers the best resources so that you can attain these goals?

I wish you the best, and congrats on your multiple acceptances.

I love the fact when I'm the only black person in the room. This have little to do with I grw up in Jamaica where all i saw was black people so I find it refreshing socializing with White, Asian and Latina women . Plus when im the only black guy in the room im on my top game because for some strange reason I feel I got to represent !

I love the fact when I'm the only black person in the room. This have little to do with I grw up in Jamaica where all i saw was black people so I find it refreshing socializing with White, Asian and Latina women . Plus when im the only black guy in the room im on my top game because for some strange reason I feel I got to represent !
I actually love that feeling. I don't feel secluded, sometimes I kind of seclude myself because that's what I choose to do. But for the most part I love interacting with other ethinicities and being the only black person in there makes me feel good. And just because I'm light, doesn't mean my hair isn't all over the place. If I straightened my hair, I would blend right in.

That's great! What's the center going to entail?

It's a make it your own as you go kind of process right now. We're looking at making the center open for everyone, enforcing safe space agreements, and holding anti-oppression trainings and events throughout the semester.

Few things to consider:
1. What type of support does the non-HBCU school offer to students of color? Is the diversity coordinator present and actually someone the current students of color feel comfortable reaching out to?

2. Which school would you be happiest at? Second Look may give you a better idea.

3. Does location matter? Family support nearby? Have either of the schools offered scholarships?

4. What are your ultimate goals? Do you want to work in an underserved area? Which one offers the best resources so that you can attain these goals?

I wish you the best, and congrats on your multiple acceptances.

Thank you! Both schools have a underserved oriented mission, which is perfect for me. The non HBCU is very socially aware, and has great diversity support! But it's super far(mid west and I'm from the south), and the HBCU Offered me a scholarship.

And it's not that I don't like interacting with people of other ethnicities...I just want a different experience and being around ppl that look like you and that understand you in a field dominated by white people provides a certain comfort. For instance, Ferguson. My PWI was HELL during that time. I felt uncomfortable because there would be discussions in class demonizing Mike Brown while there I am, the only black girl disagreeing, expected to speak for all black people.
Obviously I'm going to be around all types of people once I practice, but there's nothing wrong with a sense of cultural support during my educational training. I've gone on many interviews, many HBCU and many PWI, and the overall feel is different.

@steeeeveo I think you're hilarious lol that one meme you posted when that Turkish guy asked if he was a URM xD

Is anyone else here applying to SMDEP? I finished my app, and find out results Feb 15 :X it's my last year I'm eligible to apply. But for any other sophomores/freshmen the final deadline for the second half of acceptances is March

I chose three sites: Yale, Columbia, and Howard. If j don't get into any of those, hopefully my other two programs will accept me

SMDEP at Yale is amazing. Such a great, highly informative experience. I'll be rooting for ya!

Hi guys!

Yea I'm the opposite..I'm looking to "reintegrate" myself haha. I think going to an HBCU will give you a holistic perspective on things since you've have the PWI experience. Also, you can still get into a reasonable and respected residency which is the primary goal.

Happy Black History Month! I think it'd be nice if someone, at least one person a day, highlighted black excellence!
Also, found this great informative video from buzzfeed for people who ask why there isn't a white history month

Reactions: 4 users

Ha, thanks! Just trying to liven the mood in here. I'm just sitting here hoping these med schools show me (and the rest of us) love. Especially the HBCUs.

Happy Black History Month! I think it'd be nice if someone, at least one person a day, highlighted black excellence!
Also, found this great informative video from buzzfeed for people who ask why there isn't a white history month

Thats stupid, there is white History month , they are 12 of them in a year ... jk jk