Block Imaging OEC9800....broken on delivery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctodd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

So i bought a used mint "as-is" late 2004 model year OEC9800 in December 2015....professionally packed and delivered. The diesel truck of c-arms. I asked and received an iphone youtube video of the unit which didnt show anything that i could notice. It was from far away and the boot up screen was not visible. Their inspection reveals no issues. Block Imaging calls and tries one last time to sell me the warranty...i decline because the unit seems to be in MINT condition with very low hours. Everything seemed to look fine. No issues when the moving truck unpacks it as i am there helping. Upon first power up i get "collimator error" on the c-arm screen. Pushing any button clears the error and it works fine, but no collimator function. I had an ex-GE tech check it the next day, took it apart, and he said the collimator motor was not kicking in, but after he put it back together it did work without error. He says it is impossible for the collimator to be damaged in transit, which is what Block Imaging stated. Next time i power up a few days later and the collimator error is back, and it hasnt worked/changed since.

Checking the iphone youtube video again and i notice at the 2 minute mark the tech presses something on the c-arm screen, and glances at the camera in "an unusual" way. There is no reason to press anything prior to taking an image. Probably because you cant take an image unless you clear the collimator error. I offer to pay my tech to do the install if Block swaps the collimator for me, thinking it may be something easy to fix. They want $3800. I decline. I suggest they give it to me at cost, but they refuse. Block Imaging is refusing to take responsibility even though the video clearly shows something afoul.....it seems as if they knew the unit was broken and did not disclose it based on the video. Buyer beware when dealing with Block Imaging. I repeatedly asked them to rectify this situation by paying for the part they knew was broken. They have refused. Penny foolish for a part worth only a few hundred/a thousand dollars

Members don't see this ad.

So i bought a used mint "as-is" late 2004 model year OEC9800 in December 2015....professionally packed and delivered. The diesel truck of c-arms. I asked and received an iphone youtube video of the unit which didnt show anything that i could notice. It was from far away and the boot up screen was not visible. Their inspection reveals no issues. Block Imaging calls and tries one last time to sell me the warranty...i decline because the unit seems to be in MINT condition with very low hours. Everything seemed to look fine. No issues when the moving truck unpacks it as i am there helping. Upon first power up i get "collimator error" on the c-arm screen. Pushing any button clears the error and it works fine, but no collimator function. I had an ex-GE tech check it the next day, took it apart, and he said the collimator motor was not kicking in, but after he put it back together it did work without error. He says it is impossible for the collimator to be damaged in transit, which is what Block Imaging stated. Next time i power up a few days later and the collimator error is back, and it hasnt worked/changed since.

Checking the iphone youtube video again and i notice at the 2 minute mark the tech presses something on the c-arm screen, and glances at the camera in "an unusual" way. There is no reason to press anything prior to taking an image. Probably because you cant take an image unless you clear the collimator error. I offer to pay my tech to do the install if Block swaps the collimator for me, thinking it may be something easy to fix. They want $3800. I decline. I suggest they give it to me at cost, but they refuse. Block Imaging is refusing to take responsibility even though the video clearly shows something afoul.....it seems as if they knew the unit was broken and did not disclose it based on the video. Buyer beware when dealing with Block Imaging. I repeatedly asked them to rectify this situation by paying for the part they knew was broken. They have refused. Penny foolish for a part worth only a few hundred/a thousand dollars

It looks to me like collimation is successfully demonstrated at 3:30-3:40...

Sure does look like it....ill check tmrw....and remove foot from my mouth now.

Btw I didn't repost this thread on this forum. The mods did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure does look like it....ill check tmrw....and remove foot from my mouth now.

Btw I didn't repost this thread on this forum. The mods did.
In a way it's worse: the video implies the collimation works when it does not reliably work. I would not consider buying from this company based on your experience, unless they make good on this issue.

Dr. ____,

In response to your comments. First off, thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Our aim in serving customers is to be as creative as any in providing great value for exactly what you want and need. Part of this is extending different offerings on refurbishment, delivery, installation and service support.

In response to the public defamation of character, we felt it appropriate to tender a public response and humbly request the opportunity for a respectful conversation in pursuit of an amicable resolution.

During the proposal process (on 10-20-16), Block Imaging presented an option including a full warranty including glassware for $64,500. At your insistence, the preference was to purchase a unit at a significantly reduced price to not include refurbishment or warranty. In an effort to extend at minimum, a base level of quality for your new system, we insisted on doing full calibrations on the machine. On 12/4/15, you chose to opt out of this calibration. We’re sorry to hear about the issue you are having with the system. While we could not have been more clear on the risk of avoiding quality support services, it appears that our error was completing a transaction to accommodate a budget that is below the market in exchange for the services necessary to provide what you actually needed.

In closing, despite your strong and public accusations, our desire is to act with integrity and live up to our commitments. It would be our pleasure to work to resolve the situation should you desire to do so.

We stand ready to serve you and help set you up for success using this C-Arm for years to come.

Respectfully,

Josh Block
President
Block Imaging

Last edited by a moderator:
I object to the defamation of character accusation. The facts are that the machine arrived with a broken collimator. I sure didn't break it. We disagree in the cause of this. Regardless, the issue stands. That being said, I have already had the amicable conversation you requested, which did not reach a resolution. That led me to post my experience and my perspective of events. That you offered warranty and calibration is not necessarily relevant to the problem. Would calibration have prevented my collimator error? As the CEO, if you wish to be proactive and send me the part at cost instead of a profit, which your company has already declined to do, I accept your proposal. I think that would do more to promote your company and benefit your public reputation than any words that you post.

Last edited:
I await your response to the dialogue you have requested. If you could, also extrapolate how calibration would have prevented the problem in question.....as you suggested.

Dr. –

Thank you kindly for your reply.

My concern here is the inability to confirm the actual issue with the system. A proper and thorough diagnosis is critical in bringing a system to full functionality.

I will write under separate cover to your personal email with my suggested resolution and offer.

Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you.

Respectfully,

Josh

FWIW, you cant deliver a broken machine, then blame the consumer that they didn't pay enough. implicit in the purchase is a functional machine, unless clearly stated otherwise. im sure doctodd didn't buy a machine if he knew there was a collimation error with it.

That was my whole point as well, especially if you have intentionally hidden the defect.

Yes....they offered the part at supposed cost(~$2500 if i recall), but i havent seen the need for it instead of pushing one button to clear the error.

FWIW, you cant deliver a broken machine ...
Actually, that is the very definition of "as is". If Drtodd wanted assurances that he was purchasing a working c-arm, he should have insisted on including those details in the contract before agreeing to it.

Last edited: