Black premeds/doctors around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People do this?
:smack:

People ask "why don't we say All Lives Matter?" And whenever you bring up race, people ask "why do you have to bring race into it?"

Most things have to deal with race. Also, don't get me started on the BLM "campaign". Stacey Dash said some reprehensible things as well.

This black girl I know said "African American history started at slavery". Black history month will always lead to people saying things like this. It's the nature of the beast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Im studying extra hard for my MCAT because I dont want to live outside NYC. I'm willing to go DO instead of MD to stay here.. Down State , albert einstein college of medicine come on!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Im studying extra hard for my MCAT because I dont want to live outside NYC. I'm willing to go DO instead of MD to stay here.. Down State , albert einstein college of medicine come on!

Good luck!! But re: bolded, don't do that. Especially because when it comes to where you end up, it's usually residency that counts. And NYC is quite DO unfriendly from what I understand. So if you must move for some part of your training, you want it to be med school.

You're probably just kidding/exaggerating but as one of the old heads of this thread I wasn't going to let that slide by.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck!! But re: bolded, don't do that. Especially because when it comes to where you end up, it's usually residency that counts. And NYC is quite DO unfriendly from what I understand. So if you must move for some part of your training, you want it to be med school.

You're probably just kidding/exaggerating but as one of the old heads of this thread I wasn't going to let that slide by.
Yeah I am kidding, I just love this City and reluctant to go anywhere else. But I already told myself wherever I get in the USA I will go . I Would like to apply to the surrounding area though because I barely can afford the application & MCAT much less a plane ticket to interview. So Boston, Pennsylvania, New Jersey (heavy IS preference which i dont have) is in my sights but after my MCAT and investment in MSAR I will assets my standing. Hoping on FAP as well

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I am kidding, I just love this City and reluctant to go anywhere else. But I already told myself wherever I get in the USA I will go . I Would like to apply to the surrounding area though because I barely can afford the application & MCAT much less a plane ticket to interview. So Boston, Pennsylvania, New Jersey (heavy IS preference which i dont have) is in my sights but after my MCAT and investment in MSAR I will assets my standing. Hoping on FAP as well
Your GPA is high. You'll most likely get in around the surrounding area; but at the very least definitely MD

Reactions: 1 user
Why does NY have such crappy In State preference?? Is it because they are so many private medical schools ??

Why does NY have such crappy In State preference?? Is it because they are so many private medical schools ??
They hate us. They should be like Stanford and UCLA and accept their own xD

They hate us. They should be like Stanford and UCLA and accept their own xD
The only Ca schools that have an IS preference are UCR and UCD :(

Because it's New York and they have to maintain their elitist air, producing the finest professionals in medical care and research and unfortunately, a lot of your state residents don't fit the bill ;)

Because it's New York and they have to maintain their elitist air, producing the finest professionals in medical care and research and unfortunately, a lot of your state residents don't fit the bill ;)

I am a NYS state resident from one of the 5 boroughs :). I got 4 interviews in NY :). They love me :D. I want them to be infatuated with my awesomeness!

Do good on the MCAT. Get FAP. Apply early, and PRAY :)

Here are some medical recruitment fairs coming up
AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair- 2/4/16 Please type in google and register
Columbia Medical School Fair- 2/19/2016 Please type in google or reach out to Columbia to register

If you are in NY, you have an obligation to go to these things. How can you get chosen, if you don't put yourself in situation to get chose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some medical recruitment fairs coming up
AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair- 2/4/16 Please type in google and register
Columbia Medical School Fair- 2/19/2016 Please type in google or reach out to Columbia to register

If you are in NY, you have an obligation to go to these things. How can you get chosen, if you don't put yourself in situation to get chose.

https://www.aamcmedschoolfair.com/

Well that was fast, I will be working and volunteering next week and I also have to register for late start classes. Maybe I'll take Women Studies and some other easy class because more difficult classes takes the whole semester(well obviously).

I am a NYS state resident from one of the 5 boroughs :). I got 4 interviews in NY :). They love me :D. I want them to be infatuated with my awesomeness!

Do good on the MCAT. Get FAP. Apply early, and PRAY :)

Well obviously, I'm not referring to you haha :D

Well that was fast, I will be working and volunteering next week and I also have to register for late start classes. Maybe I'll take Women Studies and some other easy class because more difficult classes takes the whole semester(well obviously).
If you're only taking one class, then a harder class is doable. You don't have to worry about juggling other classes with it.

