Board preparations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goldorak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips or reference for radiation oncology physics boards ??

Members don't see this ad.

I found the Caggiano notes (from Osler, I think) to be helpful when reviewing the info and concepts. I felt like I was finally learning physics for the first time. The stanton and stinton book is also helpful for this, but not as thorough.

It's very important to do PROBLEMS, because a big chunk of the exam involves solving problems and doing calculations. The RAPHEX is key in this regard. I would do several years of RAPHEX exams to prepare for this part.

Unless you enjoy inflicting pain and agony on yourself, I would avoid even looking at Khan (unless you're into that kind of thing :laugh:)

Last edited:
Caggiano notes are extremely helpful, supplemented by Khan text only for few topics. I wouldn't read the entire text. RAFEX problems are good, but tend to be a bit simpler than real boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you say is the percentage breakdown of calculations versus conceptual problems? I have heard very mixed reviews on that. One of my prior chiefs told me he did not even use his calculator once. The very next year, my current chief said she felt about 50% of her test involved calculations.

I'm sure there is year-to-year (and possibly even test-to-test) variability on these things..but for those who have taken the exam, what was your experience?

And for the calculations, were they mostly one-step type plug & chug questions, or more involved than that?

Thanks,
ND

The test changes from year to year as questions are drawn from a vast database. Most questions are plug and chug type questions. Just know how to do the basic stuff like collimator rotation/couch kick/skin gap/etc. Also be very comfortable with TAR/TMR calcs and the like.

Added: I believe everyone gets the same questions but they are arranged in a random order.

Last edited:
Does any one has recalls from the physics exam ??

How can I get the cajiano notes ??
Caggiano has written two chapters in 'clinical fundamentals for radiation oncologists' published by medical physics publishing, printed 2011. They also have the Raphex for physics practice exams.