board certification...really? really? no seriously really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeod2583

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the first round of information on board certification for optometry has been released. IMHO this is not a good idea. As a matter of fact it seems like a horrible idea. This is just another way for this highly legislated profession to funnel our hard earned money into the pockets of those in charge. This is frustrating because no one has discussed the ramifications of certification with students and existing doctors alike. There is a lot of confusion and speculation at this point and that points to signs that board certification is NOT what this profession needs. Do you really think that board certification is going to get doctors on insurance plans, and help this profession achieve higher status with in the medical community? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of board certification.. I have seen more than countable times something along the lines of:

John Smith, OD
Board Certified Optometrist

I've seen this for a couple of years, now.. in different locations across the US. Is there an explanation for this?

As far as what you posted on- I do believe that it is just another way for them to take some of our money. Will it expand our scope of practice or achieve higher status in the medical community? There aren't any promises for that, but the best that we can do is hope that some good will come out of this. I believe they have been working on this for a while.. it was inevitable.

Speaking of board certification.. I have seen more than countable times something along the lines of:

John Smith, OD
Board Certified Optometrist

I've seen this for a couple of years, now.. in different locations across the US. Is there an explanation for this?

As far as what you posted on- I do believe that it is just another way for them to take some of our money. Will it expand our scope of practice or achieve higher status in the medical community? There aren't any promises for that, but the best that we can do is hope that some good will come out of this. I believe they have been working on this for a while.. it was inevitable.

My latest thoughts on the whole BC talk is summed up in your last sentence: "it was inevitable". Even if it is just words on a resume, I believe it will become quite normal to start seeing other ODs trying to distinguish themselves with these titles.