Black history month will always lead to people saying things like this. It's the nature of the beast.

I truly believe some people get some sort of twisted enjoyment out of saying these things during black history month.
There really is no other explanation, imo.

Okay personal question time, especially those from Jamaica/the Caribbean. We all know how our beautiful country has sever issues when it comes to dealing with individuals that identify with LBGTQ. Do you worry that this may affect your abilities to be a caring doctor ??? I was lucky enough that after I left Jamaica and came to the US I attend a school that had a huge LBGTQ population and this made me grow as a person . I never hated anyone but the indoctrination that happens in the Caribbean is strong, I still feel kinda weird around people who identify as Transsexual and wonder if I should do volunteer work with that community to understand them more . But I kinda feel that would be a selfish undertaking volunteering for self benefit ... I am aware of my biases but trying to see how I can overcome them , sorry for my rant

Okay personal question time, especially those from Jamaica/the Caribbean. We all know how our beautiful country has sever issues when it comes to dealing with individuals that identify with LBGTQ. Do you worry that this may affect your abilities to be a caring doctor ??? I was lucky enough that after I left Jamaica and came to the US I attend a school that had a huge LBGTQ population and this made me grow as a person . I never hated anyone but the indoctrination that happens in the Caribbean is strong, I still feel kinda weird around people who identify as Transsexual and wonder if I should do volunteer work with that community to understand them more . But I kinda feel that would be a selfish undertaking volunteering for self benefit ... I am aware of my biases but trying to see how I can overcome them , sorry for my rant
My school is basically all LGBTQ, my roommate is bi, she almost dated a transman. So you get used to it. It's still kind of uncomfortable when dealing with trans people who don't physically fit their birth gender, but at the end of the day it's their life.

I feel like volunteering for the LGBTQ community as someone who isn't part of their community and doesn't know about their struggles is akin to a white person going to Africa to build a school, and taking pictures with all the locals to show how caring and compassionate they are. So you probably shouldn't do it lol. If your goal is to understand them, go to forums and try to learn more. I went to my school's LGBTQ HQ and asked them a bunch of stupid (to me) questions, but they're always fine with answering and helping to teach. When it comes to the LGBTQ community, keep in mind that we have to listen to them about their problems the same way we want white people to listen and try to understand ours.

Guys, please take the time to read and analyze my dilemma. I'm contemplating whether I should work two part time jobs and go to college part-time only(2 classes) and volunteer. I already have Job #1 but didn't start yet, they said I was the perfect candidate and what not.
Here is how my schedule will be looking.

Job #1 is 16-24 hours a week the shifts can vary from 6 or 8 hours a day for 2-4 days/week (so confusing and unflexible) They say Sundays is a must, but here's the killer...it's overnight meaning I'll be working up until 6AM(which I really don't mind) Oh and did I mention good pay, not that good but reasonable and more than I was making at my summer job.

Job #2 Have an interview next week so I'm not sure if I'll get it anyways. This job is 15-29 hrs/week. And my work will end at 8PM, it is perfect(the timing that is), but the pay is minimum wage, but again the hours are perfect and by that being perfect I can go to school full time in the summer.

The thing is, I already have job #1, what would have been better is if I had job #2 in the first place, then I wouldn't even worry about job #1.

I volunteer on Mondays for one hour from 10AM-11AM(easy peasy nothing to complain about) and the hours doesn't merge into any of the jobs.

What should I do? My only option is to lie and tell the job that my school hours merge into work hours on certain days( I'll lie and say Tuesday and Thursday because that's typical college class days) or just quit job #1 right before summer classes in which I'll be working full-time. I hope this doesn't confuse anyone. And also I have to see those days I'll be working at job#1 I now for sure they said I have to be at work on Sundays.

Last edited:
Black, just black american no country origin that I can trace back in my ancestry, just plain old african american.
Me. Lol. People are in shock when I give that answer. I don't know why. It seems strange when other blacks ask where my family is from and I say" here". ( slave ship to Virginia , that's it, no stops ). Wish I could give a more exciting answer but that's it.(where I live most blacks are Caribbean )

Last edited:
Me. Lol. People are in shock when I give that answer. I don't know why. It seems strange when other blacks ask where my family is from and I say" here". ( slave ship to Virginia , that's it, no stops ). Wish I could give a more exciting answer but that's it.(where I live most blacks are Caribbean )
I admit I did that too. I wouldn't understand when people said "here," but they aren't able to trace their backgrounds since poor records were purposely kept

Well , technically we are all African but when the slave ship stopped in Jamaica, Haiti , etc, my family's ship came straight here. Thus I can't claim anywhere else. Just southern black , lol. That's someone else's equivalent to saying ""Haitian" etc. Someone from Jamaica doesn't say they're African , they say they're Jamaican. That's why I say " American black". So instead of saying my family is from Kingston ,Jamaica, I say my family is from Virginia. I'm African/ American

Last edited:

You sound like me. Dying to get back to NYC. I have a 514 and 3.4. Banking on the MCAT being my saving grace! If not NYC then definitely philly, maybe DC, and blah to Boston.

You sound like me. Dying to get back to NYC. I have a 514 and 3.4. Banking on the MCAT being my saving grace! If not NYC then definitely philly, maybe DC, and blah to Boston.
Great mcat score already. Some school in NYC should take you

I wrote this whole TL;DR post for @Chelsea FC and as I hit the "post reply" button, I was prompted to log in again with NO POSTED REPLY.
Something told me to ctrl+c... I don't even.

Anyway, I basically said don't volunteer for a better understanding of trans people. You are not fully comfortable around them and it might do more harm than good to your mental psyche. Just continue to be accepting of their lifestyle, educate yourself through research online and forum communities (+1 @AlphaBeta<3), and keep on keepin' on.

Guys, please take the time to read and analyze my dilemma. I'm contemplating whether I should work two part time jobs and go to college part-time only(2 classes) and volunteer. I already have Job #1 but didn't start yet, they said I was the perfect candidate and what not.
Here is how my schedule will be looking.

Job #1 is 16-24 hours a week the shifts can vary from 6 or 8 hours a day for 2-4 days/week (so confusing and unflexible) They say Sundays is a must, but here's the killer...it's overnight meaning I'll be working up until 6AM(which I really don't mind) Oh and did I mention good pay, not that good but reasonable and more than I was making at my summer job.

Job #2 Have an interview next week so I'm not sure if I'll get it anyways. This job is 15-29 hrs/week. And my work will end at 8PM, it is perfect(the timing that is), but the pay is minimum wage, but again the hours are perfect and by that being perfect I can go to school full time in the summer.

The thing is, I already have job #1, what would have been better is if I had job #2 in the first place, then I wouldn't even worry about job #1.

I volunteer on Mondays for one hour from 10AM-11AM(easy peasy nothing to complain about) and the hours doesn't merge into any of the jobs.

What should I do? My only option is to lie and tell the job that my school hours merge into work hours on certain days( I'll lie and say Tuesday and Thursday because that's typical college class days) or just quit job #1 right before summer classes in which I'll be working full-time. I hope this doesn't confuse anyone. And also I have to see those days I'll be working at job#1 I now for sure they said I have to be at work on Sundays.

Consider me confused.

However, I think that you should just wait until after you interview at job #2 to make any further decisions. Because if I'm understanding your post correctly, you will still have to work at job #1 if you don't get job #2 and go to school in the summer, which seems more than manageable to me with 2 classes and 1 hour of volunteering a week.

Consider me confused.

However, I think that you should just wait until after you interview at job #2 to make any further decisions. Because if I'm understanding your post correctly, you will still have to work at job #1 if you don't get job #2 and go to school in the summer, which seems more than manageable to me with 2 classes and 1 hour of volunteering a week.
Yes, I already have Job#1 and I interview at Job #2 this Wenesday. Here's my schedule for this week.
Monday// Job #1 12AM-6AM then Volunteer 10AM-11AM and next month I'll have class on this day at 1pm-3:55PM
Tues// Job #2 3PM-8PM(if I get it)
Wednesday// Job #1 12AM-8AM(if I get it), class 1PM-3:55PM
Thurdays//Job #2 3PM-8PM(if I get it)
Friday//Job #2 3PM-8PM(if I get it)
Sat// Job #1 12AM-6AM
Sun// I think these are off days for both jobs.

