Army BOLC uniform - Should I get everything on the list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to BOLC this summer. This is the current packing/purchase list:

List of things to bring/purchase

Should I get everything? I would like to not spend money on things I won't use. Anything on the list I should not get or definitely not pass up? Any other advice on this topic? Any recommendations for boots or alternatives to the stock clothing?

How much do you end up using this clothing in the hospital or as an army physician or during residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Get the ACU and IPFU sets. Get at least 2 ACUs, with all the accoutrements. You do not need the ASUs. 1 pair of boots good enough. As far as the "5-8 of items" - it depends on how much you like to do laundry. No one is going to check how many sock pairs you got.

I am not sure what you mean by alternatives. The only choices you have are in the boots - go to a mil store and check out whatever fits you better. Don't bother overspending, and consider Ebay once you figure out your size.

As a physician - depends on your command. I haven't worn my ACUs in 2 months. I have never had to wear my ASU

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We had an ASU inspection when I went to BOLC. It wasn't like it was a surprise though, so you could wait to see if you need it until after you're there.

contacts are contraband items?

yah, I saw something saying ASUs were optional.

Should I get everything? I would like to not spend money on things I won't use. Anything on the list I should not get or definitely not pass up? Any other advice on this topic? Any recommendations for boots or alternatives to the stock clothing?

How much do you end up using this clothing in the hospital or as an army physician or during residency?

I wouldn't worry about buying any of the cold weather PT gear now (listed as IPFU pants and jacket on that list). Not a chance you'll use it.

Can anyone add to this for ODS/Navy uniform reqs?

Don't wear contacts to Bullis as you get CS gassed there. At least I did, and had to take them out with no case to put them in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bring whatever uniforms you have to Newport. What you don't have can be bought at the uniform exchange. The only service I no nothing about is the AF.

Bring whatever uniforms you have to Newport. What you don't have can be bought at the uniform exchange. The only service I no nothing about is the AF.

Are there any uniforms (Navy) that I don't need to buy?

1 - I wore contacts the entire time I was at BOLC. They were contraband at that time. They gave me BCGs, I put them on with my contacts in place, told the NCO they worked just fine, and put then took the BCGs off again. Never used them after that. Worst case scenario you lose a pair of contacts.

2 - I would actually spend a little extra if it meant a better-fitting pair of boots. I do wear my ACUs for clinic because that's what the hospital command directs. Nothing inspires patients more than seeing their physician in an ACU. I wore them intermittently in residency, but not often. In any case, I bought a nice pair of boots, and I'm happy that I did every time I wear them - solely for comfort purposes.

3 - You will need an ASU for your official DA photo, if you plan on being promoted to Major at some point, which I would recommend solely for the purposes of pay. I definitely did not need my Class As for BOLC, but I had already bought them because I wanted to make sure that I got to buy the ASU as well (sarcasm).

How do you know what really fits, though? I'm wary to buy uniforms online without actually trying them on first.

You won't need this one
navy_dungtrop.gif

Thank goodness! Finally a proper camo uniform.

Reactions: 1 user