bloody diarrhea...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No i dont have it ...yet, my step 2 isnt for another 3 weeks.

But does anyone know of a good source I can use to try and memorize all the bugs that cuase it. I've missed probably every single bloody diarrhea question on UW so far becuase I dont know what but goes with what food, or what part of the country ect. and can't find anything in any review books.

Thanks.

Im just looking for a quick reference, if no one has anything thats ok.

Members don't see this ad.

Cowboy DO said:

But does anyone know of a good source I can use to try and memorize all the bugs that cuase it. I've missed probably every single bloody diarrhea question on UW so far becuase I dont know what but goes with what food, or what part of the country ect. and can't find anything in any review books.

Thanks.

Hi there
Check out the PM that I sent you.

njbmd :)

organisms that cause bloody diarrhea:
salmonella - chicken, turtles
vibrio - raw seafood/shellfish
campylobacter
shigella
yersinia
e. coli (EHEC) - O157:H7 can lead to HUS (hemolysis + uremia + thrombocytopenia)

giardia, b. cereus, cryptococcus, and viral causes won't give bloody diarrhea

a quick thing that I use is CaSEYS

Ca-Campylobacter
S-Salmonella
E-E.coli (O157:H7); also entameoba can cause it
Y-Yersinia
S-Shigella

obviously some others cause it as well, but this covers the big ones i think. g'luck

ucb

Cowboy DO said:

Thanks.