Body Image And PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

findmeasapt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll just cut to the chase with this posting. And I am not looking for any sort of pity or anything its just something I am struggling with and would love some sincere advice. Basically, for the past few years throughout college I struggled with anxiety and depression - I was recently diagnosed. It changed everything for me my motivation to work out, do things I normally enjoyed doing etc. It was not until recently over the past 6 months that I sought help that I am able to cope with everything and doing much better! But, one thing I do struggle with is my weight, because I was in a bad place before I gained weight but have been trying to get back to living a healthy lifestyle. I got accepted in to a PT program and I know there is a lot of interaction with one another when it comes to learning how to work with the human body. I am a little self conscious about this, but I am trying to get better at not feeling this way. I was just wondering if there was anyone else who has struggled with this? I want to move in a positive direction and start PT school on a good note. Any advice on how you have handled this?

I really appreciate any and all advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

PT school is a non-judgement zone. Those who do not abide by this rule learn really quick.

PT school is also a great place to get fit. There will be a lot of people who can help you achieve your goals, both academics and health.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't started PT school just yet, so I can't confirm anything. From what I understand, PT school isn't competitive or judgemental. Everyone should care about your health and wellbeing, and support you in classes and life and exercise, if you need their support. Not everyone will look like fitness models, nor will you expected to be in the best shape of your life. I'm a little nervous about it too, but I think I'll quickly get over it once I'm around the same classmates every day.

Here are a couple past threads that may help you out:

Body Image and PT School
Taking shirt off in PT school
Do you have to be "sporty" to be a good physical therapist?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I'm also recovering from depression and anorexia. Developing a healthy lifestyle and becoming active has motivated me to help others which is why I found PT! You're not alone in this struggle either, from what I've seen though PT students and PT's seem very friendly so I don't think this should be a problem for us. I've really been realizing that it's all about your perspective on everything, so as hard as it is just try to keep a positive outlook on everything and it'll make you feel okay during tough times. Goodluck, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one with these issues either!

Hi,

I'll just cut to the chase with this posting. And I am not looking for any sort of pity or anything its just something I am struggling with and would love some sincere advice. Basically, for the past few years throughout college I struggled with anxiety and depression - I was recently diagnosed. It changed everything for me my motivation to work out, do things I normally enjoyed doing etc. It was not until recently over the past 6 months that I sought help that I am able to cope with everything and doing much better! But, one thing I do struggle with is my weight, because I was in a bad place before I gained weight but have been trying to get back to living a healthy lifestyle. I got accepted in to a PT program and I know there is a lot of interaction with one another when it comes to learning how to work with the human body. I am a little self conscious about this, but I am trying to get better at not feeling this way. I was just wondering if there was anyone else who has struggled with this? I want to move in a positive direction and start PT school on a good note. Any advice on how you have handled this?

You're not alone. You can change it. Switch your diet to being as healthy as possible. Eat at good intervals. Try group fitness or goal setting fitness classes. Yoga and meditation a few minutes a day can do wonders. Severely limit alcohol consumption and do physical activity instead of drinking when in a bad mood swing. Experiment with exercise types to find what has the best stimulation level for you. Try to keep your sleep cycle balanced. See a psychologist or licensed mental health counselor for stress reduction techniques and coping skills. Avoid constant cycling of "what ifs." Avoid fearmongering people and start to learn and recognize now how to evaluate your own stress responses and thought patterns (i.e. you notice a small bit of information comes into your head and immediately trigger a stress response....objectify it. why am I feeling this way? Is this actually a rationale thing? Consider the facts.) Stay close with your family.

Remember that there's nothing wrong with you. You can adapt and get better control to be a stronger person. You can empathize with patients and recognize when they're going through similar things.

Like others said: PT schools is a total non-judgement zone. We work with people from all walks of life everyday, from the most beautiful, to the not-so most beautiful. We work with bad smells, touch gross things, etc. With that being said, we had many people in AMAZING shape, and those that were 50-75lbs overweight. I was not one of the overweight ones, but definitely the completely out of shape, skinny-but-fat guys in school. No one cares. The only time in school we felt 'uncomfortable' was when we had to perform femoral palpation and coccyx manipulation to each other. Can't say I didn't enjoy doing that with the pretty girls in class. :D

Hi,

You need to find a physchologist or psychiatrist near your PT school so you can cotninue to manage your symptoms, as you are about to add some more stress into the equation. It's best to be proactive about this rather than wait for your anxiety to increase and then try to dig yoru way out.