Son, you're good! 514 is a shoe in for most medical schools, lol
I got below that and gotten 7 interviews with a late submissions of my primary (October). If I got a 514, siht* I would literally send them my thank you letter for accepting me w/o an interview, lol

Son, you're good! 514 is a shoe in for most medical schools, lol
I got below that and gotten 7 interviews with a late submissions of my primary (October). If I got a 514, siht* I would literally send them my thank you letter for accepting me w/o an interview, lol

Congrats on all that interview love, hopefully I will be as successful as you this coming cycle :)

Congrats on all that interview love, hopefully I will be as successful as you this coming cycle :)

You're going to do so much better! If I had applied earlier I probably would have gotten more interviews. I am still waiting on a couple more schools. I submitted my letter update, so we shall see the outcome.

Is that a cocaine molecule in your profile picture? I can't figure it out! I guess my chem degree is useless, lol

You're going to do so much better! If I had applied earlier I probably would have gotten more interviews. I am still waiting on a couple more schools. I submitted my letter update, so we shall see the outcome.

Is that a cocaine molecule in your profile picture? I can't figure it out! I guess my chem degree is useless, lol

When did you submit?

What's your top choice out of all your interviews?

LOL it's serotonin! Space filling models are weird haha

When did you submit?

What's your top choice out of all your interviews?

LOL it's serotonin! Space filling models are weird haha

Rochester! But I have more coming up, so that may change. I submitted my primary October, and submitted all of my secondaries late-October to mid-November.

We now all know who is a drug addict

o_O -_-
Not even, lol
I am drug free.

Your candor is great.
As best practice, I would learn and then volunteer (to minimize most of the basic missteps). There are really great resources for those who are willing to learn. If you want a crash course then "Not Your Mom's Trans 101" is helpful. If that is a bit much once you get into it, then any Trans 101 by GLAAD or the HRC or someone similar would do well for the beginning stages. My personal opinion is that physicians should be really honest with themselves regarding where they are lacking in cultural competency and strive to fix it (because we all have something.)
If you have any questions re: resources or LGBTQ+ (especially in regard to healthcare) then feel free to PM.

P.S.- The standard reference to trans people is either "trans" or "transgender" (used as an adjective). Transsexual applies to those who have undergone sex affirmation surgery and is generally not, even in that case, preferred over the alternatives.

Last edited:
Job #1 is the easiest job ever, but I have to get used to overnight, working 6-8hr shifts three days a week, and being the only female there. It's like guys don't know how to act when a new person comes in, yet alone a female. I was kind of creeped out by one guy, but I will not let that run me out work plu everyone stays to themselves, listen to music and work, but this guy had to "train" me even though I have experience in this job. I honestly don't plan on staying at job#1 past June. Staying at for a few months can be bad but at least it's something. I have a interview on Wednesday at job #2. Hopefully I can get that job because the hours are good and I need the $$$, I plan in staying there until I transfer, so I'll be there for a minute. I went home around 6AM slept for three hours, then went to volunteer for an hour. It was fun tutoring. I'm sorry but I just took a Zzz Quil so I don't have insomnia.

@dreamadream Hopefully everything works out :)
There will always be that creepy guy or girl in a new environment. Everyone else has ignored them or accepted their advances so they will always jump to the new person. Just keep shutting him down and eventually it should stop, if not, then I'm sure you know what to do in that situation.

Edit: I have officially decided to change my major from Psychology to Health Sciences...
It has to be done :( I was really looking forward to joining Psi Chi this semester. I wish my school offered a minor in Psychology. Then again, I can always just take some psych electives and call it a day :laugh:

Last edited:
Do y'all ever get tired of discussing race relations sometimes? And this is a serious question.

I really do care about everything that's going on but I'm tired, y'all....

Do y'all ever get tired of discussing race relations sometimes? And this is a serious question.

Not really. I have generally moved on from low-yield discussions like forum arguments here. But in situations where it's not an utter waste of time and energy, I never truly get tired of it.

I know exactly how you feel. I'll forever fight against social injustice but it's definitely tiring. Also hard on your mental health. Sometimes I'll take a week to keep my mind off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I know exactly how you feel. I'll forever fight against social injustice but it's definitely tiring. Also hard on your mental health. Sometimes I'll take a week to keep my mind off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
which is why I closed my thread