Board certification-what are we really doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phoenix0610

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I, along with many of my colleagues, just got the report back on part I of the boards. I count it amongst my blessings that I passed-I've never had problems with standardized tests, but didn't want to start with one that cost nearly $1500.

Along those lines it was the most frustrating test I've ever taken in my life. I won't go into specifics (big brother is always watching), but I now feel confident that I possess the ability to practice physical medicine and rehabilitation..as it was practiced in the 1960s. I could have skipped residency, and studied the most esoteric parts of our specialty's textbooks, and probably done even better. I'm super excited to shell out another $2K+ to spend a lovely May weekend in Rochester, MN, where I will probably be drilled on more esoterica, this time in person! Oh yeah, I'm in fellowship, so yet another exam on outdated topics. And in 10 years, I get to do it all over again. Yay!

Anybody else feeling just a little hoodwinked by all of this?? Maybe it's just my jaded, post residency haze, tired of being strapped for cash and high stake exams. But with the USMLE steps, I at least felt like it was a fair assessment of the minimal amount of knowledge necessary to be a safe physician. I didn't feel that way AT ALL with part I of the boards. Does anyone feel like they've actually gotten their money's worth with board certification??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's too bad but why am I not surprised. These things change very slowly.

Of course, oral boards in PM&R are a sham and should be abolished.

IMO, board certification is a complete scam and exists at this point only to support ABMS and specifically ABPMR

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you think board cert is bad wait till you get MOC, PIP, and subspecialties. keeps getting better!

LOL. The entire field of medicine is fraudulent. Everything from the cost of tuition, MCAT, applications to med school, COMLEX/USMLE, residency pay, board certification, medical licensure, re-certifications, variety of required association fees, and CMEs. The governing bodies know that they can charge what they please...doctors don't fight back because we are too frickin busy. Not to mention the insanely low reimbursements for most medical services provided by physicians and the increasing amount of time documenting and not seeing patients.

I'm only a PGY-2 and everything about the past year and a half has really made me dislike the current state of medicine (understatement). I'm glad to know it won't get any better. Residency to this point has felt like a total sham and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the sham continues.