No one in PT school has the gall or audacity to point out that you're fat or overweight. No one. My partner in PT school was overweight (insert fat joke here) but she had a 3.9 GPA and won the award for best student in the class. It's easier to lose weight than it is to make your brain smarter.

I recommend an external restraint like the Kitchen Safe. It's a time-released container. You put food, your phone, and your credit cards in there so you can't access them until the time has expired. I wish I had had it during PT school.

www.theKitchensafe.com

PT students for the most part are seriously pretty chill. There's a really type-A person here and there for sure, but they still won't be judgemental to you. In my class we have so many older and non-traditional students too that people have a little more wisdom about what is worth worrying about and what's not. I can almost guarantee you that by the time the first week is over the class will be one big happy family and you will have already formed some great friendships. PT school is soooo much better than college in terms of your day to day interactions with other students. You're going to school with people who are smart and have similar goals to you. And you will be studying so much there won't be any time for anyone to care who's fat anyway. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm super nervous about this too... just starting coming back from an injury that severely limited my exercise for the last year and gained 30lb in the process... However, I know that I am fit and strong even if I may not look as fit as someone who is naturally thin. I've found that most PTs I know tend to be the most understanding about the struggle of trying to get a post injury body back in shape, but of course I'm extremely nervous about having so many strangers see my body when it is not in optimal form. Regardless, in the end, having a perfect body won't make me a better PT, but performing well in school will, and that should be my main focus.

The rest went to medical school don't worry about them.

For sure. We only really have 1 or 2 in my class. PT students are way more awesome than the overall college student population :)

For sure. We only really have 1 or 2 in my class. PT students are way more awesome than the overall college student population :)
Summer sesh start? Im assuming nobody is showing up in their pajamas to class anymore either

Thanks everyone! Your kind words really helped good to know I'm not the only one. I feel fortunate to be going in to such a supportive career :)

If you don't look swole, who could ever take you seriously? You gotta get nasty in the gym this summer

If you don't look swole, who could ever take you seriously? You gotta get nasty in the gym this summer

Troll harder bro. Pulling 1/10 currently.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm currently in my first semester of school, and I will say that there are a lot of high athletic achievers in my class. So....any normal person is also going to feel insecure next to all these types of people. There's even a girl who ran a sub 3-hr marathon in Boston this past spring. However, in lab we are all so focused on getting it "right" there's really no time to compare yourself to others. The beauty of PT school, as mentioned by so many others in this post, is that you are with a group of genuine and caring people, who aren't going to judge you just because you aren't in the same level of insane fitness.

So, what I'm saying is that you're not alone in your insecurity, and that's OK.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently in my first semester of school, and I will say that there are a lot of high athletic achievers in my class. So....any normal person is also going to feel insecure next to all these types of people. There's even a girl who ran a sub 3-hr marathon in Boston this past spring. However, in lab we are all so focused on getting it "right" there's really no time to compare yourself to others. The beauty of PT school, as mentioned by so many others in this post, is that you are with a group of genuine and caring people, who aren't going to judge you just because you aren't in the same level of insane fitness.

So, what I'm saying is that you're not alone in your insecurity, and that's OK.

Wholly jumping gazelle! Sub 3-hour marathon? Forget body image, I'd be subconscious about that! IDK your classmate, but she's my spirit animal.

Wholly jumping gazelle! Sub 3-hour marathon? Forget body image, I'd be subconscious about that! IDK your classmate, but she's my spirit animal.

That's an unreal time, especially for a girl (and please don't jump on me for that, average female running times are consistently slower than male times is all!).

I'm a guy, and I'm right around that for my marathon PR...actually training for another one this fall, but I'm actually having a hard time with how I look because of running now. It's like every other guy in the program and the year above us is a body builder and I feel like a twig next to everyone. I still lift 3x per week but high mileage running doesn't really allow room for mass. 6'1" 155lbs never felt so small lol

Actually seriously considering taking some time off this winter to focus more on lifting even though I don't really enjoy it.

PT students for the most part are seriously pretty chill. There's a really type-A person here and there for sure, but they still won't be judgemental to you. In my class we have so many older and non-traditional students too that people have a little more wisdom about what is worth worrying about and what's not. I can almost guarantee you that by the time the first week is over the class will be one big happy family and you will have already formed some great friendships. PT school is soooo much better than college in terms of your day to day interactions with other students. You're going to school with people who are smart and have similar goals to you. And you will be studying so much there won't be any time for anyone to care who's fat anyway. :)

Heh hello there fellow first year :)

Totally my experience as well. People are very chill, at least in my cohort, and you pretty much described my class to a t.